Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

EternalAutist t1_it5poyf wrote

'Insist' seems to be the key word there. If it were 'suggest', at least it leaves further communication as an option. Insistence is for cases like 'my friend came to me injured. I insisted they see a doctor.' There's only one good option. The friend might not be in the right mental state to plan the right thing, they came to you, not a doctor after all.

'Insist' is a one way street. 'Suggest' or 'discuss' or 'problem-solve' are two way streets. They're social streets that strengthen bonds.

That being said, how you approach someone when you 'share something difficult' can also be closed or open. It takes two to tango.

Diregnoll t1_it6ptdu wrote

Also we probably all have that one friend that will refuse to ever see a positive. So insisting on seeing a positive isnt a bad thing.

like you can point out that they fixed the sonic movies graphics and its good now and they will still only see the nightmare fuel and be angry about it.

infiniZii t1_it6q0f8 wrote

Meh. I'd rather deal with toxic positivity than toxic negativity. What's important is trying to identify and respect people's boundaries when established.

Indigo_Sunset t1_it8lpui wrote

The idea of compassion fatigue needs to be considered as well. A rock seems solid in the water, yet the beach can be the end result.