Submitted by wandrefilled t3_z60qwk in Maine

For Mainers out there, is heat tech, sweater and puffer vest enough for going out during winter? Like roaming around cities in central Maine, getting groceries etc.? Or do I really need a winter jacket or coat? Never experienced snow, and I'll be coming from a tropical country so I have zero clue how cold it gets there. Thanks!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

MakingItUpAsWeGoOk t1_ixysaqp wrote

You will legit need a quality winter coat. If you are coming from a tropical climate I’d advise something with down. For just running in and out of buildings you will probably be okay with the combination you mentioned but there are usually a least a few weeks where the temperature/wind chill poses a real risk to exposed skin after a few minutes. If you are outside roaming cities I would bring a coat. If you are driving any decent distance in the cold you will want the coat in the car at very minimum.

New_Sun6390 t1_ixyw3j8 wrote

Down is great when it's super cold and dry. But it can be TOO warm if you do a lot of walking around and generate your own body heat. Worse, if down gets wet, it is absolutely useless because it clumps up. I spend a lot of time outdoors in winter and I do not own a single down jacket or vest.

Your best bet staying warm in winter is to dress in layers and yes, have a decent winter jacket. There are synthetic substitutes for down that work better, IMHO.

fridaycat t1_ixz0im5 wrote

Second this. Where in Maine? If you are near the coast it isn't any colder then anywhere else in New England, sometimes warmer. I (f66) find my winter coat, which is just a shell with a liner sometimes too warm. What are you doing? If you aren't spending a lot of time outdoors, I doubt you need to bundle up that much. Hat and gloves for sure, and waterproof boots are a must.

wandrefilled OP t1_ixytukz wrote

Thank you so much! I'll list all of that down.

IamSauerKraut t1_ixz4we2 wrote

Dont buy your boots online. Find a place where you can try 'em on to make sure they fit. Pro tip: uggs aint nothing but ugly.

satanshark t1_ixzjoqu wrote

Also, Bean boots are great, but they are not always great winter boots.

squatch__huntress t1_iy16jti wrote

I’ve had a pair of Bean Crestas for going on 20 years and they are INCREDIBLE. Snow, ice, slush, even summer hiking. And they look beautiful broken in 😍

IamSauerKraut t1_ixzl41j wrote

I have one pair of boots from Beans, but they are not those crappy faux leathery things. Tried them on before I went online and bought them at discount.

satanshark t1_ixzlho3 wrote

I have one pair that I went and bought from the store a few years ago. I love them, but they’re not insulated and don’t have the best tread on ice, I find. They’re perfect for fall and the post-winter softening.

NotARobotDefACyborg t1_iy14qdu wrote

Can confirm that Bean lined duck boots are pretty good, but yes, not great winter boots. I found some knock-off Sorels that are both comfortable and warm, and actually lace most of the way around my cankles, LOL.

eljefino t1_iy1e8mc wrote

Thick wool socks help boots in the worst weather, make sure to bring a pair when you try them on.

ecco-domenica t1_ixyspcv wrote

A sweater and puffer vest will be ok in the fall (Sept-Nov) and spring (April, May, sometimes June) months, but you will need a solid warm winter coat, hat, gloves/mittens, boots, & scarf during the coldest months (Dec-March). Also good to have: warm sweaters/fleece, long underwear both tops and bottoms, warm flannel tops to layer under your good winter coat. Buy it all when you get here.

garnfellow t1_ixyzdii wrote

>long underwear

The long underwear is clutch. The good news is that with the right clothes and layering you can be outside in almost anything -- and you will want to be outside just to enjoy the state and avoid cabin fever.

pmperk19 t1_iy0g60q wrote

i wear a union suit all winter long, its so much warmer

ConfusedCuddlefish t1_iy33upi wrote

I finally got some long underwear after a year and a half here and I could not believe the difference it makes. Went out for a long walk in the morning a few days ago when it was 27 degrees and all I noticed was how beautiful sunrise was

wandrefilled OP t1_ixytypr wrote

Thank you! Listing it all down. Will be buying them in January when I get there.

lipsticknic3 t1_ixz0ggf wrote

You'll want to be warm when you arrive esp in January. I moved here from another new England state over a decade ago and you'll need the coat, the hat, the gloves, yeah.

