Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

PurpleSwitch t1_ixzsimy wrote

I think this is very good advice. It reminds me of a friend who used to do what I called "conditional reassurances". He would tell me that it would be okay because we would prevail over whatever it was we were struggling against. It took me a while to understand why exactly his attempts to support me left me more depressed, but eventually it clicked for me and I told him:

"I don't need you to tell me it'll be okay because we'll win this, because you don't know that, and it's entirely possible that we will lose. I need you to tell me that it's okay regardless of whether we win, or even that it's okay despite the possibility of losing. I need to feel like my life isn't hinging on this awful thing that's out of my control and if you want to reassure me by telling me that you're here to support me, I need you to tell me that it'll be okay because we will make it through and that you will be here to help me find the path forwards."

autotelica OP t1_ixzvefl wrote

This is really insightful.

Like I can get why people think they are just trying to help by saying stuff like "Of course you will get your dream job" or "Of course you'll find your Mr./Ms. Right". But that's just going to make the worrier feel like it really will be the worst thing in the world if they don't get their desired outcome. What they need to hear is a reminder that the worst case scenario isn't as bad as they think it is for reasons X, Y, or Z.

It's the difference between toxic positivity and optimism.