Submitted by UnfuckedFirefighter t3_10x4cen in IAmA

Hey Reddit, Unfu*ked Firefighter here.

I’m a firefighter, paramedic, health coach, and writer. I'm best known for my principles for “Making the Best Job a Healthier One”, “The UFF Training Program”, and “The UFF Book of Wisdom” which was released yesterday!

I am also the author of “The UFF Newsletter.” The newsletter provides over 5,000 firefighters around the world with healthy recipes, workouts, and training topics every week.

Firefighters are at risk of long- term health problems associated with their time on the job. Common health risks include cancer, heart disease, alcohol abuse, PTSD, and burnout. My newest book is “The UFF Book of Wisdom.” It tackles such questions as: What makes being a firefighter the best job in the world? What does being fit for duty mean, and how is it achieved? Are firefighters destined for disease, depression, and burnout? These are the types of issues I want to talk about today.

Outside of writing, I coach firefighters, strength train and sauna 5x a week, and live with my wife and Pitbull Mastiff.

I’m excited to be here today and answer any questions Reddit may have. AMA about firefighter health and mindset!

Proof: Here's my proof!

EDIT: Thanks, all. This was fun! I'm taking off now but you can find me on social @unfuckedfire. Stay fit and stay safe!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Face-the-Faceless t1_j7q68zz wrote

Why do you bother censoring the word "fuck" in your post when it's uncensored in your username and your username appears with everything you post?

HHS2019 t1_j7q6z5g wrote

Thank you for doing this. What does your name mean? Are you promoting celibacy?

UnfuckedFirefighter OP t1_j7q7ldp wrote

Absolutely. It means to correct a situation. If you're a firefighter and your physical or mental health is fu*ked, we can take corrective action to unfu*k your health.

simonbleu t1_j7r7i1v wrote

Why do you think celibacy has a positive effect in your day to day life? I have not found that to be the case, and it makes no sense from my perspective. If you are unwilling, then you will struggle, same as when you diet, and if you don't, then you are not distracted at all

So... Im curious, what is the logic behind it?

Jamesperson t1_j7ud1xf wrote

I think “absolutely” was in response to “thank you for doing this.” I don’t think he’s supporting celibacy.

Appropriate-Vast6489 t1_j7q81s8 wrote

What can fire departments do to fight burnout culture?

UnfuckedFirefighter OP t1_j7qbbzr wrote

Preventing burnout is easier than rekindling the flame. Reducing demands and fostering a healthy fire service culture are key.

If you are aware or suspect someone is struggling with emotional exhaustion, treating them with empathy can go a long way. When senior firefighters open up about their challenges and ask for assistance or guidance, it normalizes struggle and shows that seeking support is a source of strength, not a sign of weakness.

Celebrate having a life outside of work. Encourage exercise and napping at the firehouse. Stop glorifying sleep deprivation. Make mental health paramount. Use your vacation time.

If you feel that you are already burned out, try mentoring someone. This is a great way to reignite the inner flame.

LongHeelRedBottoms t1_j7sejl0 wrote

What do you do when all of your chiefs are assholes and the culture is toxic?

heresmyownthrowaway t1_j7q9xtg wrote

Follow up question, do you think firefighters and departments actually want to make the jobs easier or do you think they purposefully make their lives harder to avoid more people joining?

UnfuckedFirefighter OP t1_j7qgpgg wrote

I think they want the job to be easier, better, and healthier.

But some are terrified of change and some just don't have the energy for it.

janstantangelo t1_j7qh0pj wrote

How firefighter specific is this? Could it apply to other first responders?

UnfuckedFirefighter OP t1_j7qhtqt wrote

It's not about firefighter-specific tactics. It's highly practical philosophy that applies to all first responders.

ashton23252325 t1_j7q75v8 wrote

Any tips for combating firefighter sleep deprivation?

UnfuckedFirefighter OP t1_j7q8ysv wrote

Great question. Poor sleep equals poor health. Moving to a 24/72-hour shift schedule and implementing later start times is the iron solution IMO. But if your department is thriving with the schedule you have than don't change a thing.

Poor sleep on duty is out of your control. But off duty, guard your sleep like you guard your nozzle. Make 7-8 hours a non-negotiable at home. I find that supplementing with magnesium glycinate or l-threonate can help a lot.

Take a daily nap. Not only should we allow napping on duty, but we should also encourage it.

Create a cool, dark, and quiet sleeping environment. Extra points for private sleeping quarters at the firehouse. Reduce blue light after dark. Use Night Shift mode on your phone and download justgetflux on computers and MDCs.

Sensitive-Tackle813 t1_j7q7h4n wrote

Maybe it's just in my town but I seem to see a lot of overweight Firefighters. What's up with that?

UnfuckedFirefighter OP t1_j7qa2f9 wrote

Poor diet just like the public. Chronic stress, chronic sleep deprivation, and Recliner Potato Syndrome just add to the problem.

We could eliminate obesity from the fire service by

- avoiding grains, sugars, alcohol, and seed oils

- prioritizing high quality protein at every meal

- eating more nutrient dense foods (meat, organs, eggs, fruit)

IAmAModBot t1_j7q7nxf wrote

For more AMAs on this topic, subscribe to r/IAmA_Author, and check out our other topic-specific AMA subreddits here.

janstantangelo t1_j7qgmnd wrote

What’s the new book about?

UnfuckedFirefighter OP t1_j7qhew1 wrote

Thanks for asking. The book is a collection of my most significant insights and quotes on how to keep firefighters fit and their inner fire lit.

It's for any firefighter looking to lead a healthy and honorable life. I hope you find value in reading it.

−3

Mar00ned7 t1_j7ql1cq wrote

Best car for accident protection? In your experience.

Ok-Feedback5604 t1_j7rl101 wrote

Are there any new welfare schemes for retired firefighters?

turningandburning45 t1_j7up67y wrote

Your thoughts on the idea that FFs are paid to well in some cases so they are incentivized to stay in a job that is basically the modern coal mine?