I recommend also getting winter cleats for your boots so you can walk on the ice

https://www.google.com/search?q=winter+cleats+for+boots&oq=winter+cleats&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0i512l2j0i22i30l5.4916j0j1&client=ms-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Eastern-Ad-8403 t1_ixzfygd wrote

Welcome to Maine! Yes! Absolutely this. If you plan on walking anywhere in the winter, get some sort of traction to clip on to your shoes. Ice can really build up on uneven sidewalks, especially if they are brick. I have these. They are a little pricier, but they last awhile. I have had mine for 5+ years. They are easy to get on and off once you break them in a little. https://www.rei.com/product/890608/kahtoola-microspikes-traction-system

Petey60 t1_iy01nz9 wrote

I have these and I recommend them as well. Sometimes I use them just to get from house to car and parking lot at work to inside. Mornings can be slick during ice storm before it warms up.

reddit-toq t1_ixz71uy wrote

Don’t wait till January. Stores will have have bathing suits on sale then. Buy stuff now while stores still have winter stuff on the shelves/in stock.

WalkerBRiley t1_iyd06td wrote

long johns are a must for any winter activity, in my opinion.

Yourbubblestink t1_ixytne2 wrote

The snow is not the issue, it’s the cold. Think ‘dark below zero and whipping wind in February’. You need a winter coat because there will be nights where you feel like you’re going to freeze to death trying to get to your car after work.

wandrefilled OP t1_ixyuhca wrote

Thanks! I legit didn't even factor in the wind all I was thinking about is snow. I'll definitely get one now.

tehmightyengineer t1_iy00la9 wrote

Yeah, the snow is only a problem if you're wading around in it (which isn't often unless you're going out to play in it). The wind and cold is what makes it uncomfortable to go around outside. Scarf, hat, gloves, and winter coat are a must almost immediately. Without them you'll be very uncomfortable for anything more than just a quick jaunt from the parking lot into a store, and in physical danger if your car broke down or got stuck or something and you were in the cold for an extended period of time.

The biggest thing is keeping cold wind off of exposed skin. Scarf and hat the covers your face and ears, gloves, a jacket that insulates, and thicker pants that block wind (or especially long underwear). This is what keeps you warm.

The biggest thing you'll learn is how to dress in layers. You need to be able to add or remove layers depending on what you're doing and the weather. Fully bundled up and shoveling some snow with no wind and the sun and you'll quickly overheat (I've sometimes shoveled snow in boots, jeans, and a long-sleeve shirt) but add no sun, wind, and blowing snow and I'll be out there looking like I came from the arctic.

Overall it's an easy skill to learn; just make sure you have some of the basics and you'll quickly adjust.

lewknukem t1_iy1uf7f wrote

And be ready for the dark. If you are coming from a warm tropical location, your days and nights are pretty even. But right now, sunset is at 4:05 PM ET and sunrise is at 6:53 AM ET. So it's not just cold, it's going to be dark and cold during much of the winter.

hunterofhunters7 t1_ixytqmy wrote

You will absolutely need a coat. I have lived in Maine my whole life. I am very used to the cold, and I would never consider going the winter without a very warm coat.

If you're not acclimated to cold weather, you will likely still be cold with a coat on. Make sure you buy one that is big enough for you to wear warm layers underneath.

wandrefilled OP t1_ixyuups wrote

Thank you! Now I'm a bit terrified. Will definitely layer up and plan ahead. And thanks for suggesting a bigger coat for the layers. Didn't really think about that before.

hunterofhunters7 t1_ixyvnu5 wrote

Don't worry about it too much. It's important to understand that the cold can be dangerous, but as long as you are prepared you'll be just fine.

In addition to a coat you should be sure to have a warm hat, thick socks (Marino wool is a great option), and warm gloves or mittens. You could also get some disposable hand warmers, the kind you crush to heat up.I also tend to wear a pair of leggings under my pants if I know I'll be outside for more than a couple minutes at a time in the cold.

Just walking around a city in the cold your biggest worry is probably going to be comfort. Cities often have a wind tunnel effect through tall buildings that can make certain spots very cold.

The danger with cold is should you ever be stranded out in it with nowhere to go to warm up. The most likely instance of this is your car breaking down and night and needing to wait for help. Just be sure you always have more warm clothing than you think you need stored in your car.

