Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

GuanoLoopy t1_iu2ftjz wrote

I'd go back to feeling good about tipping 20%, when 15% was the norm, instead of feeling guilted into tipping even more (25%) nowadays and going back to at most 10% for takeout instead of like 15% i do now.

Consularis90 t1_iu3o1dp wrote

Long winded, virtue signaling way to say you’d tip less.

−17

GuanoLoopy t1_iu3r8j3 wrote

Correct. Tip less cuz they'd be making more. Ideally I'd prefer no tipping at all, and that wages are built into the cost of the product. But like the metric system, it just isn't something that is likely to go away in my lifetime in the US.

Consularis90 t1_iu3zi10 wrote

Agreed. I think tipping as a reward/return for good service makes much more sense than tipping to subsidize the wages of an employee.

LifeInTheCarpoolLane t1_iu2h4xg wrote

If question D passes, service workers in Portland would make a base $15 an hour, and that would gradually increase to $18 by 2025. Were that the case, I would probably start tipping 15%, as opposed to the 20% I tip now.

eljefino t1_iu47yjt wrote

That's probably how I'd do it-- I bias towards a higher percentage on lower tabs. Since my bill will presumably be higher to cover these costs I'd tip a lower percentage (but still decent dollar amount.)

A waiter at Dimillo's doesn't work 3x as hard as one at IHOP.

800grandave t1_iu3pfxf wrote

i don’t necessarily disagree with your point. i bartend. the only people that would share your viewpoint, would be tourists, strangers, non regulars (imo/experience)

i dont make a living off randos, i make money off people who feel that theyre welcome/safe/whatever that i also see multiple times a week. this pay raise will not alter how they view or value me.

i feel the 15 an hour is only remarkable as a step forward for actually valuing those that do “worthless, why dont you get a real job kinda shit”

im also worried for the small business owner. wheres the line of “oh what will the owner do with rising payroll” as opposed to “can i have something to show on taxes”

theres no fun way outta this. tipping culture is trash, yet i rely on it. if youre a hard-stance “im not tipping anymore….Cuz the principle kinda guy” then fuck you too.

i dunno what im saying, work bled into life and i took 87 shots. weeeeeeeeee

LifeInTheCarpoolLane t1_iu4ers3 wrote

I get it. I hate tipping culture and think it's dumb as hell. I've always tipped 20% regardless of the service I receive because I know service workers rely, almost solely, on tips to pay the bills. It's not my place to take food off someone's plate because maybe they were having an off day at work.

I'm with you on the concerns to small business's as well. A sudden change from paying your full time staff $31,000 a year, where they were previously making $5500, isn't the type of overnight accounting change that's gonna land a soft blow. I don't know what the actual solve is to be honest. I wish I understood the service industry a little better to get why restaurants and bars outside the US don't have this problem.

I guess I'm also rambling now. Here's a question though, and something I think about often. Why don't all restaurants, bars, etc just add a mandatory 18% gratuity to every bill? It's not a perfect solution, but it guarantees as long as there's business the staff is getting their cut. It would also circumvent the pieces of shit who think they have some moral high ground not to pay someone for their labor because their arbitrary bar for "good service" wasn't met.

siebzy t1_iu31exo wrote

If you go over to Falmouth, will you ask the servers to make sure they are making less than $18/hr before you decide how much to tip?

−6

kubabooba OP t1_iu35zcq wrote

The question specifically asks about Portland question D

siebzy t1_iu3ymdl wrote

You are unbelievably dense

−3

LifeInTheCarpoolLane t1_iu4cxfl wrote

No, I would be aware of my geographical location and tip 20% as per usual, knowing that service workers in Falmouth don't make Portland minimum wage.

siebzy t1_iu4ew62 wrote

Do you know that, or do you just assume that? Dumbass.

LifeInTheCarpoolLane t1_iu4fdyp wrote

Yea, I do know that. I'm usually pretty aware of what town I'm currently in. And I'm also quite positive wages in Falmouth aren't effected by the Portland minimum wage. Again, on account of those being two different municipalities.

siebzy t1_iu4lhn6 wrote

Yes but how do you know what the hourly wage of a given server in a given restaurant is. Maybe they get more than the minimum! By your logic, they should be tipped less. But how do you know to make that decision?

