Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

bnogal t1_j4adqnw wrote

If they know they work mainly for the original virus. Why to request them now that the variants of the virus bypassed the original vaccine

Even more stupid, you may test to have good defenses, as you had other vaccines and passed different version of the virus twice. But still they want you to have their approved vaccines for the alpha variant. A test showing your body will deal with it is not valid.

I don't say vaccines are wrong, just the measures they use seems to me unethical.

I am talking about the situation now, January 2023.

xieta t1_j4amzkt wrote

Ah. Well the weight of evidence suggests vaccination still offers worthwhile protection from transmission (similar to flu shots), and very good protection from serious illness and death, despite being outdated.

Fortunately the mRNA vaccines circa 2023 are all bivalent, mixing the original vaccine with omicro-specific additions, though for earlier sub-variants. These are somewhat more effective.

That protection, especially from severe illness, is why they are still recommended. But if you notice, there are fewer and fewer places with strict vaccine mandates, precisely because everyone has been exposed multiple times and the virus has become so evasive.

What many people forget during the height of vaccine checks/mandates was that was during delta when people still didn’t have any immune protection and we’re dying in droves. Vaccination was really really important for large gatherings then.