Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

BANDlCOOT t1_j1yajfh wrote

Dogs sneeze when they're really happy or when they're play fighting to show they aren't a threat.

schwifty38 t1_j1ygjgf wrote

My dog sneezes when he gets something in his nose.

Allbymyselfalone t1_j22itak wrote

Watch out for sneezing fits, we just learned (2wks ago) the hard way that it could mean they have a tumour on the heart. Had no idea, but he and I would do the “fake” sneeze to initiate play and it was hilarious

gwenver t1_j1zjcim wrote

My dog definitely does this.

schwifty38 t1_j201ok7 wrote

I guess our dogs are excited to get stuff in their noses then.

0xd0gf00d t1_j204lkj wrote

My dog sneezes like clockwork if I give her belly rubs near her flank.

WeekLongEclipse t1_j205a5y wrote

My dog sneezes when someone’s chasing her. It’s like a defense mechanism.

niplayer t1_j1yb8ya wrote

My sneezing around my partner’s dog causes her dog to freak out. Head shoots up in the air and staring at me to see my next move, like she’s (dog) on edge. She also reacts similarly to my yawns.

denimpanzer t1_j1zc4y4 wrote

Yep! Similar to slow blinking for cats, dogs use yawns and sneezes to communicate that they’re friendly/want to play. She’s probably waiting on you to start acting like a maniac so she too can act like a maniac.

focus503 t1_j22dq3q wrote

My dog uses sneezes to vote that I should share my food with him.

jsmoo68 t1_j22ik93 wrote

My dog frequently sneezes at me when I’m putting his wet food in his bowl. 🤷🏻‍♀️

hsvsunshyn t1_j20bsek wrote

Try doing a small sharp exhale while squinting your eyes and shaking your head side-to-side once or twice. (Kind of like what you would do if you just walked through a swarm of gnats and you think one might have gotten in your nose.)

If you are a full-body sneezer, the dog might think that something bigger is going on when you sneeze. What I described above is much more subtle, and easier to control/adjust to communicate with the dog, without startling or exciting it.

Lemongrass_Rainwater t1_j20t267 wrote

My fake sneezes didn’t work for my dog until now. Wow that’s crazy. Now I can play with her other than chasing

kellatina t1_j21tcay wrote

My husband sneezing will also freak out our dog he will go in an alert position & then hide, climb on me or run to his crate.

Bliss149 t1_j22eort wrote

My ex sneezed so freaking LOUD - always startled everyone in the house.

everydayasl t1_j1yafdp wrote

I tried that with my dog and she gave me a box of tissues, did I do it right?

Shizz-happens t1_j1ynwpz wrote

Get her a service dog vest and you’re all set for cold and allergy season!

Vancouvermarina t1_j1ygl8e wrote

I have two dogs. When I sneeze one has zero reaction. The other has to run over to check that I am ok.

jbnielsen416 t1_j21drvt wrote

Our chocolate lab checks on us every time we sneeze, as if she thinks we are in distress.

k9handler2000 t1_j1zzld1 wrote

I was just at a friends house where they recently adopted a beautiful female pitty. She would never hurt a fly but she’ll piss herself the second she detects the slightest threat.

Anyways I came in with a puffy coat on and she really did not trust me. She would do those tippy taps where she came closer and stretched her neck to sniff me and then skittered away. I knew she could be friendly by her wildly wagging tail so I was looking for a way to gain her trust.

Then I noticed she would sneeze each time she approached me, and I’d heard that’s how dogs say “I’m joking”. So the next time she sneezed I shook my head lightly and did a sort of snort, too. She froze, head cocked, ears up, eyes wide, and I wasn’t sure if I fucked up. The next second she was rocketing around the house with the craziest zoomies and returning to me to lick and play and cuddle.

If the dog is showing signs of wanting to come towards you a light sneeze or two can really help make them comfortable. Don’t try it with an outwardly aggressive or very nervous dog though.

SpermKiller t1_j1yc9jl wrote

If you want to take it further, learn about dogs' appeasement signals.

TB1289 t1_j1z5vxv wrote

Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

phorest0106 OP t1_j1yachl wrote

Oh, and cows like to be hugged

DroolingSlothCarpet t1_j1yncjy wrote

How was this a life tip that's professional?

joopityjoop t1_j22nsk5 wrote

Then sneeze at the dog while wearing a 3 piece suit. Is that professional enough for you?

