Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Puzzleheaded_Arm6363 t1_jab5qxs wrote

Me neither...but im not a native english speaker. Curious if that's right?

redriverrunning t1_jab6uzn wrote

It’s not correct even though it is understandable. “You’ve gone to the store” is a correct usage because “you have gone” is in the present perfect tense and is an appropriate use of the contraction “you’ve.” It isn’t normally used as a contraction for other tenses, such as “will you have” or “did you have” and so on.

benji_014 t1_jabhjss wrote

You’ve no idea. It does seem to work in the present tense in some cases. Maybe what’s off about this is that the emphasis rests on the verb that get contracted out, whereas the emphasis in my little example rests on the subject.

iordseyton t1_jacnqxo wrote

'You've no idea' isn't grammatically correct either, it's just less obvious.

You could say 'you have no idea,' or 'you have got no idea' interchangeably.

'You've got no idea' would be a correct contraction.

The reason 'You've no idea' feels correct and 'will you've sex' from the original doesn't is because our brains are trained to sort of skip over, or add in if need be, the existential verbs, like 'is' and 'got.'

NahLoso t1_jab6b4c wrote

AFAIK, you only use "'ve" when the verb "have" is being used as a helping verb. But that may not be a rule. What you did may be grammatically correct but just uncommon.

MarvinTheAndroid42 t1_jabejc9 wrote

As people have said, it does not work.

A fun contraction which does work just fine is “I’d’ve”(I would have), which I love. It doesn’t help us here, but it’s something real you can take away.

rubyredboot t1_jac6tey wrote

All these jabronis are wrong. I know there are grammatical rules you must follow in professional and academic settings, but the only rule in English is that it must be understandable. All other rules are rubbish.

archit1405 t1_jab7qq3 wrote

Even the OP isn't a native. And he's American

−2