Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Super-Lychee8852 t1_jbm090y wrote

You guys still listen to the radio?

DidDunMegasploded t1_jbmo7qt wrote

With Spotify licking the boots of TikTok and Instagram now instead of fixing their priorities and fixing their broken "30-minute ad-free music" lies, I don't really have much of a choice.

And yes, I am, indeed, too broke to pay for Premium, before you ask.

If you wanna suggest an alternative not named Pandora, fire away. I'm completely open.

kayare4 t1_jbmqlxq wrote

Dash Radio

DidDunMegasploded t1_jbmx14p wrote

Are they like Spotify, or is it typical FM radio fare?

I'm not looking for the latter. I use TuneIn for the latter.

kayare4 t1_jbnw2hn wrote

More like Sirius XM. I've only been trying it out for a day, so I haven't had a chance to listen much, but we'll see how it goes today during my commute and while working. Seemed decently reviewed during my search to avoid one more subscription service.

DidDunMegasploded t1_jbo2jj7 wrote

Interesting. I never considered Sirius XM but I'll have to give Dash a try. I'll take Sirius over regular radio any day.

kayare4 t1_jbo7bu2 wrote

Our sirius after a discount just went up to $20 a month (was $30 full price), which isn't worth it to us (shared with my spouse). Probably going to cancel. Maybe they'll offer some better promos after we cancel.

trucks_guns_n_beer t1_jbo8chs wrote

Good luck canceling! I spent over 2 hours on the phone with those assholes trying to leave them. I miss the service, and howard stern, but fuck'em, i'll never go back after that.

curtludwig t1_jbo50ia wrote

If you've already got Amazon Prime their music app doesn't completely suck. They've just added podcasts and all the podcasts I had been listening to are on there. It's got a download option so I can use it when there is no service.

Dogsbottombottom t1_jbolzkj wrote

Some radio is fucking awesome. In particular college radio stations are great, because they exist outside of the conglomeratized radio landscape and will play a wildly eclectic mix of music.

With online streaming you can get it from anywhere your phone has service. I recall WFUV (Fordham University) being good. KXLU (Loloya Marrymount in LA) is decent, much less professional than WFUV tho.

They're usually not as put together as the professional stations, but if you can get past that, I think they play much more interesting music.

Sufficient-Squash428 t1_jbnyraf wrote

Yes, civilization & society & FREE

How's that solo listening doing for music & culture?

Super-Lychee8852 t1_jbo1hma wrote

Pretty good, way better for artists to get discovered. Radio plays 7 songs on repeat or has a crappy talk show going on, then the 5 minutes of ads every 2 songs. Radio hasn't been good in years