IamSauerKraut t1_ixz5ejz wrote

Wool is not for everyone, especially folks who've never worn it. For some folks, itches like crazy.

badhmorrigan t1_ixzbgqo wrote

Merino wool is generally non-itchy even for people who are itchy from wool.

JuliaNATFrolic t1_iy1rigl wrote

You are lucky. All wool itches me a ton. It makes me very sad.

badhmorrigan t1_iy1vo2m wrote

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I could wear Merino. I don't push my luck, I only wear it in socks.

lantech t1_ixz9sov wrote

Yep, fuck wool. Wool socks are absolute torture.

andi-pandi t1_iy2mrvc wrote

Also in the car in addition to snow brush/scraper: blanket, shovel, nonclumping kitty litter, water, snacks

RevolutioNikita t1_iy2ob6o wrote

Just letting them wonder what the kitty litter is for, huh? 😂

andi-pandi t1_iy3ezxz wrote

Maine’s herds of Stray cats? Or extra traction on ice… either way.

Bennilumplump t1_ixyzhjj wrote

Turtlenecks, whether they are a base layer or a heavier sweater, are a game changer when layering for the cold. Buy several.

anybody98765 t1_ixysqvr wrote

You definitely need a winter coat. One with a hood is my recommendation. Get good gloves and a knit hat too. The vest is fine for temps above 50.

wandrefilled OP t1_ixyu4px wrote

Thanks for specifying a temperature where I could just use a vest! Will list that down for future reference.

satanshark t1_ixzl1qb wrote

It’s also going to take you a while to acclimate and understand how it all works. Layering is really the key. I haven’t seen anyone mention a scarf, but I find keeping my neck cozy goes a long way toward overall warmth. It’s also a good windblock, because the cold, damp wind will go everywhere — down your jacket, up your jacket, up your sleeves or pantlegs.

There’s a moment when you step outside and your whole body braces against the cold. I’ve lived here most of my life and still haven’t found a way to stop it.

petrified_eel4615 t1_ixythse wrote

Going to add to everyone's suggestions - spend the extra for a good pair of boots. You'll want ones that are waterproof, insulated, and 1 size larger than normal, to fit an extra pair of socks. Keeping your feet warm and dry will make you much happier.

Also a good hat - I prefer a knit wool watch cap, because it stays warm even if wet. But a coat with a hood is a good idea as well.

Number one thing to remember though - stay dry, and layer up. If you sweat, as soon as you start cooling down you will be very, very cold if you can't get the sweat away from your body.

If you have questions, let me know - I work outside year round.

wandrefilled OP t1_ixyub9h wrote

Thanks so much! I didn't even think about the boots and cap. Will list those down and find the exact material for the cap.

Lieutenant_Joe t1_ixywqst wrote

Don’t pay attention to the Masshole. You’re from the tropics, and taking them seriously could actually be dangerous for you. You won’t need to pay thousands of dollars, but you definitely will need to spend a few hundred.

Also, Massachusetts and Maine winters are two very different things.

badhmorrigan t1_ixzb6go wrote

Wool boot socks can be fantastic. Merino wool is really soft and warm. Wool can help keep your feet warm even when wet.

Sugarloafer1991 t1_ixz3ozt wrote

Muck boots are great if you have to go out in the snow. If you’re not shoveling, hiking in snow, or other stuff a pair of leather boots will be fine!

IamSauerKraut t1_ixz54eu wrote

Were you thinking flippy floopies were the only thing you needed?

−2

11BMasshole t1_ixyw2ze wrote

I don’t even remember the last time I wore my winter coat. I wear a hoodie with a vest. I do have some really nice boots though, no need for extra socks if you have the right boots. Extra socks will just make your feet sweat. Hats are ok if you plan to be outside for extended periods of time. Same with gloves I would say. Look it’s not the artic , but it’ll all depend on what you can tolerate. Don’t go spending 1000’s of dollars on winter gear that’ll just sit around not being used.

−13

monsterscallinghome t1_ixyzqz9 wrote

>it’ll all depend on what you can tolerate

Did you miss where they said that they're coming from a tropical country, and arriving in January? They won't be able to tolerate shit.

