Submitted by BentheBruiser t3_11n6lrb in Maine

I'm driving home and much to my dismay there's what seems to be a segment of these two assholes. Are they taking over evening radio on WCYY as well?

I remember when it was first announced there was a lot of pushback from people. Is that not the case anymore?

How do people feel about this talk show?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

United_Mixture_6700 t1_jbltd8m wrote

Gawd awful. I want Robin Ivy to tell me Mercury's not retrograde.

freeski919 t1_jbm5fya wrote

I don't like any radio shows that feature primarily talk on a music format station. Sports radio, sure. NPR, great. Morning drive time shows on music stations? Uniformly garbage.

Due-Set5398 t1_jbnpiuk wrote

Anytime a coworker brings up Free Beer and Hot Wings, I judge them for being uncultured swine.

Lerch737 t1_jbnrocj wrote

HA! So I'm not the only one. Plus Tom-O and Mr Mike is 5000% better

Lemonchicken207 t1_jbocqx8 wrote

Yes I had a co-worker tell me how much he loves morning drive time shows and I don't understand it at all. I pay for Sirius XM partially just to avoid all the talking lol.

Shell58 t1_jblyodj wrote

Who the fuck puts a sports radio segment on an alternative rock station? I don't listen to the radio for music anymore because of crap like this. It would make more sense for a station like WHEB that already has shitty talk show segments and no new music so they don't really lose anything like WCYY does.

Squidworth89 t1_jblr0p9 wrote

If a talk show comes on I change the channel. Doesn’t really matter who it is though.

Super-Lychee8852 t1_jbm090y wrote

You guys still listen to the radio?

DidDunMegasploded t1_jbmo7qt wrote

With Spotify licking the boots of TikTok and Instagram now instead of fixing their priorities and fixing their broken "30-minute ad-free music" lies, I don't really have much of a choice.

And yes, I am, indeed, too broke to pay for Premium, before you ask.

If you wanna suggest an alternative not named Pandora, fire away. I'm completely open.

kayare4 t1_jbmqlxq wrote

Dash Radio

DidDunMegasploded t1_jbmx14p wrote

Are they like Spotify, or is it typical FM radio fare?

I'm not looking for the latter. I use TuneIn for the latter.

kayare4 t1_jbnw2hn wrote

More like Sirius XM. I've only been trying it out for a day, so I haven't had a chance to listen much, but we'll see how it goes today during my commute and while working. Seemed decently reviewed during my search to avoid one more subscription service.

DidDunMegasploded t1_jbo2jj7 wrote

Interesting. I never considered Sirius XM but I'll have to give Dash a try. I'll take Sirius over regular radio any day.

kayare4 t1_jbo7bu2 wrote

Our sirius after a discount just went up to $20 a month (was $30 full price), which isn't worth it to us (shared with my spouse). Probably going to cancel. Maybe they'll offer some better promos after we cancel.

trucks_guns_n_beer t1_jbo8chs wrote

Good luck canceling! I spent over 2 hours on the phone with those assholes trying to leave them. I miss the service, and howard stern, but fuck'em, i'll never go back after that.

curtludwig t1_jbo50ia wrote

If you've already got Amazon Prime their music app doesn't completely suck. They've just added podcasts and all the podcasts I had been listening to are on there. It's got a download option so I can use it when there is no service.

Dogsbottombottom t1_jbolzkj wrote

Some radio is fucking awesome. In particular college radio stations are great, because they exist outside of the conglomeratized radio landscape and will play a wildly eclectic mix of music.

With online streaming you can get it from anywhere your phone has service. I recall WFUV (Fordham University) being good. KXLU (Loloya Marrymount in LA) is decent, much less professional than WFUV tho.

They're usually not as put together as the professional stations, but if you can get past that, I think they play much more interesting music.

Sufficient-Squash428 t1_jbnyraf wrote

Yes, civilization & society & FREE

How's that solo listening doing for music & culture?

Super-Lychee8852 t1_jbo1hma wrote

Pretty good, way better for artists to get discovered. Radio plays 7 songs on repeat or has a crappy talk show going on, then the 5 minutes of ads every 2 songs. Radio hasn't been good in years

Oniriggers t1_jbmqvpm wrote

Man I remember listening to them with Crash Clark and Adolfo, commuting around Boston in my 20s. It’s been years since I’ve listened to them on the sports hub. They use to be the morning show then afternoon show? (if I’m remembering correctly) on an alternative/rock radio Boston station. They can be annoying after a while, the ancillary characters were what made the show great. Drunken bruins recap with Adolfo was one of their better bits, crash Clark running for his life while doing a radio bit gone wrong, you could hear the fear in his voice…

Breakertorque207 t1_jbo0r6w wrote

No. I want music in the morning. I’m miss the Robin Ivy days of cyy. The zodiac zone was the best quick break and then back to music.

Majestic-Feedback541 t1_jbm3hki wrote

I don't even remember the last time I actually listened to the radio.. when did Pandora come out? About that time..

rockcitybender t1_jblx3fy wrote

I've listened to them since I lived in Mass in 2014. To each their own though!

SullyZero t1_jbmjnvn wrote

I hate it so much. The only thing that was worse was the absolute joke of a talk show that Toucher and Rich replaced. You couldn't come up with a parody of a morning talk show worse than that garbage.

