Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Jasminefirefly t1_iyld3pr wrote

That saying, "There is no bad weather, only bad clothing" is quite popular in Iceland, where I'm pretty sure they know cold.

EddiTheBambi t1_iylsk7n wrote

We have the exact same in Sweden, and it rhymes!

"Det finns inget dåligt väder, bara dåliga kläder"

If Google translate is to be trusted the Icelandic quote is "Það er ekkert slæmt veður, aðeins slæmur klæðnaður" which also rhymes and is surprisingly close to a slightly archaic Swedish direct translation "Det är icke dåligt väder, endast dåliga kläder". The only word without a corresponding word in Swedish seems to be "slæmur" which seems to come from Danish, the Danes originally having borrowed it from Germans.

pinewind108 t1_iym3z6y wrote

I flew into Oslo in October, and was in awe of the cold weather clothing they were selling there. That was some serious stuff. It snowed that week and I happened to see a group of school kids on a trip (maybe 5-6 years old?) and they were really decked out!

EddiTheBambi t1_iym67te wrote

Yeah, having grown up in Norrland I'm well accustomed to dressing for winter. Mittens, not gloves, cover the face with a breathable bandana or mask, wear a warm hat and padded trousers. Don't forget the woollen underwear to keep the heat in and the sweat off your skin.

Mendel247 t1_iyo2c87 wrote

I'm an English teacher. My 11 year old Finnish student asked me in October what the outer trousers you wear over your normal trousers "like a jacket" are called. I had to explain to her that while they exist there are just so many names for them because they're just not common enough to have one universally recognised name like a coat or jacket does. We decided we'd use ski pants. She was amazed we don't all own several pairs in the UK. I can completely understand why she'd feel that way given how cold it is there

EddiTheBambi t1_iyooo1i wrote

I never thought about that. Interesting! In Sweden we call them "täckbyxor" or "termobyxor", "cover-pants" or "thermo-pants" respectively. Looking into It I found that sometimes "salopettes" can be used in English, the word is likely borrowed from French, perhaps Canadian since the climate is cold enough there to warrant their use.

Thorzcun t1_iymhjoa wrote

It's popular here i Norway as well. Honestly i hate that phrase. Try telling it to some guy who lost everything to a flood or something