Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

DBProxy t1_ja6sbaw wrote

Reply to comment by greatcuriouscat in [Image] by lawwal93

I believe you mean sympathy.

Sympathy is acknowledging that the other person is going through an emotional or physical struggle, supporting them and giving them comfort. Empathy is something very similar to this. It’s actually understanding what the other person is feeling because you’ve had a similar experience yourself or you’re able to put yourself in their shoes.

greatcuriouscat t1_ja8d16x wrote

Thank you for the information, I appreciate it.

I chose the word empathy over sympathy because that's what happening to me. I know some relatives and so called friends that are struggling with depression/anxiety/burnout and though im experiencing the same i should know better to be kind and empathetic towards them but i dont feel anything like do i care? No. Should i ask them how r they doing? No. Do i feel sorry? No. Should i send encouraging messages? No. I see people die here and there on the news, do i feel sorry and care? Wish i could.

DBProxy t1_ja9hoa1 wrote

It sounds like you're wrestling with a bout of depression, I would highly advise you to get in touch with a therapist. If I'm right it's probably the last thing you want to do, but the longer you put it off the more these feelings will manifest and become harder to handle. It's best to try and nip it in the bud.