Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

TheDismal_Scientist t1_j5j3fvd wrote

I mean you can program a ppl (or any split) with compounds or isolation exercises, I should have been clearer that I'd focus on smaller isolation exercises, especially ones with greater stability like machines or cables over free weights for hypertrophy.

Stimulus to fatigue ratio is much better on (for example) a machine Incline chest press compared to a Dumbell press.

vinceftw t1_j5jgcty wrote

You gave solid advice at first and then you said isolation and machine exercises trump compounds. What?

TheDismal_Scientist t1_j5jh7cq wrote

For hypertrophy? Of course isolation/machines are better. Stability + isolation means less fatigue, means muscular failure comes before cardiovascular failure (which tends to be the opposite with big compounds)

vinceftw t1_j5jhge6 wrote

If you're reaching cardiovascular failure before muscle failure on compounds you're either fat af, 80 year old or extremely unfit which all mean you'd need the extra cardio.

TheDismal_Scientist t1_j5jhndb wrote

Personally I think people think they're hitting muscular failure when they're really hitting cardio failure when doing most compounds, but all we can do is agree to disagree there

Yeangster t1_j5jnbtd wrote

I was rowing for an hour a day for more than a year when I started squats and deadlifts. A heavy set of 3-5 would almost knock me out.

flyingShaq t1_j5j5rfn wrote

Yea, I'd have to agree. In terms of just pure muscular development isolation is most optimal.