Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

fattius_maximus t1_jduvzdi wrote

Reply to comment by Grmmff in Maine Yard Care by AppointmentNo3240

Honestly, that’s never a concern for me. I have just 4 chickens. They provide more than enough protection from ticks for my 2 acres of a bit of woods and almost 1.5 acres of grass. Ticks suck, before I had those lovely ladies on my side property we had a lot. However we never sprayed pesticides because it doesn’t do anything but harm your land. I’m not on the up and up on how to destroy those little demons. But they are great feed for my chickens!

Grmmff t1_jduyvdp wrote

Honestly, I'm so tempted, but the thought of MORE living creatures to be responsible for right now is too much. Maybe next year.
Yea, no pesticides. Need bugs for baby to catch when he's older.

fattius_maximus t1_jdw8xij wrote

Yeah, I get the MORE part. I have a household of dogs, birds and even Guinea pig or two or 3. I was sure glad to have the ladies when egg prices went up. I had to buy eggs once in the last 2 years. Just not the same.

ComplexLeather986 t1_jdxcouw wrote

I’ve heard that Guinea hens eat the hell out of tick populations but also know their “scream” is um.. obnoxious, and that everything startles them. Husband and I just bought my aunts house with a great coop and definitely want to get some birds in there so I’d love some info on types.

Also - ticks give me anxiety. I had late disseminated Lyme in 2018 and it took years for the symptoms to go away. Also have a toddler so spraying is out.

fattius_maximus t1_jdxjylt wrote

They sure do, my aunt used to raise them! They are entertaining as well! Also annoying most of the time. But they can out eat chickens when it comes to insects. The problem is they eat a lot of the beneficial insects as well.