Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

mangoriot t1_j70ynx8 wrote

Biontech has failed more than 10 years to pass safety standards for such a medicin. Now after fast track approving the corona vax they can push this one, too. The pharma lobby wins, people die.

−58

QristopherQuixote t1_j728gws wrote

How many lives were saved by the vaccine? Have you looked?

[deleted] t1_j72i0cp wrote

[deleted]

−5

nosmelc t1_j72sd5g wrote

It's not hard to get statistics on how many people were saved by the vaccine. You just look at what percentage of people who die from the disease who didn't get the vaccine compared to the percentage of people who die from the disease who did get the vaccine and apply the difference to the people who got the disease with the vaccine.

CaptainCastaleos t1_j72t6e1 wrote

In a completely controlled environment, sure it would be that easy. Unfortunately, we don't live in such an environment.

There are other variables to account for, such as lifestyle differences between people who do or don't get vaccinated. What proves that the same people that would opt to get vaccinated don't have better hygiene habits, contributing to a lower mortality rate?

This isn't me trying to say that vaccines don't work. Far from it. It's me saying that looking at efficacy takes more critical thinking than just googling a number.

−4

nosmelc t1_j72ti38 wrote

We don't need a controlled environment to get reliable statistics like that. You're talking about hundreds of thousands or even millions of people.

QristopherQuixote t1_j76nuad wrote

Where did you do your graduate work to develop the background necessary to evaluate the work of hundreds if not thousands of PhDs with whom you disagree? I did mine at a big ten university. My first science job was sequencing a bacteriophage now used in gene therapy. However, I am sure your “critical thinking” will allow you to overcome any gaps in your education and experience.

QristopherQuixote t1_j72r6wy wrote

Everything around epidemiology is an estimate, and outcomes have to be measured at the population level due to variance between individuals, which is why anecdotes never qualify as data. You can certainly compare populations who have been vaxxed vs those how have not to build mortality and morbidity models. The issues is the completeness of the variables around each member of both groups, which is the core data collection issue of any population level medical study around humans.

This is easier to do and more reliable than you are indicating when done at the population level. Yes, I have done vaccine efficacy research in the past when I doing systems work in vaccine registries. I have built statistical models and still do. My last gig before my current job was building algorithms around pathogen detection.

[deleted] t1_j72rmew wrote

[deleted]

−2

ChasteAnimation t1_j749gvw wrote

>Never said you didn't. I simply said that asking people to look up a hard number on lives saved isn't realistic.

Oh please dude. Your bias is obvious. You seriously skipped over that brain dead comment to start a line of pedantry...