Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

alpevado t1_iunjq03 wrote

What are some of the most “wtf” rituals/processes that you discovered?

Were you also able to observe any rituals/process evolve over time among curtain cultures or societies?

eb_bartels OP t1_iunkkex wrote

Like I said above, I tried really hard not to let myself thing "wtf" about anything because I wanted to be open to any and all pet death rituals. My feeling very strongly is that everyone needs to do what is right for them and as long as they're not hurting themselves or anyone else, it's an okay way to grieve. But some of the more unusual ones for sure besides cloning (see my other reply for more on that) were probably the taxidermy/preservation options, like preserving a pet's ear or tail so you can still pet their fur when you miss them, or having the whole skeleton preserved and reassembled. One woman I interviewed had her Boston Terrier taxidermied in full and keeps in him a glass case like a side table next to her couch.

ecuintras t1_iupp4vc wrote

Ooh! My wife and I donated our polydactyl cat to a bone/skeleton museum where they articulated her and put her on display! We can hop to the next city over and see her (almost) whenever we want!

eb_bartels OP t1_iur5e0x wrote

That is so cool!! I will have to tell my friend with a polydactyl cat about this as an option! Thank you for sharing!

eb_bartels OP t1_iunkvoz wrote

In terms of things evolving over time, I noticed that in even just the past five years people seem much more open about talking about their feelings about their pets dying and sharing their emotions. I think social media has helped with that a lot -- it's pretty common now for people to be open about posting about being sad about their pet dying and using Twitter/Insta/FB/etc. as a way to connect with other pet people who understand that loss or people who also knew and loved their pet. I also think similarly as we become more open talking about our feelings about pets dying we then also normalize having traditions/rituals around those pets' deaths. A lot more people now I think are down to have a memorial service or viewing hours for their pet, when I feel like even 10-15 years ago people may have WANTED to do that but felt weird about it.

alpevado t1_iunpjl7 wrote

Thanks for the replies. Just noticed the blue staffy in your pic. Can you tell us all about them? 😍

eb_bartels OP t1_iunr4g3 wrote

Of course! That's Seymour! He is approximately three years old, a rescue from Florida via the Animal Rescue League of Boston. He is named after Seymour in Futurama (episode "Jurassic Bark"). My dad gave us a DNA kit for Christmas 2020 and it seems Seymour is mostly blue nose AmStaff, a couple other types of pit bull, chihuahua, and then a bunch of other terriers: Schnauzer, Rat Terrier, Jack Russell, etc. He is very sweet and loves people and like 80% of other dogs.

alpevado t1_iuqzbc8 wrote

This popped up today and reminded me of your AMA, have you seen it?

https://www.unilad.com/community/golden-retriever-dog-pet-taxidermy-rug-20221102

eb_bartels OP t1_iur4kxu wrote

Oh, wow, that's great. I don't think I interviewed anyone who had their pet turned into a rug! Though my friend's grandparents did have their dog's fur preserved/tanned but they turned it into a wall-hanging as opposed to a rug. Thanks for sharing!