Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

11BMasshole t1_ixyw2ze wrote

Reply to comment by wandrefilled in Winter Vest? by wandrefilled

I don’t even remember the last time I wore my winter coat. I wear a hoodie with a vest. I do have some really nice boots though, no need for extra socks if you have the right boots. Extra socks will just make your feet sweat. Hats are ok if you plan to be outside for extended periods of time. Same with gloves I would say. Look it’s not the artic , but it’ll all depend on what you can tolerate. Don’t go spending 1000’s of dollars on winter gear that’ll just sit around not being used.

−13

monsterscallinghome t1_ixyzqz9 wrote

>it’ll all depend on what you can tolerate

Did you miss where they said that they're coming from a tropical country, and arriving in January? They won't be able to tolerate shit.

Source: have helped more than one new Mainer through acclimatizing to winter from warmer climes.

fridaycat t1_ixz0swh wrote

It also depends where in Maine you are.

Lieutenant_Joe t1_ixz8gds wrote

OP said in a previous post they were thinking Waterville.

Waterville ain’t no Jackman, but it ain’t no York either.

petrified_eel4615 t1_iy12sf7 wrote

The average winter temperature in Massachusetts is 25 F. The average winter temperature in Maine is 9 F. Also OP mentioned moving from the tropics - STFU and go back to Boston.

11BMasshole t1_iy130ve wrote

You know what they say about assumptions!

I stand by everything I said. You people are being ridiculous with the suggestions.

−2

Lieutenant_Joe t1_iy2cbmd wrote

“I stand by my possibly life-threatening advice.”

You’re gonna call that a gross exaggeration, and that’s the problem, dude. You don’t know shit.

11BMasshole t1_iy164tq wrote

BTW Average Temp in Bangor in January is 28. Average Temp in My Mass hometown in January is 33.

Your Average low might be 9, but you and I both know that’s during the dead of night. Stop being hyperbolic, Yes winter sucks but it isn’t the nightmare you are making it out to be.

−3

petrified_eel4615 t1_iy193j0 wrote

I've worked outside in Bangor at -20. There was a span of 3 weeks in 2014 (I think) where it was never above 0.

If OP is used to the coldest it gets being 60, I want them not to suffer needlessly, if they can avoid it.

Lieutenant_Joe t1_iy2cmu7 wrote

“Your average temp in January is four degrees below freezing, while mine is one above! Practically the same climate!”

You apparently don’t understand how averages work, either. You’re hamstringing your own argument.