Source: have helped more than one new Mainer through acclimatizing to winter from warmer climes.

fridaycat t1_ixz0swh wrote

It also depends where in Maine you are.

Lieutenant_Joe t1_ixz8gds wrote

OP said in a previous post they were thinking Waterville.

Waterville ain’t no Jackman, but it ain’t no York either.

petrified_eel4615 t1_iy12sf7 wrote

The average winter temperature in Massachusetts is 25 F. The average winter temperature in Maine is 9 F. Also OP mentioned moving from the tropics - STFU and go back to Boston.

11BMasshole t1_iy130ve wrote

You know what they say about assumptions!

I stand by everything I said. You people are being ridiculous with the suggestions.

−2

Lieutenant_Joe t1_iy2cbmd wrote

“I stand by my possibly life-threatening advice.”

You’re gonna call that a gross exaggeration, and that’s the problem, dude. You don’t know shit.

11BMasshole t1_iy164tq wrote

BTW Average Temp in Bangor in January is 28. Average Temp in My Mass hometown in January is 33.

Your Average low might be 9, but you and I both know that’s during the dead of night. Stop being hyperbolic, Yes winter sucks but it isn’t the nightmare you are making it out to be.

−3

petrified_eel4615 t1_iy193j0 wrote

I've worked outside in Bangor at -20. There was a span of 3 weeks in 2014 (I think) where it was never above 0.

If OP is used to the coldest it gets being 60, I want them not to suffer needlessly, if they can avoid it.

Lieutenant_Joe t1_iy2cmu7 wrote

“Your average temp in January is four degrees below freezing, while mine is one above! Practically the same climate!”

You apparently don’t understand how averages work, either. You’re hamstringing your own argument.

MaryBitchards t1_ixyzjn6 wrote

If you're going to have a car, you'll also need a brush, scraper, and shovel.

badhmorrigan t1_ixzbnpc wrote

And brush off the hood and roof of your car, not just the windshield. Don't forget the lights too.

monsterscallinghome t1_ixz1h9t wrote

You will need a coat. Down, wool, or synthetic just make sure it's big enough to fit over a few layers. A good basic winter kit list would be:

• Winter coat, choose warmth over looks. Everyone looks like a fool here in January, but we don't freeze to death.
  • waterproof boots, 1 size too big for extra socks
  • 6-7 pairs of wool socks. Smartwool, Darn Tough, and LL Bean are good brands. You want the highest wool content you can find, as wool will continue to keep you warm even if it gets wet. Cotton and synthetics will not.
  • Wool or high-end synthetic long underwear, at least 2 sets of bottoms. The LL Bean wool bottoms are pricey, but worth it. I have 2 pair that I've been rotating through for nearly 10 years and they're just now needing some minor mending.
  • A few decent wool sweaters. Get one or two before you come, then haunt the thrift stores local to where you're staying and pick up a few more.
  • Good warm slippers for being inside. If your feet are cold, the rest of you is cold too, and floors get cold in the winter here.
  • A warm hat. Basic wool watch cap is a good, affordable choice, just make sure it covers your ears. It's not a fashion accessory, it's to keep your ears from literally freezing off.
  • Sunglasses. Snow gets really bright in the sun, as bad or worse than tropical sun reflecting off the water.
  • Good gloves, two pair: one thin, lightweight wool with the touchpad-compatible thread on the fingertips so you can use your phone without taking off your gloves. Then a thick, waterproof pair of gloves or mittens (mittens are much warmer, but you sacrifice dexterity) to go over the thin ones. You'll need the big ones for walking, scraping ice off your car, shoveling, etc, but you'll enjoy the thin ones underneath when you have to actually use your hands.
  • if you have or will have a car, get a good wool blanket or decent sleeping bag to keep in it, along with a bright red handkercheif, a box of protein bars and a big bottle of water. If you get stranded in the snow or run your car into a ditch, tie the red cloth to your antenna or somewhere it will be very visible to passing cars, and climb into the sleeping bag to wait.

