Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Jahobes t1_j3i3lsr wrote

Conversely who would you rather prefer to occupy your city. Human beings that can relate to you and have some capacity for empathy and can therefore curb the extremism of hateful orders. Or killer robots that follow orders unquestionably including conducting war crimes with zero hesitation or possiblity of revolt.

Orc_ t1_j3iiudv wrote

Since historically speaking my example is more common than yours (troops choosing mercy against orders) I'll go with the bots

−2

Jahobes t1_j3j4kn8 wrote

That's a really silly counter argument and you clearly haven't put any thought into this. Is the sword worse than a nuke since there are hundreds of millions more examples to choose from? Come on man.

On one hand you have robots who are ultimately controlled by humans. If the robot controllers are genocidal assholes then their commands will be carried out without question.

If genocidal officers order soldiers to be genocidal a few will aim up, some will straight up refuse and someone will tell the outside world what happened out of guilt.

In every possible way the ceiling for the humanity of a robot is the same as a human... But the floor is way way lower.

You send killer bots to wipe out a village they will. No questions asked.

You send humans to wipe out a village. They may or may not but if they did more than likely someone from that team will have a guilt trip 1 year or 20 years after it happened. It will not go unanswered

Orc_ t1_j3jalwx wrote

Not really because I'm not comparing anything against bots I'm comparing your premise against history then extrapolating from that.

You will find 99/100 war crimes in the last 100 years weren't even sanctioned by the tops brass.

Bots follow orders, soldiers follow orders on top of being emotional and erratic.