Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

BeowulfsGhost t1_iy44iti wrote

I thought this had been debunked and shown to be shitty science? At 8 billion, I’d say we’re doing fine.

b16b34r t1_iy4bge0 wrote

The world could spare 7 billions of humans and mankind will be fine

Tech_Philosophy t1_iy4vm14 wrote

Ironically we may be too far into the climate crisis for this statement to be true. We are now counting on enough free hands to work to repair the damage done. Too few hands, and we venture much further into the altered climate's future.

b16b34r t1_iy5ezg4 wrote

Nature doesn’t need our hands to fight this, if suddenly there is 7 billion people less, nature will reclaim a lot of land, more trees more CO2 captured, and at the same time 80+% less pollution, sadly the best course for the planet would be drastic population reduction or even our extinction, we are the planets plague

7th_Level_of_Hell t1_iy7ddkq wrote

If 7 billion people suddenly disappeared demand pull inflation would be eradicated

crappyITkid t1_iy85inv wrote

Source? I'm pretty sure sperm count data at least in the past 20 years has been scientifically sound and that has shown an even sharper drop.

BeowulfsGhost t1_iy8aqjq wrote

I don’t have it handy, but variations of the OP have been posted several times in the last few weeks in this sub and others made that point.

Gari_305 OP t1_iy3no6y wrote

From the Article

>It’s important to remember that when the fertility rate declines below replacement—currently 2.1 births per woman in so-called developed countries—populations shrink. This may not be a bad thing at first since overpopulation and overconsumption are huge barriers to building sustainable societies. But there comes a point when if fertility rates don’t level off and then rise to replacement, extinction become a possibility.
>
>That is apparently where we are heading as a global society. A phenomenon as complex as fertility cannot be explained by one or even a few factors. There is, for example, what is called the “demographic transition,” a theory which posits that the size of households declines as societies industrialize. This could result from many factors such as the empowerment of women (to control their own fertility); improvements in public health and nutrition that reduce mortality among infants and children (making parents less likely to have many children because some are likely to die); the rising cost of raising and educating children; and cultural factors that lead parents to want to have more time for themselves.

WaitingForNormal t1_iy3p4oa wrote

I’m surprised religious factions haven’t latched on to this kind of info. Wouldn’t this be a “sign from god” for them. And wouldn’t that sign be “I want you to stop having kids”?

SillyNluv t1_iy3w3at wrote

They have latched onto this but went the other way with it. Check out the quiverfull movement.

WaitingForNormal t1_iy3wttm wrote

Yeah, I had never heard of them. More nuts and their “biblical beliefs”. Forcing births and not allowing people to make their own choices. Just another example of the so called religious embracing fascism.

kolitics t1_iy4ljrd wrote

The average ejaculation contains 200 million - 500 million more sperm than it needs.

bigatjoon t1_iy54yy3 wrote

I assume most of us have heard of seed banks, which is where plant seeds are kept in case of extinction.

Men: if the government of your country decided to ask all men to donate their seed to a human seed bank, in preparation for the time that sperm counts lower to zero, would you donate?

DaHairyKlingons t1_iy73wtu wrote

Yes, but as a former CK underwear model, with a PHD in Quantum Physics, who volunteers to help sick puppies and likes to walk & clean the rubbish off beaches, only because I struggle to find time for Love... /s Your profile will be important.

FuturologyBot t1_iy3rith wrote

The following submission statement was provided by /u/Gari_305:

From the Article

>It’s important to remember that when the fertility rate declines below replacement—currently 2.1 births per woman in so-called developed countries—populations shrink. This may not be a bad thing at first since overpopulation and overconsumption are huge barriers to building sustainable societies. But there comes a point when if fertility rates don’t level off and then rise to replacement, extinction become a possibility.
>
>That is apparently where we are heading as a global society. A phenomenon as complex as fertility cannot be explained by one or even a few factors. There is, for example, what is called the “demographic transition,” a theory which posits that the size of households declines as societies industrialize. This could result from many factors such as the empowerment of women (to control their own fertility); improvements in public health and nutrition that reduce mortality among infants and children (making parents less likely to have many children because some are likely to die); the rising cost of raising and educating children; and cultural factors that lead parents to want to have more time for themselves.

Please reply to OP's comment here: https://old.reddit.com/r/Futurology/comments/z6y8xa/path_to_extinction_sperm_count_accelerates_its/iy3no6y/

OliverSparrow t1_iydqkw3 wrote

Whose sperm are they counting? Young men. What do young men do more than their predecessors? Wank.

AcademicGuest t1_iy3vxm1 wrote

No and don’t let psycho nick get away with human trafficking and raping families.

−2