Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

telebierro t1_j7hovot wrote

Funny how often he had to mention that they've been working on AI for years and how they used to be the pioneers. Like a hipster crying for props.

CrypticSplicer t1_j7i9kap wrote

I'm quite certain Google and Meta are ahead of OpenAI, but they have significantly more to lose by making models publicly available that may potentially make things up or say something offensive. On top of which, this chat search experience seems like something Google would be pretty careful with considering how frequently they've been sued because they somehow reduced page traffic to random websites.

geeky_username t1_j7jcl06 wrote

Meta is fairly open with what it's doing. But it seems like their teams are disconnected so there's no coordination.

Google seems to only announce when it's approved or sufficiently polished. Or just never showing to the public.

Apple only releases as part of a product or feature.

Mescallan t1_j7k8aot wrote

tbh I don't think we are going to get much out of Meta until they get close to a holodeck VR experience, or a mainstream-ready AR experience. I'm sure they could drop a chatbot in the next six months, but being able to compete with google/microsoft is going to be hard.

Apple is going to update siri in two years with an LLM and act like they are the saviors of the universe

Amazon is someone that I see get left out of this a lot. They have the resources and funding to make Alexa a search/chat bot as well, and it's right up their ally.

taleofbenji t1_j7ihwkj wrote

OpenAI uses tech pioneered by Google.

They didn't come out of nowhere.

---AI--- t1_j7khq2x wrote

Which tech?

−1

chief167 t1_j7kl03z wrote

GPT is largely built on Google research

keepthepace t1_j7jgm75 wrote

Google has been the biggest team player when it comes to publish advances in AI. OpenAI has been the worst: AI research paper of big players.

Most of the techs that made ChatGPT possible were published by Google. Worse: OpenAI does not publish the 1% of things that makes ChatGPT unique (though we know enough to have a pretty good idea of what they did).

I'd be whiny in their place as well. The GPT family is not super innovative, they just ran away with an architecture mostly made by Google (Transformers/BERT), stripped it of everything that prevented huge parallelization (which many suspect included things that would allow it to stay "grounded" in reality) and slapped more compute on it.

chief167 t1_j7kl5jd wrote

Yeah OpenAI was founded to be... Well... open.

It's the most closed ai company in existence probably

maizeq t1_j7jwzai wrote

I can understand their (the Meta/Google engineers) frustration when perspectives like yours proliferate everywhere.

Transformers were invented at Google. OpenAI is overwhelmingly a net consumer of AI research, and incredibly closed off on the few innovations they have actually made. There is a graph somewhere for research output of the various research labs that shows that despite OpenAI 300-400 or so employees, their publicly released open access research is a ridiculously tiny fraction of that of other research labs. Consider the damage this might do if their success convinces management at other tech labs to be more closed off with their AI research, further concentrating the ownership of AI into the hands of a single, or select few corporations. In this sense OpenAI is actively harming the democratisation of AI, which given the previously unseen productivity generating effects AI will have seems like a dangerous place to be in.

bartturner t1_j7k88ul wrote

> OpenAI is overwhelmingly a net consumer of AI research

Exactly. Not sure why people do not get this? Google has made many of the major fundamental AI breakthroughs from the last decade+.

So many fundamental things. GANs for example.