Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Vapur9 t1_ivr9m12 wrote

Don't tell me what to do!

Gainsborough-Smythe OP t1_ivr9q4r wrote

Oh go on then, hug the cactus.

SpiceySandworm t1_ivseon9 wrote

Wouldn't hugging the cactus be the opposite of negativity since you are embracing what life has given you?

felixamente t1_ivsl2pv wrote

This is why platitudes and slogans intended to motivate people rarely ever do so.

Metamorphis t1_ivsvl0c wrote

Ye, sometimes these platitudes and slogans are used in ways or situations the person saying it hasn't thought about cus they ain't going through the same thing, or just didn't think it was THAT serious

Some people try to be motivating for the sake of being motivating, feel good about themselves and/or REALLY do try to help out and be supportive etc. which is great, it just sucks for everyone when it doesn't hit home which can happen sometimes =/ (This is also where I think "it's the thought that counts" fits well and make a ton of difference, a friend of mine may not know how to help/talk well but goddamnit if he hasn't taken me to McDonald's and said "Idk how I can better help you but here's a burger" and that made me tear up more than any shrink has been able to make me do tbh)

Faulty_Segment t1_ivtqc57 wrote

The “hugging” action is negativity. The cactus is the situation.

You don’t embrace hardship with negativity. You simply accept it. On the other end, you also don’t want to resist/deny/avoid the fact you were given a cactus.

Then you think “alright I got this cactus which isn’t that great. What can I do at this point to improve and/or continue my journey?”

CyberNinja23 t1_ivrfyu6 wrote

Let me just search that in Urban Dictionary real quick.

sktipwr t1_ivsd8co wrote

I'm still waiting here. You said Real Quick

RefikCan t1_ivs4rmi wrote

Sometimes cactus wants some love too

aridamus t1_ivsn1ko wrote

It’s an Arizonan tradition, don’t ya know?! We gotta hug at least 1 a year or else the scorpion king comes to Phoenix and slaughters until he is satisfied.