Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

mma94gunbuilder t1_jdr4den wrote

Yes, what you want to do is possible in the state of Maine depending on the TOWN codes. some towns do not allow different things, but many do. So it will depend on the location really.

And as for passing it on to your kids so they can't sell it, that is possible also in a few different ways. But my mom and Dad have a piece of property that they put into an irrevocable Trust that gives them life time tendency and controlling say over the land while they are alive, however when they die, it stays in the family trust and cannot be sold. SO there is definitely ways to do what you want.

raggedtoad t1_jdsfyhb wrote

Re: the town codes, the easiest way to avoid this is just to buy land outside of an incorporated town or city area, which OP would likely have to do anyway to get some decent acreage.

Once you're living in whatever township or other unincorporated area, you can largely do whatever you like as long as there isn't a state or federal law against it.

DistanceSuper3476 t1_jdr96un wrote

I bet Land in Up State NY is cheaper and is taxed less.than Me. or Vt!

GrowFreeFood t1_jdrlj6y wrote

You might want to look that up brohan

DistanceSuper3476 t1_jdrsug3 wrote

Maines property tax is one of the highest in the nation ....

GrowFreeFood t1_jdrv0b3 wrote

But our total tax burden is less when tou look at more than just that

Notmystationbro t1_jdrvqt7 wrote

It all balances its self out in the end. One tax can be high in said state but have lower taxes on another

Character_Screen_265 t1_jdsfomx wrote

As someone who is relatively new to Maine the property taxes here are so dependent on which town you move to. My NH town was considered low tax. When we looked at some of the towns south of Bangor I was shocked at how much more I was going to have pay in property tax alone over my equivalent NH house. (To be fair Iā€™m told that the town I was looking at is where all the doctors and lawyers live but it was a huge increase in tax burden even when you consider some of the other ways NH gets you)

DistanceSuper3476 t1_jds8q7m wrote

Right like being taxed on food and clothing ...I will say it again ,Maine is a highly taxed expensive state to live in

GrowFreeFood t1_jdsabh9 wrote

You can say it all you want. Doesn't mean you are accurate

DistanceSuper3476 t1_jdsb9mr wrote

I am 100% on point .....The state's property taxes are somewhat higher than the national average at a 1.09% effective rate.....

Barkada_Tayo t1_jdr9p5j wrote

Nope where we are the taxes are insane and ranked 8 in the nation for property taxes.. And the states laws are heavily influenced by laws passed for NYC ...and the two places are highly incompatible . NY state is also a police state.

−1

Sleuthiestofsleuths t1_jdr4cnh wrote

I cannot answer all your questions with precise authority, but I have been researching a similar plan for a while and here's what I have found: Definitely talk to a lawyer about putting the land in a trust. This way it passes on to your children (or trustees) without inheritance tax, and remains intact. As for additional dwellings, it will totally depend on the town/county where you purchase the land. They all have their own rules & restrictions. However, one thing I've found that seems to be consistent is that you can build additional dwellings on your land where additional homes might not be allowed, as long as they're classified as "outbuildings." Meaning, not a legal 3,4,5, home property....maybe a 2 home property with 3 outbuildings. But, again, rules will be specific to the exact location.

Sufficient_Risk1684 t1_jdrc9kl wrote

Probably tough in Vermont. The are wicked restrictive on any form of subdivision or development in rural areas.

mydogcecil t1_jdrfvbx wrote

Visit first, then ask questions. You're just dreaming with s keyboard with no research on your part..

Barkada_Tayo t1_jdrg7vn wrote

What would make you assume we haven't visited and been researching?

There's tons of research already done and money ready to pull it off so it's not dreaming. We've visited both Maine and Vermont lots of times. But there's not enough years to visit every potential place we'd live. We'd just be visiting and researching our whole lives. But some things are better asked than diving into the intricacies of the zoning laws of an infinite number of potential places we'd be living .

It's what places like this are for. Anything you ask here could be researched endlessly online but sometimes it's better to ask locals who are from the place.

If you don't want to contribute that's fine....but just saying to research something that can be asked simply rather than researching aimlessly questions that could be answered much faster here...is kind of silly

−8

DudlyDjarbum t1_jdrwpep wrote

Any reason not to do this in upper ny?

Barkada_Tayo t1_jdrwx0y wrote

I mentioned it another comment . New York state is a police state. Laws created for NYC affect the whole state and their economy is different than the rest of the state so it creates for a state that's really more legislated than it need to be

Beneficial-Astronaut t1_jds09c5 wrote

For example? What "NYC-centric" laws in upstate NY do you think you'll avoid in Maine or Vermont?

Barkada_Tayo t1_jds31l9 wrote

There's a lot. And I don't want to turn this thread into that. Suffice it to say I'm not "running" away from NY state, we just prefer the land, region and feel of the outdoors in Vermont and Maine.

And no hostility intended this is more aimed at all the anti newcomers in this thread...Maine is part of the US and as an American, I have the right to buy land and live anywhere in the US I want.

−2

Beneficial-Astronaut t1_jds3oqr wrote

Definitely have your right to prefer one to the other, of course. I was just curious because it might seem to you that you would have different rules in New England but in reality they could be more similar than you realize to upstate in many towns. But I suppose you have most likely done your homework on that, I just don't have the foggiest in what you are referencing exactly.

PencillCat t1_jdrlyrj wrote

Yeah unfortunately most of what you're asking (relating to building) is reliant on which town you'd want to build on. Your best bet is to research which towns you'd want to move, and then consult a lawyer or code enforcement. Make sure everything that you'd want to do is possible before buying. Some towns have funny ordinances.