Tittle42 t1_j1z3jvh wrote

When I sneeze my dog blames the cat and chases them

Blom-w1-o t1_j20mkdx wrote

Dogs feign sneezing to show that they are playing. So sneezing at a dog is more or less an announcement that you want to or are playing.

doubleflush t1_j20ag65 wrote

what happens if you cut a massive fart by the dog

CuteFreakshow t1_j20qrzw wrote

My 2 dobermans will not rest until they find the source of the smell. So you will get a snout up your ...fart exhaust. Sneeze will produce the same search and rescue activity, this time your face will be the target. Do not recommend.

EmeraldGlimmer t1_j20e98w wrote

It's very considerate. You brought the smell to them instead of making them get up in there to try to find it themselves.

BoS_Vlad t1_j2009bz wrote

One sneeze maybe, however, I had a sneezing fit the other night in bed, I sneeze loudly, and my very gentle dog was sleeping at the foot of the bed and after about 6 loud sneezes she jumped off the bed and went into another room until I quieted down. I don’t think any dog likes repeated loud noises even from someone they love.

ShortWeekend2021 t1_j20fpnd wrote

My dogs think sneezing at them means I'm ready to play!

yosaffbridge1630 t1_j20jzkp wrote

Dogs also yawn and sneeze when they’re anxious

Acrobatic-Degree9589 t1_j1zun1n wrote

Dogs always like me but the feeling is not mutual, how do I get em to leave me alone

Hank_McSpanky t1_j200bug wrote

My dog sneezes when he’s frustrated lol

throwawayaccountyuio t1_j20bcr2 wrote

Dogs sneeze to indicate they are playing. E.g., they may bark and grawl and also sneeze to say it’s for fun not threatening

slayingyourdemons t1_j20htrc wrote

My dog sneezes in agreement. It's like her way of saying "yes" 😂

TimskiTimski t1_j20mdfv wrote

Had a friends dog sneeze when he greeted me. He did it all the time.

wesnile86 t1_j20xfq8 wrote

I'll have to give this a try next time I'm around a stray dog.

insertcaffeine t1_j212p51 wrote

We rescued a kitten. When we first found him, he had a respiratory infection. So much sneezing. So the dog was all curious and wanting to play! I think it helped them start out on the right foot.

Now the cat always wants to play and never sneezes, so the dog's trying to adjust to that.

SkipB94 t1_j216vpl wrote

My dog is always sneezing in my face. So one day I got him back, he didn’t like it lol

RonstoppableRon t1_j219wjj wrote

Lol not my dog, shes terrified of sneezes, if you even start to make the beginning noise of a sneeze she will run away in fear. We adopted her at 1 y.o., no idea how this trauma could have started!

Noahcarr t1_j21s8o7 wrote

It’s how dogs tell one another that they’re just playin, when they’re playing

Dangercakes13 t1_j21uabo wrote

If you want a dog to like you just feed it some fatty treats and try to time it so that you are both locking eyes when it farts. There's nothing funnier than a dog farting and being confused by it. Act similarly confused. You share that moment together and you're friends forever.

Devil_in_blackx t1_j21y2l2 wrote

They think you are playing and having a good time it’s how they communicate play rather then real fighting to other dogs. All three of my dogs will be sneezing at the same time while they are chewing on each other. It’s hilarious

AxTROUSRxMISSLE t1_j22fh5p wrote

I have successfully traumatized my puppy to assume every time me or my girlfriend take a deep breath, she thinks we will blow in her face. So even in dead sleep her head will shoot up like she is about to throw some paws with me if I yawn in bed. If I sneeze at her she looks offended though

matildaduddlesinc t1_j22prum wrote

When we sneeze, ozzie gets his big head in our face and licks our face until hes pushed down. I call him nurse ozzie when he does this

LifeProTips-ModTeam t1_j27koqz wrote

Your post or comment was removed as it was determined to be in violation of our rules and regulations. Please familiarise yourself with them to avoid future punitive actions applied to your contributions to the subreddit.

• Rule 5: Do not post tips that are based on spurious, unsubstantiated, or anecdotal claims.

If you are in disagreement with this decision, you may wish to contact the moderators.

SlackerAccount t1_j20u0mz wrote

Who the hell is up upvoting this shit?

keepthetips t1_j1yaabr wrote

Hello and welcome to r/LifeProTips!

Please help us decide if this post is a good fit for the subreddit by up or downvoting this comment.

If you think that this is great advice to improve your life, please upvote. If you think this doesn't help you in any way, please downvote. If you don't care, leave it for the others to decide.

−3