Prestigious-Echo-240 t1_iy1o3js wrote

Just want to throw out there that you shouldn’t leave the water in the car…it will freeze

Lieutenant_Joe t1_ixyveub wrote

If you have to ask, you need a coat. A nice one. You might see others wearing sweaters around you, but if you don’t know how you’ll handle winter, then there’s almost no way your body will be conditioned enough to the cold to handle it in just a sweater and gloves. I have a friend from Hawaii who recently moved to Pennsylvania, and she is not handling this pre-winter cold well at all. Like she’s wearing a sweater and still chilly and fatigued sometimes in her heated house.

Also, the sweater people (I am one of them) often have to switch to a proper coat if it’s sufficiently cold or snowy enough. If the sun isn’t blazing in your face in February, it’s probably time to grab the big one. I go winter hiking, and if you’re going above 2000 ft of elevation, you’re going with at least three layers.

The good news is that our summers will probably just feel normal to you. I went to the Philippines in the summer once, and I came back home during a heat wave. It was actually a little bit hotter up here than it was there.

kittehs4eva t1_ixz7d67 wrote

Oh lawdy my sweet summah child! Do not rely on battery power anything to keep you warm in the depths of a Maine winter. Get yourself a good winter coat, hats, mittens or gloves, good waterproof BOOTS!!!, and a base layer to wear under your pants ...at least. People mention layers. So that means your coat on top, and a fleece light jacket or hoodie or sweater under that, and a turtleneck or base layer shirt under that. You'll want a base layer under your pants, especially if your going to wear jeans because the wind will blow right through the fabric. Oh and socks. Buy some Darn Tough or Smartwool socks. Good quality wool socks will keep your feet in good shape even if they get wet or sweaty. Cotton socks will feel gross once they get damp. If you can't afford a pair of $20 socks, then always bring a spare set with you. You will be glad after you step into your first slush puddle on your way to work.

bellairecourt t1_ixzf22n wrote

If your stay in Maine is expected to be temporary, perhaps shop for some second hand winter clothing. You do get what you pay for with outerwear, imo. Cheap winter jackets from discount stores are not very warm. Check Facebook marketplace, thrift stores, community clothing closet. I would buy underlayers (suggest Under Armor- the skin tight, worn under clothes long johns) gloves, hats, socks, all those items new. Not sure what your long term plan is, but I would not want to spend hundreds of dollars on clothes that I might only need for a short time.

wandrefilled OP t1_iy14lph wrote

Hi thanks for the response. My stay is somewhat permanent, so I'll keep what you said in mind. :)

PatsFreak101 t1_ixyyg12 wrote

Unless you’ve got remote start and 10 minutes every time you go somewhere you’ll be thankful for the warm coat and gloves in mid January when it’s cold as hell and the car doesn’t warm up right away.

Zestyclose_Media_548 t1_ixz28mk wrote

You should always have a few blankets in your vehicle between November to March and even October to April to be really safe.

Breadfan207 t1_ixywj06 wrote

Sweatshirt is fine unless you’re spending a lot of time outside

eigenstien t1_ixyzhtn wrote

You must wear shorts all year round too. Normal people wear pants, coats, sweaters, boots and layer up. Welcome to Maine!

IamSauerKraut t1_ixz6yny wrote

Shorts with flip flops. While shoveling all the snow that never comes any more.

mirage74 t1_ixyyezf wrote

LL Bean has lots of options and tell you what temperature things are rated for. Buy something that is at least good for 10-20 degrees. It should have a waterproof outer layer and a hood. You may want to size up to wear over layers.

Huckleberry-Powerful t1_ixz2a49 wrote

Just get all of the layers. To survive winter, you will need a winter hobby, and that requires outdoor clothing. I typically wear up to 5 layers on the coldest of days, one of which is a vest! Also, fleece lined pants are super clutch if snow pants feel too bulky for walking around town or whatever.

ResurgentOcelot t1_ixyx5wr wrote

One factor of a coat that I haven’t seen mentioned:

You can layer up to beat the cold, but a single warm coat means you can dress for the indoors underneath.

One of the struggles with being dressed for the cold is getting to your toasty warm destination, now you’re overdressed.

If you can just take off the coat to be dressed comfortably, that really helps.

Lemonchicken207 t1_ixzqvdg wrote

I agree with this! You definitely do not need the long underwear if you're just going indoors immediately!

baxterstate t1_ixz38m9 wrote

As a lifetime resident of the northeast, I would advise thermal underwear instead of a sweater. I find a long coat to be to physically restrictive, and a short coat wont protect your legs.