Don't be like the guy who bought land next to my family's camp wanting to build a cabin, only to find after the fact that town regulations didn't allow it. šŸ¤­

The trust thing is definitely possible too. My family's camp is in a trust, and neither my grandmother's kids nor us grandkids can sell it until only one of us is left to inherit it.

Barkada_Tayo t1_jdrqbev wrote

šŸ™

Why wouldn't he be able to build a cabin on his land?

PencillCat t1_jdrquzc wrote

Too close to the water. Can't build within like 250ft of the lake shore. The plot wasn't wide enough away from the shore to build anything on.

Ok_Olive9438 t1_jdrqtw7 wrote

I would think a good real estate buyerā€™s agent would be helpful here, in looking for towns that would allow this, and then looking for land in those places. Also, as others have mentioned, some of what you can do cam be done with a land trust.

theharddog1 t1_jds2m1y wrote

A lot of people have the same dream. Itā€™s not the Waltons anymore so definitely talk with the towns code enforcement before buying but itā€™s still possible but they arenā€™t making any more landā€¦

cheyboo98 t1_jds5oy4 wrote

You may have looked into this policy already, but it's a very important one for future homesteaders to keep in mind if you're buying to develop yourself. Mainers have put a lot of land into "tree growth" to protect our undeveloped land from being built on. Even new owners will have to pay the taxes and fees associated with moving land "out of tree growth" and start tearing down the trees, most commonly if you are looking to buy anywhere northern and truly rustic.

From all my personal research as a local looking to do the same one day, it's a fairly hefty cost.

Each town varies and unincorporated townships get even trickier. There can be some pretty extreme differences dependent on where you're looking to build and live. You'd likely be better off choosing a couple interesting areas with land for sale in that range and looking into the individual municipal codes, or at least noting these locations in this or a future post, or you'll start getting incorrect info and potentially town specific information for a place you don't see yourself in the long run.

bugdude666 t1_jdrku99 wrote

My grandmother bought a bunch of acres some years back and gave a plot to my parents with the understanding that theyā€™ll take care of her as she starts declining. It is my understanding that she gave them an actual lot on her land, and that my parents own that land. It differs from town to town so I canā€™t offer much advice, but it is definitely doable (and in my opinion an excellent idea)

Quiet_Hornet_5506 t1_jdrmwie wrote

Having lived in both and homesteading, including livestock, I can say there are pros and cons to both. Maine overall has lower property taxes, but Vermont will abate property taxes for your primary residence based on income. Vermont has a larger, more established farm to table scene if you are looking for side income. Very northern VT is much less regulated than almost anywhere in the country; however, some of the laws have been shifting in VT rapidly in ways that native Vermonters likely would not have chosen. There are many places in Maine where you can't build a second house on your land, so it is worth speaking with the Code Officer before buying a parcel. Overall, I have found the cost of living is lower in Maine, but I miss the inexpensive and amazing local food in VT. Happy to chat more about this if you want to DM me.

Smart_Operation7072 t1_jds3hgd wrote

You may want to look at towns that are ā€œtownshipsā€ in Maineā€”no organized govt and generally less strict with rules. But like others are saying, itā€™s really going to come down to the town-level regs.

ecco-domenica t1_jdsdej8 wrote

It's a big state where local control is strong with a wide variety of town cultures and ordinances; you've asked a very localized question without specifying a location.

InfamousCelery4438 t1_jdsb9np wrote

I've always liked the Burnham area. Close enough to Waterville but definitely a country feel. I don't know anything about codes, though.

I personally would buy a developed property with either a ranch style or smaller older home to start. Then decide later if you want to rebuild or add new buildings. No need to reinvent the wheel by building from scratch.

Barkada_Tayo t1_jdsbyps wrote

There's a big difference in price in land with an established home and bare land though

InfamousCelery4438 t1_jdscr91 wrote

True. I'm thinking you might have to go further north than that area, up past Lincoln. My great grandfather was a farmer in the area. Used to spend summers up there. Bangor being your major shopping center and airport.

InfamousCelery4438 t1_jdsd7qe wrote

Caratunk and that area gets some nasty thunderstorms. I mean, anyplace can get storms, but I'm just saying based on my cousin camping in the Caratunk area for years. She used to talk about them.

GuppyGB t1_jdrbg25 wrote

YEAH COME TAKE OUR LAND WE DON'T NEED IT ANYWAY. LIFE IS SO SIMPLE UP IN MAINE WE ALL MAKE MAPLE SYRUP AND ICE FISH FOR A LIVIN'.

−8

Barkada_Tayo t1_jdrbn6y wrote

No one's taking anything. I'm buying something being sold that someone else has just as much of an opportunity to buy. If I don't buy it...what you think they'd just give it to you?

Jesus get a grip. Be angry at the people selling not the people buying . And it's not my fault you haven't found yourself in a place to buy up land for yourself.

I'm not going to be made to feel bad for working like a dog my whole life, to provide for my children and family to finally see them off and buy land for myself and family so I can live life as I want it.

−1

GuppyGB t1_jdrdu83 wrote

L bozo cringe response

−5

Barkada_Tayo t1_jdre1k1 wrote

Ah just a troll šŸ‘a troll kid on top of it based on your post history. Probably pissed you cant even find a job much less buy land for yourself . Grow up

Well good luck with that. I find it ironic that chances are you are a white man screaming "you're taking our land!!!"

GuppyGB t1_jdrjqww wrote

Yup that's me! I have no job or house! I just let my wife know. She's given the thumbs up so I guess it's fine.

GuppyGB t1_jdrf2a1 wrote

No I just have a lot of land for sale and I ice fish and make maple syrup. If you reread my comment you'd see I was inviting you. God, NY people are so thick.

−3