Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

SigmundFreud OP t1_iwuo181 wrote

Submission statement: I thought this was a really interesting look at how we're already being forced to adapt to extreme conditions in some parts of the world. This may also be a sneak peek into what the future could look like for many of the rest of us.

AJMax104 t1_iwupyrm wrote

Statistics back up how more murderous people become when summer arrives.

So look forward to a hot angry world

FuturologyBot t1_iwus5yz wrote

The following submission statement was provided by /u/SigmundFreud:

Submission statement: I thought this was a really interesting look at how we're already being forced to adapt to extreme conditions in some parts of the world. This may also be a sneak peek into what the future could look like for many of the rest of us.

Please reply to OP's comment here: https://old.reddit.com/r/Futurology/comments/yykxjm/extreme_heat_will_change_us/iwuo181/

DoomGoober t1_iwustbf wrote

Add increased humidity in some areas and the temperatures become literally unsurvivable beyond a relatively short period of time (hours).

The human body cools mainly via evaporation. Too hot and too humid and you have a wet bulb event (wet bulb is a simple way of measuring heat + humidity) where the body cannot physically cool itself faster than it generates heat. The body's core temperature rises continuously until multiple organs begin to fail and the person dies, unless they can find some kind of cooling.

(The scariest heat related organ failure is that so many of your muscle cells die, the kidney cannot filter out the excessive protein in your blood. And of course the kidney would likely be damaged directly by the heat, so it's a one two punch.)

thelionslaw t1_iwuts8k wrote

That first video (of the pigeons): 131^(o) sand and my boy still trying to get laid

rondertopoa t1_iwuudgh wrote

“It just got warm out, this this shit I've been warned about

I hope that it storm in the morning, I hope that it's pouring out

I hate crowded beaches, I hate the sound of fireworks

And I ponder what's worse between knowing it's over and dying first

'Cause everybody dies in the summer

Wanna say ya goodbyes, tell them while it's spring

I heard everybody's dying in the summer, so pray to God for a little more spring

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared, too

If you was there, then we just knew you'd care, too”

Unlimitles t1_iwuuyxy wrote

yes....for those that can Survive it, the extreme heat is going to Elevate our Spirits so that we can Evolve to the next level of our existence, whatever that form may be.

−7

springlord t1_iwv08mk wrote

Wait to see how we will get changed by depleting natural resources, including end of cheap energy and access to fresh water for the majority of us, in a world utterly polluted with microplastics and heavy metals.

littlemegzz t1_iwv0bcl wrote

As someone who lives in a desert, I can confirm how much happier I am once temps lower from triple digits

SignificantGold1917 t1_iwv1wec wrote

On a 100 degree day beach sand reach's 130. You have a single hundred degree day and people start to lose their shit. That's either weakness, political brainwashing, or stupidity take your pick. If a political party wants my vote they are gonna have to open their wallets. Miss me with those head games.

−9

ronnyhugo t1_iwv28rs wrote

Top tip; Insulation helps with heat. IIRC its a very recent development that California added any real insulation to building codes.

Good insulation is the only reason AC units are so rare in Norway, because in summer when its really hot (well, hot for us) we just close our windows in the morning (having been open all night) so we keep the night cold inside and heat outside through the day until it starts cooling down outside.

ItilityMSP t1_iwv5qq9 wrote

Sorry, I took a wrong turn, I didn't know r/futurology has merged with r/collapse. I guess the future is r/collapse.

maxintos t1_iwvdlan wrote

This only works because nights get actually cold in Norway and other nordic countries. In most actually hot places it's still +25c or hotter during the night.

ronnyhugo t1_iwvgnzh wrote

There you'd have the windows closed all the time, and not insulate underneath your house (in Norway we also insulate under the house). The ground under the house is the yearly average temperature (day and night).

Which is also why geothermal will be important. Both as a place to put the heat from the AC, and in colder climates as a way to have a constant temperature to pick up heat from (a heat pump is just an AC unit that has the hot side inside instead of outside).

IronPheasant t1_iwvifpr wrote

You're looking for r/singularity if you're looking for living in the matrix with your robot wife while being immortal and on welfare. (r/longevity for a more grounded view on the curing aging thing.)

