Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

gooberfaced t1_ivgeylr wrote

Never hire any random door knocker.

Look them up, call past clients, do some due diligence.

chiggenNuggs t1_ivgltli wrote

Seriously. This applies to any situation where you’re on the receiving end of any direct cold calling or unexpected door-to-door or on-the-street type solicitation.

Consumer products, home services, insurance, financial products- doesn’t matter. If someone suddenly shows up and starts putting the pressure on you to spend some money, 99% of the time they’re running some kind of shady angle, even if it’s technically not illegal or an outright scam.

If you need a product or service, do some basic research first.

Send_Your_Noods_plz t1_ivi5fyc wrote

If they were a good deal or did legit good work, they wouldnt need to be knocking on your door saying how great their business is. You'd be seeing their work or finding them yourself.

SafetyMan35 t1_ivifwpw wrote

Had a driveway sealer come to my door and said he was doing my neighbors house and “he had some extra” and would do my driveway for $200. My driveway was tiny and I declined. 45 minutes later he comes back and says he’ll do it for $50 so I accepted. He did an Ok job. I was later talking with my neighbor and he said the guy told him the same story, except he was quoted $500 and he accepted that offer. He was pretty pissed when I told him I paid $50.