Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

skunkadelic t1_iybnuvi wrote

Umm no. You can absolutely teach technique.

FastWalkingShortGuy t1_iybo078 wrote

Technique is not composition.

A robot can have perfect technique.

Art requires soul.

−21

skunkadelic t1_iybuhpu wrote

You aren't getting far expressing art without technique. They go hand in hand.

lifeaintsocool t1_iyboeq9 wrote

This is ridiculous. Art is heavily skill based. It comes from within but without a medium of expression it is useless. Art lessons are not a scam in tons of cases. How on earth are you suppose to learn how to paint, sculp, draw, play music etc. without someone teaching you? Are people suppose to share their skills for free? No.

FastWalkingShortGuy t1_iybolg4 wrote

Art is not skill based.

The skill is a byproduct of talent.

Those who can, do. Those who can't still try.

−15

lifeaintsocool t1_iybr55m wrote

Look up the definition of art. You'll find that skills/imagination are a requirement for art but talent is not. Don't have to answer but are you an artist?

FastWalkingShortGuy t1_iybs1lm wrote

Musician.

Em_Adespoton t1_iybsmi4 wrote

Are you the best musician? Do you always bring your best talent and passion when you perform? Do you perform with musicians who aren’t as talented as you? More talented?

Is it art when an elementary school band performs Hot Cross Buns?

How about back to John Cage? Was he an artist knowing when NOT to play?

FastWalkingShortGuy t1_iybswbi wrote

No, yes, yes, yes.

Yes.

Minimalism is an art form in and of itself. I don't know who John Cage is. I think he was dope in Mortal Combat IIRC.

VariantArray t1_iybobb2 wrote

This is probably the most ridiculous attempt at an LPT I’ve ever seen. There are skills and techniques you can be taught that will help you create the art you are passionate about. It doesn’t matter how passionate you are about any art form, if you lack certain foundational skills, your art will never become what you want.

RSwordsman t1_iybnv2n wrote

/r/im14andthisisdeep . "Anyone who advertises dance, music, painting/drawing lessons is probably scamming you"? There is a wealth of information associated with why and how people enjoy those things. Yeah they can't imbue you with whatever spirit of true art you're talking about, but they can inspire by helping you develop existing techniques. It's only an exceedingly rare prodigy that finds they can make everything they want to make with zero external training.

FastWalkingShortGuy t1_iybocvy wrote

If they're advertising, they're not picking from a select group of people with talent.

Hard truth.

−2

RSwordsman t1_iybp75m wrote

> If they're advertising, they're not picking from a select group of people with talent.

Yes, they are, if they know things. Have you ever taken classes on these subjects in school? They don't teach you what is and isn't art, just offer you tools on how to create it with more depth and refinement.

FastWalkingShortGuy t1_iybpwyb wrote

Accepted as an undergraduate in performance art at a couple of tier 1 universities.

Might know what I'm talking about.

But you probably know better than I do.

−2

RSwordsman t1_iybqaww wrote

Congratulations, I'm waiting for you to either revolutionize several art forms with your wisdom or at least make it big as a performer without listening to those snooty egg-heads.

The closest I've gotten to education in art is an associate's degree in game design (which of course includes art assets) and independent study in writing and music. But I'd be far worse in all of those fields with no instruction.

Anyway, hope you find happiness inside or outside of formal programs.

zendrovia t1_iybnamf wrote

art exist for when you can’t find the words

MrTonino t1_iycs936 wrote

Hold my duct tape and banana

Desert_Damsel t1_iydrqzw wrote

The classes don't 'teach art', they help you with the skills needed to express yourself. Take glass art for example, you have to learn how to handle molten glass in order to do it.

Once you master the skills, all bets are off. You are free to use the skills or make your own, break the rules. This is what real artists do.

GundamLlama t1_iyey6f8 wrote

Tell that to AI. These bots are making masterful work but the art gatekeeping hating community doesn't want to accept the writing on the wall. 🤣

keepthetips t1_iybn6ba wrote

Hello and welcome to r/LifeProTips!

Please help us decide if this post is a good fit for the subreddit by up or downvoting this comment.

If you think that this is great advice to improve your life, please upvote. If you think this doesn't help you in any way, please downvote. If you don't care, leave it for the others to decide.

Em_Adespoton t1_iybo4eq wrote

Tell me… how do you explain ML generated art winning art awards recently?

Art is part expression and part context. What you consider art, everyone else might consider junk.

But you may consider something pedestrian expression and others see it as high art.

Are John Cage’s compositions art? How about Venus de Milo? The Nutcracker? The pyramids? The way I arrange my shoes?

FastWalkingShortGuy t1_iybo70q wrote

Awards mean nothing.

−1

Em_Adespoton t1_iyboh6z wrote

That totally misses the point.

Is art what YOU have passion about?

Or is it also what I, as a purveyor of art, have passion about?

And would you say that ballet is art? Because you’re never going to master that art form without both passion AND daily lessons.

FastWalkingShortGuy t1_iybox9z wrote

You brought it up, not me.

Ballet is an art.

But I'm a flat-footed short guy with the coordination of a diabetic llama on a good day.

Should I take ballet lessons in hope of mastering it?

−1