Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

BLMIII t1_iu4futd wrote

It's a bit ridiculous to suggest changing the batteries in your TV remote once per year. You change them when they no longer work. Don't leave batteries long-term in devices you don't regularly use.

RufusQoom t1_iu9s0gn wrote

You’d be surprised how much a difference fresh batteries makes in a TV remote, at least with the regular infrared kind. There’s like months of KINDA being able to change the channel, IF you press the button 3 times and hold the remote up high, that’s actually low-battery-related. the IR receivers are sensitive enough to use reflections off walls and stuff when the remote battery is strong 💪🔋

NecessaryPen7 t1_iu7fz00 wrote

Where did they say TV batteries? Oh, they didn't.

This is s generally tip, for stuff not used frequently. Granted, not really a lpt.

−5

44problems t1_iu8sl05 wrote

It says older remotes, what does that mean if not TV remotes?

NecessaryPen7 t1_iu8y7cw wrote

There's countless remotes besides tvs.

Raio, fan, ac, heat, humidifier, dehumidifier, air filter, garage door, alarms, windows, doors, shade screens, gates, etc.

ramriot t1_iu4hmo7 wrote

This LPT apparently bought to you by the alkaline battery manufacturers council.

Most good batteries today should not leak. But for anything you don't use, take out the batteries. I keep them in a ziplock bag taped to the back of the device.

As to recycling, I don't know about other places but here, you cannot just put batteries in recycling. There are places that will take them, but in many cases alkaline cells may still end up in landfill.

Ishidan01 t1_iu5ndkl wrote

>Most good batteries today should not leak.

points and laughs

Yes, yes they do.

i_write_bugz t1_iu5u59k wrote

Yeah my local waste management says to just throw them in the garbage

NecessaryPen7 t1_iu7g2kn wrote

Because they don't recycle them, you bring them other places.

rexmaster2 t1_iu6k5qj wrote

I keep all my extra batteries in the freezer, as it helps to extend the life of them

RaccoonGirl28 t1_iu7kxvr wrote

Traditional alkaline batteries can be thrown in the trash. It's the rechargeable batteries that should be recycled. Some local shops will actually remove rechargeable batteries that are built in to broken tools/products. Button cells too, because of the toxicity and value, can also be recycled.

Njtotx3 OP t1_iu4jgx7 wrote

Brought to you by an old person who lost some devices to leaky batteries. Some people probably have their so-called "Heavy Duty" batteries in that came with the device.

We have battery/compact fluorescent recycling in Austin. We can drop them off at the public library and some stores.

−1

ramriot t1_iu5kdf1 wrote

Same here, used to lose devices all the time to battery leaks. In the last 20 years though I have (outside of where others have used the free "battery included") not seen a single leak.

TheW83 t1_iu6pw9p wrote

I work in IT and I see it a lot but I also see a TON of battery run equipment.

Ishidan01 t1_iu5ozy3 wrote

Those are zinc carbon. Sucky energy density but no caustic leak- perfect for packaging as a starter kit when there is no telling how long it will sit on the shelf before being sold. Goes flat in a minute? Well, you think, starter batteries always blow, but it worked. I'll now feed it alkalines bought separately- and from there, son, you're on your owwwwwn.

The-Jack-of-Diamonds t1_iu498l1 wrote

Don’t use cheap alkaline batteries and you won’t have to ever worry about them leaking again.

Buy some eneloop batteries and a charger, recharge them and save a fortune on batteries in the long run.

Inveramsay t1_iu5c9xe wrote

The ikea ones are meant to be basically the same as eneloop at a much lower cost but possibly a bit worse qc

The-Jack-of-Diamonds t1_iu5gan9 wrote

Yes you’re right, Amazon also makes their own that have done really well in testing against eneloop.

Basically you should use those, or lithium batteries in anything you care about. I never use Alkaleaks anymore, too much valuable shit ruined by them.

RelativeOperation7 t1_iu4c1zt wrote

I never had a battery leak ruin a device tbh.

nsa_reddit_monitor t1_iu53lgt wrote

Yeah, I've had plenty of leaky corroding batteries but I've always been able to clean the battery compartment up so it works again.

Njtotx3 OP t1_iu4d1rw wrote

It's been a while for me. Maybe China has improved their technology.

−7

fireitup622 t1_iu4vjh0 wrote

Nice try big battery, I'll replace the batteries when they're dead, not because you want more sales

Njtotx3 OP t1_iu50oxe wrote

Reason I posted was because I need the weather radio for tornado location alerts. Power went out and I noticed the battery was dead.

AttorneyAdvice t1_iu6dhfw wrote

so the lpt is make sure your weather radio battery is good before a tornado, not replace your TV remote every year

Gullible-Community34 t1_iu5b96c wrote

If you’re leaving dead batteries in something long enough to ruin it you probably dint need the thing you left dead for a while anymore

Njtotx3 OP t1_iu5m1y5 wrote

Unless you want to sell it.

