Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Faroutman1234 t1_j66m8n4 wrote

What happens if you lose your cooling system? Will it rupture the tank and explode? Seems like it would take a lot of energy to keep it cold.

Hypx OP t1_j66p3d1 wrote

> Is active cooling required? “No,” says Brunner. “The insulation we use is enough to keep the system cold. When you drive the truck, you discharge cold gas from the insulated tank which cools down the tank by itself — this is simply thermodynamics. And even if you make a warm filling, you drive again, and it is cooled down again and gets back into the high-density regions of the operating range. So, we never need to actively cool, but instead the system cools itself by being used and by discharging hydrogen.”

So apparently no active cooling needed.

ajmmsr t1_j6bnu6t wrote

And if you have a pretty full tank and don’t use it, I’d expect to warm up eventually, right? There must be a pressure relief valve I’m guessing. Then the question is how long can it just sit? Gasoline has a shelf life too but you can add something like Stabile to extend it in some circumstances…

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that to store gasoline or it might have been crude oil costs about $2 a barrel… probably crude

Hypx OP t1_j6c9mf5 wrote

I'm guessing a very slow leak out. It will make sense to have multiple redundancies, so at the very least you won't have a sudden release of hydrogen.