Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Internauta29 t1_j4x9f1p wrote

You speak as though these automatons constructs of robotics and AI will be economically accessible and cheaper to maintain than human workers. It will certainly be this way one day, but it won't be in 20 years, not on the physical side of things.

Xyrus2000 t1_j4xdsim wrote

This robot has an estimated cost of $150,000 if produced at scale. Even at that price such an automaton would pay for itself in just a few years.

This is going to happen faster than you think it will. Amazon isn't sinking millions into AI and robotics because they think the payoff is more than 20 years out. They already have a new robot that will "free up workers" (to go find new jobs).

Inphearian t1_j4y8t35 wrote

How hard would it be for them do interior walls for an apartment complex or an office?

Just load the grid that they need and make sure it has all the supplies and let it go. It dosnt no show, come in late or hungover have to pick up it’s kids or ex. It dosnt care if it’s day or night, weekend or weekday.

LegislativeOrgy t1_j4z2m7s wrote

It also doesn't do anything but stay balanced and do flips. It doesn't climb the scaffolding one leg at a time. It has to leap up with both feet. This thing could do simple remodel work but there is a long way to go before this is anything more than a space drone.

And we know complex technology like this ALWAYS works when you need it to. Just like Tesla's auto pilot. It's smart like that.

Dinsdaleart t1_j4zsh4e wrote

Tbf mate look at how enormous the computers NASA used to use in the 60's, and look how quickly that power was scaled down by the early 90's- the fact we have AI, automation and a far better understanding of things like this now I could feasibly see this happening a lot quicker and tbh I welcome it, it'd make society really look at itself and how it should prioritise humans autonomy and enjoyment of life over endlessly grinding away the days to make a living.

Internauta29 t1_j4zxa4i wrote

That's related to the advancement of the underlying technology powering computers, transistors. It was a young a quickly improving technology scaling on both effectiveness and efficiency at every new improvement. I don't see this for AI until new computer technology is available, and I especially don't see it with robots.

Furthermore, just like OP, you're only thinking and you bring an example related to a big company, a government company from the wealthiest country in the world no less, as representative of a pervasive reality in the upcoming decades. I know the US is heavily stardardised and every industry is dominated by one or more of such gargantuan companies, but that's not the reality everywhere else in the world, nor is it likely to be an applicable model in other countries apart from a few extremely densely populated areas.

Dinsdaleart t1_j50iuyb wrote

Well then in the case you just mentioned they could do something similar to starlink where it's subsidised by the American government? Also the fact that the space race was heavily pushed by the government of the time as a propaganda tool would be of less importance of say someone like Amazon who could build a couple thousand of those things and have them constantly working unlike a human workforce?

Scope_Dog t1_j56fajo wrote

Well, when you consider how much it costs to put a single live human into space to do work, and keep him alive, etc. it is much much cheaper to send an army of these things.