Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

lupeandstripes t1_j9uwb3v wrote

Another fictional work with a new mental illness is the videogame Cyberpunk 2077 & related media (the anime, Edgerunners does a good job touching on it also), the illness is called cyberpsychosis. Summary here: https://cyberpunk.fandom.com/wiki/Cyberpsychosis

I think the idea that new mental illnesses could come into existence makes sense, and I also think cyberpunk does a good job of justifying it - of course no one could get cyberpsychosis before implants existed, so it being a new condition makes sense.

I'm at work so gotta hop off for now but I might expand my post later, or maybe not if I get busy. I will say this is definitely a cool topic to think about, thanks for bringing it up OP!

Tribblehappy t1_j9uzfa8 wrote

Horizon for bitten west has something where you go through withdrawals if your AR implants are removed so yah, I could see conditions relating to tech being a thing.

CloudAndSea OP t1_j9uziu0 wrote

Yes, I know about Cyberpunk 2077's cyberpsychosis, but it is purely fictional and related to a world that could emerge far away in the future. The premise of the new major mental illness in "Piaget's Last Fear" is extremely plausible right now, in the world we're currently living in.

Jjetsk1_blows t1_j9w14b7 wrote

Had to tack on the “Bleeding effect” from assassins creed too. When the brain can’t tell the difference between simulated life and real life and starts to take a physical toll.

Making the same point here though. The tech’s just not there for weird mental illnesses like this

SerbiousVery t1_j9w3zv8 wrote

>When the brain can’t tell the difference between simulated life and real life

This condition is already known as psychosis (any type of psychosis, eg. Sch).

Jjetsk1_blows t1_j9w5yzw wrote

Nope. This is a real physical manifestation of a simulated reality. Like actual organs shutting down when getting shot or stabbed in a simulated reality. The game’s fictional, but I could see something similar happening somewhere down the line.

Similar to psychosis for sure, but far more extreme (makes for a fun video game).

I get what you’re saying though, just a nuanced difference.

Source: play lots of AC and am psychologist

SerbiousVery t1_j9w7zxm wrote

How do you know that I am not psychologist too? :)

There is no evidence that any reality is "real reality", hence every reality can be considered simulated reality.

The bottom line is, I am kinda right. :)

Jjetsk1_blows t1_ja4946g wrote

I love it! And I do see what you’re saying. I think the main difference is a man-made reality vs the reality we’re in now.

I am a simulation theorist though, so that sends my argument out the window!

I think it’ll be really interesting to see how VR, AR, and neural implants effect psychological states. I could definitely see VR induced psychosis being really rampant