Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Autumnlove92 t1_ixnh7i9 wrote

As someone who doesn't have family, I never understood my friends bitching about their Thanksgiving but then saying they HAVE to go because they gotta "make nice" to the family. In my opinion, if you're relationship with said family is you pretending to be nice, it's not a very good relationship

poobearcatbomber t1_ixo8a2h wrote

Most married folks don't have a choice. Do you think I want to spend my day off with my in-laws? Fuck no

Sacrifices to keep the peace.

sardonic_balls t1_ixod0zw wrote

Yep..that's one thing with marriage. You don't just marry the person; you marry their family, too. Some people don't realize this until it's too late.

ForceOfAHorse t1_ixqxewg wrote

> You don't just marry the person; you marry their family, too

No, you don't.

sardonic_balls t1_ixsgv9e wrote

Are you able to not interact with your significant others' family at all, ever, if you so choose? With zero negative impact or feedback from your spouse?

Point is, you will have to deal with your married partner's family... in some way or another, whether you like it or not, for as long as you're married to that person.

You may not have to sleep with them, but there you go.

ForceOfAHorse t1_ixtw8fh wrote

Yes, I am able to choose whether I like to go to a family gathering with her folks or not. It's not even that her family is crazy or something. It's mostly fine, but sometimes I just don't want to spend time with people who are boring just for the sake of sitting together for few hours. And she supports my choice to not go, because that's what loving partner do.

We do things we both like together. We do things only one of us want separately. Frankly, talking about marriage in terms of "sacrifices to keep he peace" is something I'll never do. What's the point of being married to somebody if you then live like that? What kind of partner would deliberately put their significant one through a miserable experience?

Cynsayswhatisup t1_ixr1afb wrote

Married holidays can be stressful if families are very different. I’m divorced and don’t miss that shit