Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

fuck_all_you_people t1_itl5udy wrote

New clothes are also covered in chemicals to preserve them during transport. They have been known to be toxic and/or irritable to skin.

model1966 t1_itnj954 wrote

Some can have a lot of formaldehyde to protect them during long shipping

TheGhettoKidd t1_itlmaej wrote

This is the make reason why it is recommended to wash new clothes.

Saying that, all the other posts about mouse feces probably trumps this.

[deleted] t1_itl4z99 wrote

[deleted]

deadpool3727 OP t1_itl51qj wrote

Wtf sir.

YugoB t1_itmijst wrote

They are stored in warehouses, anything can be in those warehouses. Wash it, always.

slarti54 t1_itl42hg wrote

So, detergents then.

DroolingSlothCarpet t1_itlzv0k wrote

>need not be with detergents but a simple light wash with water and very less detergents will be enough.

Seems OP doesn't know so, yes, detergents.

rexmaster2 t1_itmkg8y wrote

People could have tried them on without wearing underwear or showing for days or God knows what.

King_Ofroad t1_itlxsom wrote

I remember seeing an episode of House where a kid (nearly?) died after buying a pair of jeans that "fell off the back of a truck" from someone's trunk sale. It turned out they'd been treated with some kind of toxic chemical and had been stolen on their way to be incinerated.

I don't know if that can actually happen but I always wash my jeans before wearing them now.

ANTImunky89 t1_itm3md5 wrote

The guy selling the pants was doing chemical stuff on stage side, and it got on the clothes in the truck where he had the chemicals. I've watched that show many times

King_Ofroad t1_itm4fpe wrote

See I've seen like half of three episodes and wasn't paying attention to any of them

MuForceShoelace t1_itmcmir wrote

I mean, sure, do that. But is there ANY actual real world cases of people getting disease from clothing? It feels like they could be abstractly yucky that some guy touched them but is there actually any actual demonstrable risk that isn't 1 in a million?

bad_apiarist t1_itp081o wrote

Sometime I feel like LPT, or advice in general could be filed under "How to live in total fear of literally everything around you all the time forever".

wickedcriminal t1_itmvt06 wrote

I've never washed new clothes, bedding, towels etc ... All fine. I am in Europe though, so maybe there's some standards etc that need to be complied to. Not sure. Haven't actually bought clothes while away on holiday, east or west.

deadpool3727 OP t1_itmctp2 wrote

You can get rashes if that cloth is directly worn over skin. I have got once so I started this.

zvii t1_itnm24v wrote

One time out of how many and you go to this? I will say I never did it for years, but my wife did, so we do now.

yukon-flower t1_itndbja wrote

It’s more the formaldehyde or other preservatives you don’t want to seep into your skin.

SewBadAss t1_itn0lwq wrote

Even if no one has tried them on, factories and warehouse are filthy places, and as another poster mentioned, most fabrics and clothing have been treated with chemicals to preserve them.
I rarely wear anything before it's been washed with detergent, though usually use a short cycle for new clothes.

Source: BS in Textiles and Clothing, worked in clothing industry for 5 years, professional seamstress for over 40 years

iTanooki t1_itl3rmn wrote

Especially undergarments.

Lou-Lou-Lou t1_itn6ofl wrote

ANY item that's going in your house should get washed. Stepson works in a warehouse. He said everything is filthy and handled by folks whose hygiene is not all that.

coyote-1 t1_itm2yk0 wrote

I’ve always done this

R_Harry_P t1_itmj51v wrote

Meh, I only do this with underware.

Urchin422 t1_itn21r6 wrote

This! This was solidified as necessary when during the forensic analysis of Jon Bennet’s case, they tested newly purchased underwear to see if dna could indeed be found even if that hadn’t been worn yet. They not only found dna but also hairs! This was in a pack of underwear in plastic so just imagine the ones hanging on the racks

danger_sarcasm_ahead t1_itnkzox wrote

if they are colors... soak them in white distilled vinegar for 10 minutes before you wash them. this will help set the color and keep them from running.

manuwood t1_itn3qmd wrote

I always do that for every clothes I buy, except for shoes

Shahid9s t1_itn7v5h wrote

You need to wash them properly with detergent. New does not mean clean. People with skin disease could be trying them out before you bought them. So, you need to wash them thoroughly, even more so than if they were your old and dirty clothes.

Curious_Working5706 t1_itnmt9p wrote

TIL there are people who buy clothes and proceed to just raw dog reality and wear them without washing them first. Yikes.

noseymimi t1_itnp68o wrote

First time wash clothes inside out, cold water, with a cup of vinegar to set the color.

keepthetips t1_itl3h46 wrote

Hello and welcome to r/LifeProTips!

Please help us decide if this post is a good fit for the subreddit by up or downvoting this comment.

If you think that this is great advice to improve your life, please upvote. If you think this doesn't help you in any way, please downvote. If you don't care, leave it for the others to decide.

_Mortal t1_itl4pf5 wrote

very less detergents

Future_Cake t1_itn1bcr wrote

OP is from India and apparently speaks Hindi.

Is your Hindi grammar very polished?

_Mortal t1_itn4et1 wrote

LPT: when communicating ensure you're doing it in the language you're using, polishedly

−3

DroolingSlothCarpet t1_itnetko wrote

Opie should use good English language on an English language website.

This is Life Pro Tips; the tip was executed in an amateur style.

−4

happyends t1_itnndo2 wrote

It also rinses out excess dyes. I've see someone come out with blue legs from wearing new blue jeans.

SecretCartographer28 t1_ito8y1b wrote

One cup baking soda and one cup white vinegar through wash to remove chemicals/ coating! 🌈🖖

TiffyVella t1_itpp5p6 wrote

Handwashing pantyhose/stockings before the first wear makes them last a lot longer. They wont tear as easily as they do straight out of the packet. .

cleoginger t1_itr5tsk wrote

this seems wasteful to me and the majority of the people in the comments probably have lowkey OCD or some shit. i dont doubt they come dirty sometimes. but dirt. in general. isnt that bad

LPT - something bad for the environment

someone here said to put colors in vinegar first… why not sulfuric acid so you can wear them once before they disintegrate? wtf lol

deadpool3727 OP t1_itr7njm wrote

Vinegar stuff is overkill but still rat thing is correct.

PharFromPharm t1_itna961 wrote

MONKEYPOX is transmitted this way! And herpes!!!

spiderborland t1_itmgsei wrote

Speaking from experience, I can tell you that I'll go to Target and "try on" an assortment of tshirts by stuffing them down my pants... and then not buy them.

−2