LifeInTheCarpoolLane t1_iu4ntpg wrote

Dude, the entire conversation here is centered on wait staff in Portland based on a referendum on the Portland ballot. The only thing I've said is if it passes, and thus I know service workers are making Portland minimum wage, I would tip 5% less in Portland. In all other scenarios, such as establishments outside of Portland, I would assume the workers did not make minimum wage and tip my default 20%.

If I were in another town and happened to know that workers made the equivalent of Portland minimum wage, I would tip as if I were in Portland. I would not interrogate wait staff over their base wages because that's something only a crazy person would suggest. So in this scenario the worst case is I may "accidentally" tip someone making the equivalent of Portland minimum wage 5% more than I usually would.

siebzy t1_iu4p1x0 wrote

Or you could just tip normally and not be a fucking weirdo about it

−2

LifeInTheCarpoolLane t1_iu4pt92 wrote

Ok, I'm done trying to engage with you in good faith, you obviously just wanna be toxic. I'm not sure what you're actually upset about, but I don't think it can possibly be a stranger on the internet implying they would tip a little less if they knew a service worker was making a guaranteed $31,000 a year instead of $5500.

You should step away from Reddit for awhile and seriously consider seeing a therapist. This isn't healthy behavior, and if you talk to people like this in real life I can't imagine you have any healthy relationships with real people.

RealMainer t1_iu2h26n wrote

Employers are required to pay even service workers minimum wage if they don’t make enough tips to make up the difference, so you can rest assured, all service workers make at least minimum wage (and most make way more than the cooks).

I tip based solely in the service I receive. If it’s good, I tip 20% or more. If it suck’s, I won’t tip. If I am paying and picking up my food somewhere myself, and the credit card reader asks if I want to leave a tip, the answer is no, unless the place looks really busy and the employees look stressed, then I’ll leave a tip sometimes.

siebzy t1_iu31xjb wrote

Employers in the restaurant industry in particular steal millions of dollars in tips from employees annually. I wouldn't be so self-assured about anyone else's earnings if I were you

iceflame1211 t1_iu36gav wrote

Are employers in Portland, Maine stealing tips from their employees? If so, please support this with examples. I'm genuinely curious how often this happens

siebzy t1_iu3z0qi wrote

I know of a specific example at Il Leone on Peaks this summer. Anecdote not evidence obvi, but it's a very real thing that happens.

iceflame1211 t1_iu40cza wrote

When this came up in 2016 or 2017, there were only two examples of servers being paid less than min wage in Maine in the past decade. Do you know if this incident at Il Leone was reported? There are undoubtedly corrupt restaurant owners, who need to be called out if this happens. It is in fact illegal.

It was very difficult for the anti-tipped wage proponents to demonstrate tipped servers were earning less than minimum wage previously, wondering if that has changed with any actual concrete examples.

siebzy t1_iu40yzo wrote

It wasn't reported because the server's mother went down there and made a scene with the douchebag grifter owner (he was a shithead grifter before this for other reasons) and forced him to cough up the cash by making a scene at his restaurant

RealMainer t1_iu3vhhw wrote

I don’t doubt it, but that’s even less reason to tip.

Weird-Tomorrow-9829 t1_iu2o7kl wrote

Depends on the wage. Minimum: probably still tip but less. More than minimum? Not at all.

siebzy t1_iu31q5d wrote

Do you routinely ask the staff how much they make per hour before you buy things in stores?

This seems very complicated and awkward to me.

HIncand3nza t1_iu41fc3 wrote

You don’t tip at a retail store though

siebzy t1_iu45hsh wrote

Are you planning on interrogating your bartender on their wages before calculating the tip? Seems incredibly awkward.

Dirty_Lew t1_iu53t4d wrote

Did you ask the retail worker how much they made before you decided to snub them without a tip?

Weird-Tomorrow-9829 t1_iu8oaag wrote

Obviously not. But if I’m aware of someone making $18 an hour Im not going to tip them.

jarnhestur t1_iu3wui1 wrote

I’m definitely tipping less. 10%, if the service is good. Otherwise, 0-5%.

Outside of Portland, it’ll be the standard 15-20%.

siebzy t1_iu3zvph wrote

Gonna be asking your servers how much they make hourly to ensure it's subminimum huh.