Get a hankerchief or soft napkins in your outside pockets. Your nose runs more in the cold and you don't want that crap freezing on your face. You'll be blowing your nose a lot.

Those aviator headgear with the rabbit fur linings are great, even if you look goofy when you bring the flaps down.

Get good warm socks and foot wear. Your feet will get numb before your body does.

Buy those chemical warmers in plastic paks. they work.

CrouchingGinger t1_ixzbev2 wrote

Layering is key. That way too when it gets too warm you can take some off and in the cold layers trap heat. I had a Columbia jacket that had a liner you could take out on milder days.

tobascodagama t1_iy1h566 wrote

You've gotta layer. The general rule is that you have a wind/waterproof outer layer, a moisture-wicking inner layer, and then mid-layers that trap heat. Don't forget a warm hat, gloves, and socks. I have to emphasise this because it's easy for someone coming from warm weather (I moved to New England from Hawaii, myself) to think you just need to toss a big coat on top of your fall outfit, but that won't be enough for the really cold days and you'll overheat on the slightly-less-cold days.

If you're just going from your car to the grocery store and the weather is clear, not too far below zero, and not very windy, you can probably get away with like a long underwear/undershirt, heavyweight pants/flannel shirt, and a lined vest. Depending on the style of collar your vest has, add a scarf. But I always take an actually good coat in the car even when I don't plan on needing it. Lots of reasons you might have to get out of the car for a while.

If you're actually walking to and from places, you need a good coat on top of the basics. Cold is cumulative, an outfit that's good for fifteen minutes is not gonna be good for an hour. And then there will be weather where even the short walk between the store and the parking lot requires proper bundling, like when the wind whips up or there's any kind of precipitation.

EDIT: I also want to mention that I never had issues with SAD, but some people do. You can get special lamps or light bulbs (not the same as the "daylight balanced" ones) that are designed emit more UV to stimulate the hormones that some people have shortage of during the dark months. They're more expensive, but the folks I've known who experiece SAD swear by them.

KYazut t1_iy1vj6c wrote

1. Don’t wear cotton. You’ll freeze (potentially to death and I mean that literally) when you sweat.

2. Layer. You’ll be in wildly different temps as the day progreses, and depending on where you’ll be going, sometimes with no access to additional heating sources . You can always take clothes off if you need to.

Baselayer: Wool, silk or wicking synthetic blend fit snug to skin. Again, no cotton.

From here on out, if I say “Wool”, assume any synthetic fabric designed for cold weather can be substituted (if you’re allergic to wool, for example). Just make sure it’s a wicking fabric with good insulation properties.

Midlayer: Down-based jacket. Ridiculous how much more cold down protects you from.

Outerlayer: Waterproof exterior shell or shell+more insulation, depending on activity level. You don’t want to get wet.

1. Good gloves. You like having fingers. Keep an eye on what temp the gloves are rated to and use accordingly. Don’t wear gloves rated for 15 degrees in zero degree weather. You might want a cold set and a DEAR GOD THIS CAN’T BE A REAL TEMPERATURE set.

2. Good wool socks. You like having toes.

3. Thickly knit wool hat (or a thinsulate-esque hate), preferably one that can cover your ears in a pinch.

4. Good Boots for normal walking around (preferable waterproof) days and then frozen wasteland boots (insulated down to at least -15, waterproof, and at least calf length). If you’re going to be working outside or playing outside for long periods, get boots rated to lower degrees. When you see the price tag for these remember, you really like having toes.

5. Balaclava/ski mask for if you have to go out in weather (usually windy and/or sub zero weather) where the windchill can give you frost bite. Your heat loses heat SUPER fast, and ears and face can go frostbite fast.

6. Do not rely on “heat tech”. You want it for a cozification boost, fine. But if it comes down to needing a battery to survive, that battery will fail you at the most inopportune time, guaranteed. Better to learn to survive without it, imho.

All of the above said, it’s really not been that bad the last couple years. I’m from the south and mostly the above advice has gotten me through.

Remember, no cotton.

