Submitted by autotelica t3_z65p21 in LifeProTips

I used to be very self-conscious. I have a tic disorder and dyspraxia--two things that make me move awkwardly. While in therapy, I would frequently talk about how embarrassed I was in yoga class, which I took for four years in a quest to improve my motor coordination skills. Even the most basic standing poses were challenging for me. I would always fall out of them, often completely onto the floor. I would have to stand against the wall to do mountain pose.

I worried what everyone in the room thought of me. Surely they were thinking I was some kind of r-word. Or maybe they thought I was lazy and just not trying hard enough. I would tell my therapist all of this and she would say "No one is judging you as harshly as you're judging yourself, my dear." This was never comforting to me. But I was not assertive enough to tell her why.

But I'll share with you why I couldn't go along with this.

I was bullied as a kid for being clumsy. PE and recess were my least favorite periods of the day because that's when I would become the class laughingstock. I know child bullies can outgrow their bullying ways, but I also know that they don't outgrow all of their tendencies. The kids who grow up calling the clumsy kid the r-word grow up to be adults who think the r-word. So my therapist, however well-intentioned she was, could never convince me that no one was ever judging me harshly. It almost felt like she was trying to gaslight me by telling me that.

So unfortunately I had to help myself get over my self-consciousness in my own way. And the thing that worked for me was to constantly remind myself of the following:

• Many people aren't noticing you at all.

• Most of the people who are noticing you aren't thinking negative things about you. They are just dispassionately observing you falling out of your poses, just like how they might notice a squirrel running up a tree.

• There are indeed people who are noticing you and judging you. But most of those people are having rather mild judgy thoughts. Like maybe they are thinking: "That girl sure is clumsy, isn't she? I wonder what's wrong with her." Sure, this is kind of judgy. But it isn't mean judgy. It's the kind of judginess that we all experience from time to time. I might see someone moving awkwardly while standing in the check-out line and think the exact same thing.

• There is always going to be at least one person who really is judging you harshly and uncharitably. But that person is likely a jerk. Jerks aren't people you should worry about. You don't want to be friends with a jerk. You don't want to work for a jerk. You don't want to have anything to do with jerks. So what's the point of trying to impress them? They aren't worth your energy. Ignore them and their stupid thoughts.

I have found that this approach is more effective than trying to convince myself that no one is judging me. I think by telling socially anxious people that no one is ever judging them, we are only entrenching their belief that there is something important about the judgments of strangers. We should be telling them that the judgments of strangers don't matter, not that they don't exist. And it is way more validating. People who are self-conscious sometimes have very valid reasons for feeling that way.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

MaMakossa t1_ixzjffl wrote

Personally- this LPT goes straight to my heart & I will place it on a sticky note in my brain to hopefully remind myself in moments when I need grounding.

Therapy do be like that, huh? It can feel like gaslighting. 😫 Good on you for forging your own mental pathway that resonates with how your brain functions & responds. ✊

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, perspective, & advice. This internet stranger values & appreciates it & finds it helpful. 💛🙏

TimArtefaX t1_iy09zkw wrote

'tigers don't lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep'

humvee911 t1_ixzl4wq wrote

Even though there'll always be someone judging you, they'll forget about it really quickly. Try to imagine yourself doing something embarassing in the past. Easy right? Try to imagine someone else doing something embarassing in the past. You'll definitely find someone but it'll take much longer. All of us have an ego.

Zebrahead033 t1_ixzuf8h wrote

Some people will hate you just to hate you. Accept it and move on with your life.

PurpleSwitch t1_ixzsimy wrote

I think this is very good advice. It reminds me of a friend who used to do what I called "conditional reassurances". He would tell me that it would be okay because we would prevail over whatever it was we were struggling against. It took me a while to understand why exactly his attempts to support me left me more depressed, but eventually it clicked for me and I told him:

"I don't need you to tell me it'll be okay because we'll win this, because you don't know that, and it's entirely possible that we will lose. I need you to tell me that it's okay regardless of whether we win, or even that it's okay despite the possibility of losing. I need to feel like my life isn't hinging on this awful thing that's out of my control and if you want to reassure me by telling me that you're here to support me, I need you to tell me that it'll be okay because we will make it through and that you will be here to help me find the path forwards."

autotelica OP t1_ixzvefl wrote

This is really insightful.

Like I can get why people think they are just trying to help by saying stuff like "Of course you will get your dream job" or "Of course you'll find your Mr./Ms. Right". But that's just going to make the worrier feel like it really will be the worst thing in the world if they don't get their desired outcome. What they need to hear is a reminder that the worst case scenario isn't as bad as they think it is for reasons X, Y, or Z.

It's the difference between toxic positivity and optimism.

Haunting-Ad-9790 t1_ixztu0r wrote

F Scott Fitzgerald said in Tender Isnthe Night: most people think everybody feels about then much more violently then they actually do - they think other people's opinions of them swing through great arcs of approval or disapproval.

Revenge_of_the_User t1_iy1jnll wrote

"People that matter dont mind, and people that mind dont matter."

Dont know who said it, but anxiety doesnt really play by logical rules, afaik.

Literally - people dont spend much time thinking of others past surface thought. Unless they like you or dont like you; but not only will most people not reach that level of involvement; it still follows the above rule. If they are giving positive attention then theyre worth paying some attention to (generally), and if its negative attention then they dont matter. They arent contributing past some potential self reflection and you make that call. But it IS a call you get to make.

Someone thinking badly of you somewhere has no bearing on anyone's reality.

Shizz-happens t1_iy0p1vi wrote

In the words of the great philosopher Taylor Swift: “People throw rocks at things that shine”.

Gamboleer t1_iy1a8s4 wrote

I don't agree with your title, as it's a narcissistic way of thinking that isn't healthy. However, the body of your post seems a reasonable, rational balance.

keepthetips t1_ixzh7gm wrote

Hello and welcome to r/LifeProTips!

Please help us decide if this post is a good fit for the subreddit by up or downvoting this comment.

If you think that this is great advice to improve your life, please upvote. If you think this doesn't help you in any way, please downvote. If you don't care, leave it for the others to decide.

SlicerStopSlicing t1_ixzt8bx wrote

Everyone judges everyone all the time. Sometimes positively, sometimes negatively. Understand this and deal.