Submitted by MickeyNico t3_ye60ny in Maine

Hi, I'm an international student with 3.0 GPA and my major is chemical engineering. I'm considering to study in US but not in big cities, instead small towns like Orono. How do you find my decision? Are there better choices that locate in small towns and more reasonable to live? Actually the reason I'm resisting on uMaine is that they offer full tution + yearly stipend for both M.S and PhD degrees. (It's around 15k but I know it'll not be enough so I'm also considering to work). So I'm not in the position of affording huge tution bills of other universities and it pushes me to apply for uMaine & and also bcs of its warm environment. To keep it short, what are my chances of getting yearly stipend+full tution and how good&tough M.S Chem Eng program of uMaine is?

*I've been in 4 different internships (each of them lasted for month)

*I have good GRE score

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Majestic-Feedback541 t1_itw533b wrote

I would speak with someone at the college you intend to go to (like an advisor or someone like that). They would have a lot of information for you, be able to answer your questions, and give you resources to check out.

Guygan t1_itw6tnx wrote

> small towns like Maine

Maine is not a town.

Versistone t1_itw7x0i wrote

I think there's a department that could help you out with this. If you need help finding someone from the university, I'm local and can look into it for you, just DM me.

Also, warm climate? Maine is miserably cold for months at a time. If you meant climate as in personality though, spot on. Great area

MickeyNico OP t1_itw99xj wrote

Great, all I need is Chemical Engineering Master or Doctoral student that recivies full tution+stipend. I've got just few questions to ask, actually anyone studying MS degree of Chem Eng is also ok if you can't find with stipend.

Thank you so much in advance.

I meant personality, yes. :D

mdallen t1_itw9e8l wrote

Try LinkedIn or another professional networking site.

If those don't work, reach out to the Graduate Admissions office and ask to speak with either an alumni or a current student in your field.

mainebee t1_itw9mbn wrote

When you say "warm environment" are you talking about the weather or Maine's reputation as such a kind, welcoming place?

Majestic-Feedback541 t1_itw9sye wrote

Through Instagram? I mean contact the actual school. I sure they have someone responding, as much as possible, on social media accounts. However, I've always found it more convenient to contact a person directly. If you don't want to call, all the schools have emails listed. If your choose the wrong contact, your email will be forwarded to and addressed by the correct person.

I find emailing to be the best way to actually get a direct and thorough response, though at times it does take about 24 hours to get a response.

petrified_eel4615 t1_itwa0fd wrote

UMaine's Chem.Engineering department is very, very good - as far as getting a full tuition and stipend as a grad student, i couldn't say (several of the grad students I knew when I was there had that, but that was early 2000s).

MickeyNico OP t1_itwa8jr wrote

Especially in my culture, emailing is kinda officializing the situtation. i don't wanna keep them busy w my questions that can be answered by local students (maybe). But seems like it's different culture in US so I'm gonna do that.

hike_me t1_itwaitq wrote

UMaine college of engineering is a good engineering school without the big price tag and with less competition for spots. Downside is it doesn’t have the same name recognition outside of Maine. All in all, a very good value I think.

meowmix778 t1_itwaqea wrote

I'd suggest the graduate office. They're likely the best resource. I taught a few adjunct classes at UNE prior to the pandemic and at least with them it was the best way to get information. I'd assume they'd have comparable tools and resources to UNE.

Majestic-Feedback541 t1_itwb3db wrote

I can understand that. But you're also asking about financials too, each student has different needs financially. The business department would probably be the better contact to answer those questions, not other students.

From my own experience, emailing does not officialize anything. They are all there to help students along their way, even if, ultimately you choose another school to attend. The staff that you contact would also know whether or not the school can fit your needs or not.

Either way, good luck!

MickeyNico OP t1_itwb79i wrote

Yes i'm not actually concerned about its recognition as I'm condifent with my abilites regardless of my degree. But I'm more concerned about getting accepted and reciving stipend. Thanks for response btw.

hike_me t1_itwc860 wrote

I believe the chemical engineering program is quite good.

Back when the paper industry was big in Maine, they invested a lot of money in the engineering school at UMaine — specifically to the chemical engineering department. That allowed to to build quite a good reputation.

The college of engineering has some beautiful new facilities thanks to some recent alumni and corporate donors.

mp29k t1_itwcrir wrote

Orono is a great school, and particularly for chemical engineering. Orono is nicely centrally located close to larger towns/cities (Bangor), the coast, elite National Park (Acadia), mountains, lakes, the north Maine woods, and you can travel a couple hours south to get to a proper city (Portland) with lots of concerts and culture. Be mindful, Maine is the “whitest” state in the nation, but I don’t think Central Maine is particularly racist. There is a LARGE Trump contingent here, but that’s not the environment you’ll find generally on Campus.

MickeyNico OP t1_itwdzuk wrote

I'm so strange to racism topics actually and bcs of that I'm afraid of saying smth wrong but I'm also white. (idk if it's only about color or also being local). What about job opportunities ?