−6

KusOmik t1_iu42ycu wrote

Do you tip the guy who changes your oil or the postman who delivers your mail? Those guys aren’t making more than $18 an hour. Why do servers deserve tips more than them?

siebzy t1_iu462dg wrote

You're an idiot

−8

KusOmik t1_iu466k5 wrote

Yeah, I knew you wouldn’t have a response to that. You people never do.

siebzy t1_iu491r1 wrote

Both my postman and my car guy make more than $18. You're an idiot.

−8

KusOmik t1_iu4f74r wrote

Maybe, because those are higher skilled jobs than a server. How about the cashier at the grocery store or the EMT in town? Those guys are making $18/hr. Are you tipping them? Why are servers the only ones deserving of a living wage & also 22% tip on every order?

jarnhestur t1_iu4gl31 wrote

Nope. I’m going to treat them like everyone else. I don’t tip my cashier or the oil change guy.

Why would I tip anyone 20% on services I pay for? The food industry is weird way.

Dirty_Lew t1_iu51uk3 wrote

You won’t need to ask, you’ll already know servers are making at least $18 if you’re in Portland.

iceflame1211 t1_iu366uq wrote

I don't like it because it encourages restaurants to become more counter or tablet service with just a runner. Restaurants should be able to operate their pay the way they want. Server make at least minimum wage, always. Raising the min wage raises it for them too... Even if it's a bad shift.

Is there actual evidence of wage theft upon servers at restaurants in Portland? I've never known any restaurant where front of house workers earned less than back of house.

kubabooba OP t1_iu36e1t wrote

It’s not wage theft. The tipped servers make ballpark 6$ an hour plus tips. There are some additional rules and regulations out that’s the gist off it

iceflame1211 t1_iu36r9h wrote

I am aware of the rules, i''ve been a server for a good while. I've never known any to make less than minimum wage on their paycheck though- ever. Usually their hourly is 2-3x, but even on a bad shift, employers are legally required to make up the difference. Most employ expensive payroll companies to do this because there are large fines for wage theft even if you accidentally underpay your FoH staff.

kubabooba OP t1_iu372he wrote

So I believe that would go away with the new question and it be standard minimum wage not a Tip credit as now. I know servers make more money on tips than actual wages, I’m just wondering how people would feel about tipping if they new that servers hourly wage has doubled.

iceflame1211 t1_iu38ekb wrote

>it be standard minimum wage not a Tip credit as now.

Correct. The tipped wage would go away, which is not... exactly the same thing as a the tip credit*.

I believe most servers (and restaurant owners for that matter) do not want the tipped wage to go away. I know when this issue came up in Augusta a few years ago state-wide, the turnout was hundreds if not thousands, and the hearing went well into the night, overwhelmingly in favor of the restaurant industry. The people speaking against it largely all had zero actual restaurant experience.

I simply don't see a problem with the way things are for servers/bartenders in Portland right now. They regularly earn much more than their back of house counterparts, who also are earning at least minimum wage.

*Sidenote:A lot of people confuse some of these terms, but the federal tip credit is actually something the employer files for with their taxes, as the employer pays their side of ss/other taxes on the employee's tips earned all year. This is different than the "minimum wage for tipped employees", which is set by state. This is also very different from the "subminimum wage", which is often used but very wrong. That's something an employer needs to specially apply for from the state for permission to pay, for certain categories of workers who may not have other opportunities to work. They can legally pay subminimum wage workers less than minimum wage. Tipped employees are not subminimum wage workers, but you will often see that term misused- sometimes even in published news.

kubabooba OP t1_iu39sre wrote

That’s for additional info, this is great. Would you happen to know if it is legal to work on states minimum wage and also file your taxes with tips under tip credit

iceflame1211 t1_iu3a1he wrote

I'm not sure I understand the question. The tipped employees don't file anything special regarding a tip credit - only their employer. Tipped employees only get a w-2 to file their taxes, like most employees.

kubabooba OP t1_iu3aeh9 wrote

Sorry I had a hard time wording the previous question. Let me try again. So tip workers are supposed to claim their tips on taxes because they are a tip credit worker. Would they be able to claim tips in the same way if they were not a tip credit worker and just an hourly employee.

iceflame1211 t1_iu3aum2 wrote

>So tip workers are supposed to claim their tips on taxes because they are a tip credit worker

Tip credit workers essentially claim all of their tips after every shift, but at least every pay period. The employer needs to know if they made above minimum wage. If I worked a 5 hour shift at $13/hr, when I clock out I'd tell them I made $10 or $100. Both would be on my paycheck, in different categories, and both would be included on my W-2 at the end of the year.

