Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

MassGaydiation t1_iuvw2hs wrote

This is awesome, I love algal reactors and their applications, can't wait to see this develop further

Contundo t1_iux5zhb wrote

That and yeast. Like spider silk made by yeast, how cool is that?

mule_roany_mare t1_iuxarde wrote

Not gonna lie, I've fully bought into the potential of fungi-technology.

They are weird little >!fun!<guys with tons of potential

daikarasu t1_iuxv0x0 wrote

I firmly believe that we're living out the early days of the biotechnology revolution. We're hitting milestones of understanding like crazy right now, it's only a matter of time before proof of concept scale development, industry scale development can't be that much farther behind

Blond_Specter t1_iuxyv2h wrote

I hate to say it because the game was a little disappointing but

that future would be such a Scor(n)e!

-ipa t1_iuye3dl wrote

Doesn't it cost a ton of money and CO² to produce all that coffee and transport it? Or is it significantly less than production and transport of palm oil?

MassGaydiation t1_iuyg5pm wrote

I think the assumption is the coffee is going to get drunk anyway, so this will at least use the grounds up afterwards

monos_muertos t1_iuymql1 wrote

I've been using coffee ground on my compost and it's really been working out. I take several used cartridges, dump them into a container, let the mycelium spread, then put it on top of the compost that will be used in the current year.

MassGaydiation t1_iuymxyn wrote

Fair enough, i can still see the value in this though, especially for big companies

brendanflaherty1983 t1_iv0qsx8 wrote

Palm oil production is incredibly bad for the environment, but all of the current alternatives are worse. New technologies such as this that could potentially be a net positive for the environment are really exciting.

Archelon_ischyros t1_iuzkxiu wrote

The biggest issue with respect to biofuel from algae is how to economically extract the oil, not what to feed the algae. There hasn't been any real success in that area.

MassGaydiation t1_iv08mdm wrote

This cam still be awesome, even if its not the most important thing that needs to be looked at.