Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

brannana t1_j5d4x72 wrote

So your objections are based solely on your “feelings” about their accuracy, and not hard data? And your biggest objection is that you feel the effect of the boycott is “somewhat exaggerated”?

One of us is failing at proving their point, but it’s not me…

ca_agent t1_j5d58zb wrote

Your goal was proving the point, not mine...

−2

brannana t1_j5d68ny wrote

We have different points we’re trying to make, genius.

ca_agent t1_j5d6lsh wrote

I'm not trying to prove anything, Socrates.

brannana t1_j5d81ny wrote

So you’re just talking to make noise? You’re not trying to say that the article I posted is bad?

ca_agent t1_j5dcj19 wrote

Not every comment has to convince someone of something, sometimes you can just enjoy the ride.

I do think the article you posted was written with a bias towards trying to make people believe boycotts work without actually providing evidence they work. So yeah, I guess that means I think it is a bad article. Not saying you're bad, just probably the first article you thought was sufficient, wasn't to my eyes.

If I was to write an article trying to prove that boycotting works, I would strive to include data showing loss of profit due to the boycotts as well as shareholder meetings or complaints about those losses resulting in a change of company policy. To the point of this post though even that is insufficient...

This post implies that boycotts create change that protests can't. So changing a store from stocking one item versus another is not the sort of change a protest is aiming for. I don't see a boycott changing how police interact with black people, or how politicians interact with religious groups to the detriment of women's rights.