Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

jawshoeaw t1_j2cnxes wrote

It’s not lazy it’s accurate when it comes to hydrogen. The only cheap source of hydrogen is methane right now. Once solar and wind power are built out to the point we have surplus electricity then you can start making hydrogen essentially for free via electrolysis. But until then petroleum companies are going to do what companies do: lie cheat and steal to stay in business.

belligerentunicorn1 t1_j2coana wrote

You forget nuke. Seems like building on a strong base is a better plan. Solar / wind can never be base. Battery tech is dirty in the supply chain.

Aviation might actually make hydrogen work, doubt the battery tech is going to solve for larger applications.

Being blinded by anti-oil bias is going to result in suboptimal solutions.

jawshoeaw t1_j2cosd4 wrote

I could see nuclear powered hydrogen generators yeah. Batteries do have some dirty components but they are finding ways around them. And lithium may someday be sourced more cleanly, and if we’re dreaming , from seawater . I’m excited about lithium - sulfur (that’s still in the lab ). But right now they are already starting to build iron batteries and iron salt flow batteries for grid scale storage , and if they live up to the hype I could see wind/solar finally scale up to base load.