Submitted by talentpipes11 t3_11a7po3 in LifeProTips

I quite enjoy the look of shorts, and as temperatures rise again I’ll be wearing them more frequently. Is there a method that prevents the blister-like painful spots that come from the spot where the skin of my thighs meet/rub? I’d like to be able to wear shorts every day but it gets difficult to comfortably walk if those spots aren’t given time to heal. Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

idreaminwords t1_j9qbl8k wrote

Have you tried body powder? Gold bond has a good one

talentpipes11 OP t1_j9qj1zj wrote

That’s a great idea— I’ll try it if I can find some!

spazzyone t1_j9v1rcb wrote

Go for a corn starch based powder instead of talcum powder. Talc is bad to inhale so repeated use is bad for your respiratory system

jentron128 t1_j9qcooa wrote

Two words: Boxer Briefs.

talentpipes11 OP t1_j9qj0ag wrote

That’s a fair point, but unfortunately I’m looking to wear (feminine) short shorts, so anything longer than them defeats the purpose, and anything shorter won’t help. Thanks though!

noatoriousbig t1_j9qd2l3 wrote

My life was changed when i discovered these. Especially those with some spandex; now i have no other underpant varietals

thecookie93 t1_j9r0om6 wrote

Go to REI or dicks and tell them about your problem. They have a whole assortment of products for runners and hikers that will be able to help.

Optionally, for me it was always the sweat build up during long hikes that caused chafing, so I just started using wet wipes between my thighs every few hours. Not always ideal, but it worked for me!

thisisgettingdaft t1_j9qeupz wrote

You can buy a product specifically for this, chub rub cream. Sunscreen works if you are caught short but you have to re-apply frequently.

MotherMercuryThrow t1_j9qe5wl wrote

Aerosol deodorant spray on your inner thighs BEFORE the day starts . It’ll kill the environment but it’ll save the chafe

keepthetips t1_j9qao6z wrote

Hello and welcome to r/LifeProTips!

Please help us decide if this post is a good fit for the subreddit by up or downvoting this comment.

If you think that this is great advice to improve your life, please upvote. If you think this doesn't help you in any way, please downvote. If you don't care, leave it for the others to decide.

johncandyspolkaband t1_j9qhomx wrote

Tommy John boxer briefs or LuLu Lemon or Vuori athletic shorts.

Complex-Middle-7310 t1_j9rdj2l wrote

Monistat makes a product specifically for this issue. It’s a gel that turns to powder, is very effective and last quite well. Comes in a tube. Can be ordered on Amazon.

Chemical-Star8920 t1_j9shgds wrote

Mega Babe makes some great products to address this and other weird body issues. You can also check out the gel-type stuff that runners use on their feet to prevent blisters and just use it on your thighs. In a pinch, regular deodorant will also work (but it works better if it’s a “powdery” kind and not a gel…does that make sense? Like the more solid ones?) but you will have to reapply. There are also all kinds of shorts you can wear under your clothes from bike shorts to shape wear to light and not tight shorts made for this problem (just google around), but whether or not those work will depend on what kind of clothes you’re wearing over it. A lot of feminine styles shorts are too short to cover those things but they’re great with longer shorts or dresses/skirts.

kllove t1_j9ta5s4 wrote

I think it’s finding the right shorts. Need to have fabric where rubbing would be. I’m an AFAB woman but this also worked for my AMAB husband. You need a snug fit from just below the crotch to as far down as your thighs seem to regularly touch while walking. Sports shorts with built in bike short type layer under the lightweight looser short layer work great. Hit up a store like TJ Max if you have one locally to try on a variety of “workout” shorts to find a good fit. Then find that brand and fit other places. An alternative is purchasing bike shorts or boxer briefs that you like to wear and that work under your favorite shorts.

Valuable-Math9969 t1_j9uho4n wrote

Gold Bond Friction Defense is my go-to for running.

thekilling_kind t1_j9x1x72 wrote

Powdery deodorant. Also, I’ve heard many times over the years that Preparation H is a surprisingly good hack for anti chafing. I’ve never tried myself but people swear by it!

seb21051 t1_j9qeqa9 wrote

I had the same problem weighing 230lbs. I lost 20 and the problem went a way. I'm 5'11", but was overweight for my frame.