Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

flarelordfenix t1_izzfqzk wrote

Planned Obsolescence will never let us get these, I'm sure.

duxpdx t1_izznh4w wrote

Actually this is probably incorrect, at least for vehicles. Most people don’t wait for their engine to die before getting a new car. Having a vehicle battery that can maintain its storage capacity would be a huge benefit for the adoption of EVs, as well as for the used and new car markets. Auto manufacturers make more on a battery in a new car than in having to sell one to replace a depleted battery in an old car. The residual value of batteries from older vehicles would be a benefit to the used car and salvage markets. Your car frame might be totaled but your battery might be reusable or recyclable.

Fantasy_masterMC t1_j019bx6 wrote

While I agree planned obsolesce is an obstacle, you have to consider the primary uses for such batteries. Electric cars, mobile devices (phone, tablet, laptop, accessories), and (solar) power storage are the first things to come to mind.

With electric cars, most people that can afford a modern electric car will replace it long before battery degradation becomes a true factor.

With mobile devices, unless they regularly complete full cycles, other features will be obsolete long before battery truly becomes a problem. My current ancient Huawei p8 lite has more issues with memory (severely limiting the amount of apps I can install without needing to delete others) than it has with battery, though now after 6+ years of daily use it's finally showing serious battery degradation.

Stuff like Musks' power cell thingy seem like the most likely thing where degradation would be the main obsolescence factor, but those things are expensive enough that it probably doesn't need obsolescence to be planned, as by the time it would factor in there'd be a new, much better product already available, and the 'profit' from the purchase of the previous likely would not be 'used up' just yet.

Ubergoober166 t1_izzi09a wrote

Any technology that could potentially be a one time purchase would be snatched up and thrown in a vault by some big corporation. If there's no way to keep making consumers pay for the same thing repeatedly, their business model collapses.

−6

aeusoes1 t1_izzj1c9 wrote

Metaphorically speaking, yes. In actuality, what they would do is snatch up the rights and sue anyone who tried to use anything that resembled "their: intellectual property.

winnie33 t1_izziohs wrote

Perhaps a subscription model would be possible? For some money each month, the company provides you access to a device. If it breaks or wears down you can replace it for free. Incentivizes companies to make their product as durable as possible.

−7