Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Ojntoast t1_ixkr1dj wrote

LPT:. Don't invite vegetarians and vegans to a dinner that you want to enjoy

Ajax098 t1_ixkt72o wrote

Plenty of sides are already vegetarian.

But in all honesty the LPT here should be if someone is going to a group dinner with self imposed dietary restrictions they should plan this out for themselves ahead of time.

xQx1 t1_ixkt3ep wrote

Good luck to them.

They can just pick the food that they like and leave the food they don't like; the same as everyone else.

unlistedname t1_ixksryw wrote

Why would I make a dish in case someone wants this? Why wouldn't this come up in the phone call a week or so ahead of time where I find out how many people are coming and if they have any requests?

lastdarknight t1_ixktoaf wrote

more if you have a major dietary restriction, bring a side dish you can eat

keepthetips t1_ixkppon wrote

Hello and welcome to r/LifeProTips!

Please help us decide if this post is a good fit for the subreddit by up or downvoting this comment.

If you think that this is great advice to improve your life, please upvote. If you think this doesn't help you in any way, please downvote. If you don't care, leave it for the others to decide.

StartledPelican t1_ixktowd wrote

The real lpt: Before a large gathering involving food, check with each guest if there are any special dietary needs and build a menu accordingly.

xQx1 t1_ixoeoce wrote

If you have all the time & money in the world and don't mind being left with the cheese-free pizza and gluten-free tofu pasta after every meal you provide; sure, yours is the politest way.

I'm in the "Ask people specifically about allergies that cause anaphylaxis, then try to provide a reasonable range of dietary options" school of thought.

StartledPelican t1_ixog2mz wrote

I find merit in both of our options. Personally, and I know this is a "me" thing and not a hard and fast rule, if I am inviting people over and hosting, then I want to provide for them. There are limits, whether they are financial or social, that each person is able to handle, so I do not begrudge others if they have a different standard than me.

xQx1 t1_ixonux6 wrote

> if I am inviting people over and hosting, then I want to provide for them

I couldn't agree more. If you know full well you've got a vegetarian/vegan in a small group and you're inviting them over as guests; it's pretty rude to serve steak. But if you're serving the same group five-nights running, four of them are going to want meat options.

I was speaking more for work functions, kids birthdays etc... where you don't want to have a bowl of peanuts in the room if someone carries an EpiPen; but nor do you want to pander to everyone's "sensitivities" and lifestyle choices.