Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

random_shitter t1_j1z31y9 wrote

... And still the IEA noted that current global renewables investments are 30% higher than projected just a year ago.

grundar t1_j22hl1p wrote

> And still the IEA noted that current global renewables investments are 30% higher than projected just a year ago.

Slight correction, the 30% increase is to what will be installed over the period 2022-2027, not just for 2022 (IEA report).

However, that's a pretty minor correction, as the phrase the prior comment was complaining about is pretty much straight from the title of the IEA's press report:
> "Renewable power’s growth is being turbocharged as countries seek to strengthen energy security"

Bugfrag t1_j1zgy8k wrote

In any case, a 30%-higher-than-project means that the IEA projection is off.

It says nothing about the actual investment amount

−1

random_shitter t1_j20mjg6 wrote

>Global investment in energy is linearly increasing over time since the early 2000s. It's following a trend well established from previous years.

>a 30%-higher-than-project means that the IEA projection is off.

You just say anything to stick to your mantra. Sigh.

Bugfrag t1_j21wpml wrote

Ok. Let's do this properly then:

A) Can you source the claim that it's 30% higher than projected?

B) Can you describe/cite the methodology for projection

It's your claim, so back it up

I already read the IEA Jan 2022 report. It's not there. https://www.iea.org/reports/world-energy-investment-2022 See

−3

random_shitter t1_j234jom wrote

Sigh.

>In December, the International Energy Agency published two important reports that point to the future of renewable energy.

>First, the IEA revised its projection of renewable energy growth upward by 30%.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2022/12/small-islands-and-putins-war-are-accelerating-the-global-shift-to-clean-energy-in-2023/

You're a bad faith arguer. You may reply but I will stop wasting time on your nonsense.

Bugfrag t1_j236zyt wrote

A) Things could have been simpler if you simply put the link to the IEA report. Why do you expect anybody to have stumbled into the Honolulu Civilbeat?

B) Clearly you didn't look at my post which referred to global investment. You would have noticed that the units are in dollars.

Your cited resource refers to global capacity, units in GW. These are not equivalent comparisons.

Note that both of my sources (including report from IEA that I searched myself because you didn't provide any) report things in $.

Did you even check out the two references I posted?

In conclusion:

• you made a claim without support
  • when pushed for data, presented items that's not even in the same unit.

Bugfrag t1_j238s4x wrote

And lastly, after reading the methodology to get that 30% number:

The IEA are changing the forecast model for cumulative capacity of 2022-2027 time frame. Their earlier forecast was off. (Read page 17-18 on the IEA report, but it's in the secondary Civilbeat digest)

It's definitely not a year-to-year change

Actual change in capacity is linear (see page 21 on the IEA report, not on Civil beat)