Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

imwer234 t1_j6zaspg wrote

Haha not sure what to call it, think I picked up "commie flat / block" from an eastern European (or even Russian) Youtuber and it stuck with me. However, I have never seen such run-down places as a true "commie flat / block" in the Nordics. I have lived in rough neighborhoods, which honestly pale in comparison to places I have seen filmed in North America. (I'll have to look up section 8 housing, might be something like that I am picturing thinking about run-down places in the USA / North America.) The flats I have lived in have always been more than decent, once there was even an impromptu forced upgrade to the apartment where I got to choose colors for wallpaper, floor etc. I was not receiving any benefits of any kind, just worked full time and had a normal life. Apparently a kind of fund had accumulated for that specific unit and had to be used. And that was a pretty basic apartment I rented via the local municipality.

But yeah, the location wasn't golden. Still decent enough and for the price I paid - couldn't have asked for more.

I am not siding with any political side here, only describing my experience from this kind of housing.