Gullible-Community34 t1_iu6644i wrote

LPT: sell the thing you don’t want anymore instead of putting batteries in it for no reason

Bierbart12 t1_iu49gmw wrote

Great tip. I've lost some Wii remotes to this.

BobbyCorwen2000 t1_iu4vgma wrote

I do something similar, mostly with my power tools. They've come a long way but even today's batteries need some upkeep. Depending on the battery, every 3-6 months I will charge it just to make sure it has a charge and doesn't sit dead for potentially a long time. Not only does this ensure it works when I need it to but it's also good for the battery's maintenance in regards to the battery's life.

NecessaryPen7 t1_iu7h5ey wrote

To me this is the real lpt. I don't use small batteries for almost anything. All USB.

Don't have/use power tools at home much, but used to have a motorcycle that I eventually didn't ride, trickle charger.

the1slyyy t1_iu5b2ls wrote

Real pro tip. Upgrade to rechargeable batteries

NecessaryPen7 t1_iu7gw2f wrote

I'm not sure how many people use batteries enough to do this. I/we used to, as a kid. Then cell phones/usb came around.

(So yes, rechargeable)

AMeanCow t1_iu5mbry wrote

This is the most Ned Flanders "I have my life together" LPT ever.

I bet you also floss regularly and use your shampoo and conditioner at the same rate and buy new sets at the same time.

44problems t1_iu8srmn wrote

New years day? Better get started on those taxes!

PrettyGorramShiny t1_iu6m857 wrote

FYI, you'll need to pick different trigger dates - the US only has 2 more time changes before we go to DST permanently.

44problems t1_iu8sv4c wrote

I wonder what fire departments will tell people to do now. First day of winter and first day of summer?

Though now they probably tell people to buy the new 10 year smoke detectors.

keepthetips t1_iu47csz wrote

Hello and welcome to r/LifeProTips!

Please help us decide if this post is a good fit for the subreddit by up or downvoting this comment.

If you think that this is great advice to improve your life, please upvote. If you think this doesn't help you in any way, please downvote. If you don't care, leave it for the others to decide.

Hydracat45 t1_iu4s4u8 wrote

Put Silicone lubricant grease on the O-rings while you replace those batteries too.

Njtotx3 OP t1_iu4se79 wrote

Hydracat45 t1_iu4szgm wrote

Thanks for sharing. I have expensive optics and lights that I was aiming to put that on. You saved me some headache. I corrected my comment.

Njtotx3 OP t1_iu4ttr9 wrote

I don't know if there are alternatives for optics and lights. The silicone and other alternatives all seem to be for unrelated purposes.

slimeslug t1_iu4sfvr wrote

And be careful, those o-rings get brittle when it gets cold. (Too dark?)

mistedtwister t1_iu4vxaj wrote

And for fuck sake stop being a cheap fuck and upgrade to some rechargeable batteries!!

FranzStoffel t1_iu62xjw wrote

Just don’t use Duracell Batteries instead

minnesotaris t1_iu64hg0 wrote

Indeed. The detector started chirping a week ago. Took the battery out and I had written on it October 2018. Four years of performance.

Spazmanaut t1_iu65lpg wrote

Or just have a battery supply and change them when they run out. Seems to work.

Aircraftman2022 t1_iu750yw wrote

Experience over the years show me that Duracell leaks after a few years so will ruin your electronic device. I switched to the Bunny battery.

VespiWalsh t1_iu7v3wv wrote

Always take the batteries out of your Wiimote if you don't plan on playing it again soon. I had batteries just start to corrode in under a year, any longer it would have been RIP Wiimote Motion Plus.

Top-Recognition3448 t1_iu8ah7n wrote

Why shouldn’t i keep extra batteries at home and replace them when they need it?

kittensinabag t1_iu9962p wrote

The volt Difference from standard batteries and rechargeables has prevented me from adopting rechargeable only. If we can fix that and capacity to meet or exceed standard batteries, I’d have committed to rechargeable batteries by now.

GardenRave0416 t1_iu9h6py wrote

In regards to recycling, find out the rules for the specific company that deals with your recycling. My last apartment changed recycling companies while I lived there; the first company didn't take batteries but the new one did. There should be some contact info around the dumpster that takes your recycling; use it!

RufusQoom t1_iu9r3b1 wrote

making a list of things that have batteries needing checked would help, too. but who finds time change dates easiest to remember?? I have trouble enough remembering “spring forward, fall back”

torbrub t1_iua3l4h wrote

LPT: Lemon juice will neutralize and dissolve leaked battery acid from alkaline batteries. You can clean your device(s) up to almost new condition again if a battery has leaked in it.

Elrobinio t1_iu52rpv wrote

For low power devices and things you seldom use, zinc batteries might be better. They much less likely to leak and cause problems.