A beautiful dream, but futurology hasn't been like that for the past ten years, as extreme optimism shifted into realistic pessimism. Daily reminder even Kurzweil thinks a technological singularity would have around a 50% chance of being a net positive to human life, and he notes that people think of him as an "optimist."

Tombfyre t1_iwvrp04 wrote

I like that they highlighted some things that could be changed to help everyone as the climate continues to shift. More tree cover for microclimates and shade, more canals for thermal management, etc. Might also have to bring more things indoors, but they should be interconnected to encourage walkability. All the while emissions should be brought down to continue fixing the problem!

Advanced_Double_42 t1_iwvwoiv wrote

Honestly this is a pretty optimistic article as far as climate change goes.

It only really shows current conditions. Even best-case scenarios of climate change mean that the conditions they show will become more common in more places.

Advanced_Double_42 t1_iwvzioq wrote

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Distilled-Water

The first two setups are great if you have a stove or fire. Ice is not necessary, but will speed it up.

Personally, I would run rain-water through one of the first two setups, but it should be drinkable as is.

https://www.distilledwaterassociation.org/2018/08/08/how-to-make-distilled-water-easy-with-the-power-of-the-sun/

This can work too if you have no heat source, but will be much slower. It is essentially the 1st setup from WikiHow, but with tarps and the sun.

alpha69 t1_iwwj5b7 wrote

Having more than 3 months a year of decent weather in Canada will definitely be an adjustment.

Straight_Ship2087 t1_iwxvnd1 wrote

To add to this, lookup "earthships". There is a ton of valuable energy in human waste, in both the form of fuel and fertilizer. There are plenty of ways to recycle water while preserving the valuable parts (and not dying of dysentery).

frequenttimetraveler t1_iwy7ipi wrote

Drama-as-a-service provided by the NYtimes . World is ending, pray for your sins redditor. Also pay your subscription

Ozy_Flame t1_iwz25t3 wrote

I honestly think a topic no one seems to want to talk about is a better relationship with death.

As more extreme events happen in the world, I would be interested in having better access to life-ending services, especially if my life cannot escape calamity.

Merciful, respectful methods of assisted dying is something sorrowly lacking around the globe due to conventional and antiquated cultural and religious approaches to a phenomenon as natural as air, water, or life itself.

ItilityMSP t1_iwz7ttv wrote

Doesn’t work in a heat bubble…same strategy in Canada…In a heat bubble, after a day or two night time temperatures are still above body temperature which is unbearable…throw in a nearby forest fire and well opening a window is no longer an option.

ronnyhugo t1_iwzb9j3 wrote

Then you'd have the windows closed so that the tiny amount of heat that does come in through a well-insulated house, can go into the ground which is always the annual average temperature.

Not_invented-Here t1_iwzqgcn wrote

Annual temp of Norway though is a bit different from the tropics which is going to sit around 25-30 C, add in a well insulated place and humidity and I feel its less fun. I don't think the ground insulation or not is going to take away heat fast enough. You're still going to need some form of AC.

StSalvage t1_ix0x53g wrote

We can all move to Canada, Alaska and Greenland. Likewise Mother Russia can open her arms and the multitudes will go flooding in. There's room for ten billion up there in those places if you'd all spread out, grow your own food and deal with your own waste. Cities though are a bad idea. What's required is many hundreds of thousands of small, sustainable settlements utilizing localized renewable energy and manpower.

NotSoSalty t1_ix89r8i wrote

Chemical contaminants that have a boiling point near water will contaminate your distilled water. Just boiling it isn't good enough. Even physical contaminates that are light enough to be carried by vapor will still be in your water. Boiling is only a single step in the water purification process.

It's better than nothing, but not a good long term solution.

If you were to live anywhere near fertilizer, boiling is not good enough.

I understand what you mean. Boiling water and capturing the water vapor ain't gonna cut it.

Advanced_Double_42 t1_ix8wj7c wrote

I mean humans used to just drink water from random wells, springs, and streams.

Distillation may not be perfect, but I'd argue it is more often overkill than insufficient in survival scenarios.

Maintaining a reverse osmosis system or getting access to chlorine/iodine to purify the water is a much harder and come with their own downsides too.