If they were "just an hourly employee", then they probably wouldn't make tips. If you mean what if they earned minimum wage hourly + tips, then they'd be expected to claim tips in the same way when they earned tipped wage + tips. Any worker in any field, like a hair stylist or taxi driver, who is in a habitually tipped position, is supposed to legally claim all of their tips as income.

[edit] this is assuming by "tip credit worker" you mean "minimum tipped wage worker"... which again, nuances, but those can be different things =)

SplinterLips t1_iu2q78l wrote

This is a great idea for a survey. It’s something I’m curious about too.

In_betweener t1_iu32zd5 wrote

Min wage is still garbanzo beans.

Dimmer06 t1_iu36ee6 wrote

Tipped workers already make minimum wage or more. Under the tip credit they're forced to subsidize their employer's labor costs with their tips.

kubabooba OP t1_iu36mvp wrote

I know they make more with tips. That’s why I asked question would people tip the same if their hourly wage goes from 6.38 to 15$/ hr. And the prices on the menu have gone up to compensate for increases business cost.

P-Townie t1_iu3b9mr wrote

This seems like a distraction. If we vote no, thousands of non-tipped workers will continue to make below $18/hr. It's unfortunate these issues are combined, but that's the reality we're working with this year. (I will likely tip 10-15% in Portland and 20% elsewhere.)

Present_Assistant_60 t1_iu5zzwp wrote

Wow we make way more than minimum wage and in a tipping industry in Las Vegas also have full coverage insurance for a family of 4 for 50 dollars a month.

siebzy t1_iu31avs wrote

How often do you go into a business and ask the employees what their hourly wage is? Me? Never. But I tip my bartenders anyway.

kubabooba OP t1_iu32imj wrote

Why would anybody ask employees about their wage, not sure how you got that from the post but maybe you have tipped your bartender this evening one too many times.

siebzy t1_iu334tt wrote

If you are basing your tip on how much the bartenders make hourly, wouldn't you need to know the actual figure?

kubabooba OP t1_iu33nn1 wrote

No, I don’t tip grocery clerk or my post man Because I know they are not a tip credit workers and they make at least states minimum wage. It is commonly known that service industry is paid with tips and tip credit. So if the question passed it would be commonly know that they make at least the minimum wage, and a lot of other minimum wages don’t get tipped. That’s the reason for the poll question.

siebzy t1_iu35t31 wrote

If you go to South Portland or Westbrook or Falmouth for dinner do you plan to ask what the hourly wage is at the restaurant before you write the tip on the slip?

siebzy t1_iu33fcq wrote

There are a decent number of restaurants and bars in town that already pay minimum or more hourly plus tips. Do you know which those are? Do you tip less in those places?

The point is to illustrate the absurdity of your question.

kubabooba OP t1_iu3801l wrote

No, can you please tell which restaurants and bars pay minimum wage and observe the tip credit law?

Walter_J_Bro t1_iu4h5af wrote

How is this going to show up though? Will a burger that costs $17.00 now cost $25.00, or will there be a 10% service charge "to pay our workers a liveable wage" on the bill? I think if it's the 2nd scenario that will most likely impact the amount people tip.

Otherwise if you're a tourist on vacation or going out to a special occasion dinner I'm not sure that people will tip less. I know I've had to cut back going out just because of how much it costs. I won't stop going out altogether and I will tip when I go out, but I will probably have to cut back even more if the prices were higher.

Dirty_Lew t1_iu52gxp wrote

Most people assume servers make a sub minimum wage, many people will correctly stop presuming that when eating in Portland. No awkward conversation needed.

Tarankhoes t1_iu40d5p wrote

I usually tip about 40% because I think it’s criminal how much they earn, if they made minimum wage I would probably go down to 20-25%.

−2

kubabooba OP t1_iu50a5f wrote

You must make a lot more than average Maine household to be tipping 40%

Tarankhoes t1_iu5hy4z wrote

Double disposable incomes, no kids, I make average, boyfriend makes about triple-quadruple what I make. Tipping is also just something I enjoy doing, it makes me happy to think I might make someone else happy. 🤷‍♀️