TransientMoth t1_jbnojfd wrote

I hate it so fucking much I’ve put my binder of CDs back in my car.

Cbeck34 t1_jbmz248 wrote

A) CYY has had a syndicated morning show for a long while now. I would love if they developed some local personalities to put on in the morning but that doesn’t appear to be happening anytime soon.

B) Toucher & Rich are a MASSIVE upgrade over Woody & Wilcox. While yes they have sports segments, they are not a sports show. They talk music plenty. And they’re actually entertaining. I challenge anyone to listen to Brookline 911 or a drunken Red Sox/Bruins recap and not enjoy it.

Mergus84 t1_jbntzh8 wrote

I've been out of the CYY loop for years, but it seems like every time I give them a try it's either garbage corporate radio blather or they're playing the same 5 songs from the 90's. Or if it's new music, it's still garbage.

SithLordoftheRing t1_jbnynvp wrote

Call me crazy, but before toucher and rich I would have to listen to “i’m begginn begginn youuuu” not once but TWICE for a 15 minute commute every morning. Quickly hated the song as radio often kills songs. At least T and R give me some different stories or segments each morning.

Impressive-Pepper785 t1_jbocmwv wrote

I don’t listen to WCYY anymore in the mornings, ever. Honestly not as much at all in the last few years because the amount of WJBQ music they play is just stupid

MyDadIsTheMan t1_jbn5wxy wrote

Yes. Love ‘em. Listened to them in Boston

bwma t1_jbnn1iy wrote

Why are they assholes? They seem like decent guys and they’re very entertaining.

timothypjr t1_jbntsv3 wrote

I sure don’t. I doubt I’m the demographic, but yeah. When they come on, I switch to a podcast.

Alldamage t1_jbo1g4d wrote

I like sports talk radio. Really do. When I commute to Boston, or do long drives, I’ll listen to them. However, they do not belong on CYY. There are already two sports talk stations in Portland/Maine area, sometimes I need my jams. Been CYY since the beginning, wish they hadn’t done this

LiLohan t1_jboafu6 wrote

This is exactly my opinion on it - I like sports talk radio when I'm in the mood for it, during the right sports seasons, etc. However, it just isn't what should be on CYY. I don't listen to the radio as much as I used to (in part because I work from home, but also because some critter chewed my car antenna) but I'm also really surprised at how broad their music selection has become. I never thought I'd hear Metallica or (ugh) Kid Rock in rotation on CYY.

Notmystationbro t1_jblxgff wrote

Glad i have Audacy and can listen to pretty much every major cities rock stations. You can too since it’s free.

ptmtp26 t1_jbn790s wrote

I can’t stand them. Touch-her and bitch are a waste of airwaves.

Mr_Mkhedruli t1_jbnlvx3 wrote

I’m a music lover, but I would rather sit in silence than listen to the radio. If my phone dies, it’s a quiet drive.

lanieloo t1_jbnutki wrote

They are absolutely the most boring people I’ve ever heard open their mouths…It’s honestly turned me off of CYY a little, even as a lifelong fan :/

Lindarial t1_jbo10jg wrote

Honestly, they are the reason I stopped listening to CYY.

hogrider01 t1_jbo6liu wrote

I stopped listening to radio when blm lost Mark Perski. I first thought the BLM protest where to get him back but I obviously showed up with the wrong sign.

chancimus33 t1_jbobf8f wrote

What’s wrong with Fred’s voice?

Zyra00 t1_jbphqh3 wrote

They're great and I listen to them whenever I get the chance. I don't need to hear green day for the 1000000th time or heaven forbid when CYY plays shit like imagine dragons.

There are way too many terrible sports radio shows, including the racist boomers on the AM jab or the most boring possible radio ever with Mannix and Mannix. Toucher and Rich picked up where shows like Lebatard left off.

ElevatorOver2762 t1_jbq83dz wrote

Toucher and Rich are the best Morning Drive radio show on planet Earth! The A.M. Jab needs some competition to step up their game.Theyre always kissing the Red Sox behinds. Steak and Eggs boys!

Foreign-Host-1408 t1_jbt1nzu wrote

Spose and that Xander guy ruined WCYY with Jon Gerrish #hearnospeakno #nine

Pvt_Wierzbowski t1_jbzyu6e wrote

lol at Toucher and Rich consistently pulling in 20+ shares in the Boston ratings. Maybe they don’t translate outside of their home market but they’ll be around for a while. You’re stuck with them so get used to it.

emilyfenfen t1_jbnno57 wrote

I can’t stand listening to them.

UncleRicosWig t1_jbnqkl7 wrote

They suck, just like captain and Celeste

B0ndzai t1_jbo0ysj wrote

I like sports talk radio and I still find them terrible. They should be on weei they are so bad.

Also one of them sounds just like Todd Packer from The Office. Not a voice built for radio.

CM_Chonk_1088 t1_jbnzzs7 wrote

It’s too scattered and has zero flow. They call it a sports variety talk show, but I feel as if their sports commentary is sparse, one-track minded, and otherwise inseparable from the mindless babble you hear from a drunk guy at a dive bar at 1 am. The guests they have on I never recognize as anyone important with regards to sports, and their non-sports bits are just…crude? It’s a radio show that worked 20 years ago maybe but it’s just bad. Jesus, the entire weekday programming of 96.5 The Big Jab is better than this toxic dump heap of a radio show.

−1