Thank you for response btw

mp29k t1_itweirq wrote

What kind of jobs? Long term career jobs? Pretty grim. Good jobs to work as a college student, plentiful. Regarding racism, many young people wouldn’t want to live in an area that’s 97%+ white because of the racism stigma, so I felt compelled to mention it. Generally, people in Maine are pretty friendly in my experience, it takes a little time to get them to open up at times, but once they do, they’re incredibly generous and genuine people. If you like outdoors activities, it’s really hard to beat Maine.

ConfusedCuddlefish t1_itwj966 wrote

The US, and especially grad schools, are very very email based, so don't be afraid to reach out. It may literally be required for acceptance into the school. You should email both the chem engineering advisor and the international student contact person, and their info should be available on the UMaine website.

Make sure to ask them as well if applications are made to the overall program without finding an advisor sponsor first or if you need to find an advisor before you submit your application. It's more and more common to have to find an advisor for grad school that will take you on and have funding (unless you have your own funding), which will mean many more emails. The Gradschool subreddit is pretty US centric and can also help with that process.

The one thing that social media is good for though is finding if there are clubs or groups of students who are also from your country or similar situations. Reaching out to them can help give an idea of common culture shock problems and give a support network for questions that you may not think to ask on your own. Facebook is pretty popular for those groups but there are also international student clubs that you can reach out to. Just search 'UMaine club list' and it should pull them up along with contact info for each one.

bern_trees t1_itwpio4 wrote

Yes very friendly! I was a student at UMO for 5 years. It’s an amazing campus, fun environment. Hockey games are great. A buddy of mine did Chemical Engineering and is now working on his PhD in Nuclear at Alabama. Lots of local restaurants that hire students and Bangor is only a short bud ride away for even more employment options.

Kingofmars17 t1_itwt8jr wrote

Orono was one of my favorite places I've lived. It's a great community where you can feel connected very quick! The ocean and mountains aren't far either if that's your thing

WackMagicWoahman t1_itwuak7 wrote

Had a good time at UMaine, the engineering school has always been considered very good for a state school. You'll be with a bunch of people also moving to Maine at the same time so I'm sure you can find common ground there too.

https://umaine.edu/chb/

There's some contact info for the department at the bottom of the page, although the financials might be better to be asked through the bursurs office or the admissions office.

baconman971 t1_itwurbl wrote

Absolutely loved it there, had some of the best years of my life there. Winters can be brutal though, if you’re not prepared; bring a nice parka and you’ll be alright.

WhiskyIsMyYoga t1_itx2g9e wrote

Used to work with someone with a chemE phd from UMO. Smart guy, good engineering school.

awesomewing t1_itycl5z wrote

If I were you I would also look into UNH (University of New Hampshire). It’s closer to civilizations. Trust me, as an international student myself, being in the middle of nowhere during off school season/ dead of winter is no fun.

JimBones31 t1_itye1pv wrote

Wait, sorry. Did you say you're choosing UMaine because of the Warm Weather?

Edit: I've seen the other responses. I'm originally from a different state and everyone at my college made me feel welcome and at home. We also had at least half a dozen international students that also felt welcome.

CerpinTaxt90 t1_ityzqhp wrote

UMaine is a great school! I live in Orono and the campus is gorgeous. Everyone I know that goes there loves it.

JustAGreenDreamer t1_itz2eq5 wrote

The school and the department are very good, but the fact that you reference the “warm climate” concerns me… for the vast majority of the college school year, the weather in Orono or anywhere in Maine is the opposite of “warm”.

AnxiousWillingness t1_itzh7uq wrote

Hated the 2 years I spent at UMaine. The administration was, the huge classes for 100 level lectures, the food, the whole place sucks. Much preffered USM, not that the administration was better, but the smaller classes and the faculty were better.

WangnanJahad t1_iu02la2 wrote

Though to be fair, the guy is looking at Graduate studies...which is way way WAY way different than undergrad at Orono.

But yea, Orono is and always was a party school. When I went there were at least three parties during the week at various dorms (RAs always turned a blind eye) and several on the weekends.

Sonofromvlvs t1_iu0akrc wrote

Definitely do it, I'm from Arkansas and studying at UMaine because for one it's very open minded and secondly it's cheaper than UT. The engineering program is very good from my understanding.

tracyinge t1_iu0cvfv wrote

"lovely town".

Well, its very small and your life will most likely be centered just around the school and school events/activities.

The surroundings are quite rural, but there are summer job (some with lodging) opportunities available in Bar Harbor.

Sonofromvlvs t1_iu1k2ug wrote

Marine science, was a Poli sci major but I switched it. Gonna transfer to eastern Maine community college for the spring semester and possibly the summer for gen eds so I can get them done a lot cheaper than what I'm paying at UMaine now. then go back to UMaine for the fall. Marine science at UMaine is by far the best in the country.

Baisemoncul t1_iu24d94 wrote

During my career as a UMaine grad, I held my own against graduates from other prestigious engineering universities such as WPI, Rensselaer and Wentworth. The name and degree may not be as prestigious, the quality and depth is definitely there. More than once my colleagues would cock their heads and ask me where did I learn this and I’d counter with; “What … your school didn’t teach you this?” My only complaints about the place is the brutal mid winter weather and predatory parking tickets.