Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

WEN_QONHIUNG t1_j3hhvwj wrote

Dealing with a real person compels us to be polite, empathetic, and respectful of the other person’s time, effort, and patience in serving our needs. I’d rather just bark commands at an AI, as it is less cognitively taxing.

mydogeatspoop2023 t1_j3jm4at wrote

I hate doing all that extraneous human-interaction stuff when I just need to get what I want. If a machine can do it for me in a few mouseclicks or commands in a terminal it will always be the superior choice.

Of course, I don't see much value in having a waitress serve me, when I could make 20 pre-packaged well-portioned nutritious meals at home in advance, and eat and be done in ten minutes, for $2 a meal. But friends and family see this as lacking in social grace, so I have to go along with the inefficiency (driving to restaurant, ordering, waiting, talking about some trivial thing the other humans care about, etc.)

WEN_QONHIUNG t1_j3jwaq5 wrote

Preaching to the choir! I like human interaction with friends, their friends, and new acquaintances, but when procuring basic goods and services, I’d choose a robot every time.

“Hi how are we all doing today? Can I tell you about our specials tonight? Is there anything else I can get for you?”

Yeah, no, I’ll reach out if I need or want something.

That being said, if I need troubleshooting help, I want a human who speaks both my language and the language of the relevant technology fluently.