Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

thegreatestpitt t1_ir1afgl wrote

My dudes, I think the sentiment refers to people that for whatever reason feel behind their peers in life, or ahead of them in an awkward way. For example. A guy that had to drop out of college because he was suicidal and really needed to take care of his mental health for a few years, and by the time he starts college again, all his friends are graduating, so he feels left behind, or maybe a a gifted kid who feels isolated because he’s in college at 14 or something and he doesn’t really feel like he can make friends with the 18 year olds, or maybe someone who had to leave school to support their family and now will have to wait for years for the chance to go back to study (idk why all my examples were about school but you get what I mean). The message of the post isn’t to lay about doing nothing while watching life go by. It’s about being kind to yourself if the circumstances of your life placed you outside the status quo and the “must be”.

fAppstore t1_ir304m3 wrote

You will see words getting twisted in the comments of pretty much every post in this subreddit to fit a cynical view of said post. It's sad to see that some commenters here are never trying to understand the point of a message, only saying "well in case x it doesn't work so it's dumb", like if you're not trying to get motivated why are you in the getMotivated subreddit

Bob8644 t1_ir457o5 wrote

That's just the theme of Reddit isn't it?

" BUT WHAT IF THOUGH???? "

ZenKB t1_ir4z4b2 wrote

*the whole fuckin internet

lemon31314 t1_ir5az4f wrote

In most cases the feeling of being left behind is valid and reasonable. We should instead encourage people to learn to process negative emotions rather than run away from them by convincing ourselves you “shouldnt” feel a certain way.

nokinship t1_ir41drb wrote

For me it's I did everything right and got fucked. Then mental health issues started because I could never get the full time job which got me in a hole that's impossible to get out.

bvogel7475 t1_ir42y7w wrote

I hear you. Been battling bipolar disorder for 35 years. Worked my ass off and have had a pretty good life. Now I have lung cancer and I never even smoked. I am only 56 as well.

blackluster26 t1_isw8aqc wrote

Another example would be me I guess, have 2 cousins who are rich now (one is younger than me) and a classmate back in college who is also rich now. I was like "Nice, good for you". It never crossed my mind that "why I am in this state or I should be like them by this time as well etc." Even with my parents/relatives keep comparing me to them.

My problem has always been a clear goal, getting motivated is not a problem for me which I recently discovered. Example, study some stuff for work to make it simple, fast and efficient (which I don't need to but somehow motivated to do so out of my own will or I'm just lazy to do the long method that my co-workers do). I'm still trying to figure out whatever that goal is.

siler7 t1_ir5ar5v wrote

OP: X

Comment: What OP really meant was "X plus a bunch of other stuff, aimed at a particular audience", so that's what you have to respond to, as if OP had actually said that.

I see this so many times, and I do not understand why people are so quick to defend vague, useless bullshit.