Bywater t1_ixyyvx8 wrote

Just dress in layers. Good warm base layer, a good sweater or sweatshirt on top of it, something on top of that to break the wind and provide another layer and a vest and you should be fine. I am outdoors playing all winter in that get up and do fine. Don't skimp on your hat however, a good hat, boots with insulating socks and decent gloves/mittens make all the difference. It's the cold you have to worry about more than the snow, if anything when it is snowing it will often warm up.

I wouldn't drop fat stacks on good down winter coat unless you get here and really feel a need to, and if you do get to that point hit goodwill. You can for sure find something there on the cheap to get you through your visit. Particularly as with the weather as wonky as it is January could be pretty warm again.

bennydasjet t1_ixyzxd9 wrote

Down coat aside, wool socks, thermal underwear, good gloves, and face protection are all pretty vital if you’re going to be spending any time walking around January thru March.

ChelseaFan1967 t1_ixz58kr wrote

Don’t forget to buy some good base layers to wear underneath your jeans and tops.

dreamsthebigdreams t1_ixz5si9 wrote

You need a real coat. And still will want that vest underneath... Especially on raw, cold, rainy days.

lucidlilacdream t1_ixywgfs wrote

I mean, if winter is going to continue to be 45-50 degrees, who knows!

But, seriously, try Eddie Bauer. They tend to have a lot of good deals on down jackets. I have a long coat from them and it’s the best.

Background_Coyote230 t1_ixyxrk2 wrote

We mostly drive everywhere, so you don’t have to get tactical gear, unless you plan outdoorsy activities. If so, invest in the proper stuff, it makes all the difference. You will need a coat, I get an ultralight down jacket from Uniqlo once every few years. They’re not the best quality, so last like 3 seasons only, but the price is great. And I wear a million layers. Base layers, good hats/scarves/mittens are key. Balaclavas are BACK, so says fashion, so there’s that.

TheBiggestTurtleWave t1_ixz3z1g wrote

Here are my recommendations:

https://www.carhartt.com/product/104277/loose-fit-washed-duck-sherpa-lined-mock-neck-vest

https://www.carhartt.com/product/103828/relaxed-fit-duck-blanket-lined-detroit-jacket---1-warm-rating

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/125663?page=mens-beans-windproof-softshell-mens-tall

And then a few flannels for than can go under your vest and can also be warn when it’s cold but not enough to need a jacket.

And the key is to layer. It will quite literally go from 30 degrees at night to 60 or 70 degrees in the spring and fall.

So like, a t-shirt, a sweatshirt, and then a jacket.

colinhd27 t1_ixz4a0u wrote

Layer, layer, layer! Can't express this enough. You might wake up to below 0, might go up to 45-50 at noon and cool back down. Also it could snow, then rain, then freeze so definitely invest in a good pair of water proof, winter boots. Or at least water proof boots (good all year round) and a few pairs or thick wool socks.

dancingkittensupreme t1_ixz682i wrote

Layers. A good base layer and warm button ups and a thick sweater will fill out your base-mid layers. Then you'll need a vest and maybe a soft shell (patagonia nano tech or whatever tf it's called this year) and a hard shell for windy and wet conditions. If you get hot you can remove layers

MadKat_94 t1_ixza8gl wrote

Agree with most everything said so far, but want to add, your inner layer is key on the really cold days. Thermals and socks should not be cotton. Cotton will hold in any moisture in the fibers and if you go from warm out to cold or active to less active outside you will chill quickly. Wool or a synthetic fiber with wicking properties work best. Good hat is essential as well.

There are also some ‘system jackets’ that I use. Inner is usually a fleece, This zips into an outer shell, usually more weatherproof and hooded. So you basically get three levels. A fleece for cool days, A light jacket good for wind and rain, and both together for harsh days.

Redleaves1313 t1_ixzoo5u wrote

Modern heavy duty Columbia jackets are incredible at keeping you warm but not too warm. Make sure to get one the tightens down and with a hood. Unzippable lining. Nice gloves and hat. I don’t think you need long underwear unless you are going to be out at night for hours outside. But maybe I’m a polar bear.

Lemonchicken207 t1_ixzq6hw wrote

You do need a winter coat for sure, but definitely a variety of coats/vests. A vest would be fine for quickly going from the car/to the store. If you run warm, a floor-length down jacket on a 55 degree day will be torture. I see people wearing very heavy down jackets and scarves/hats/mittens when it's 55 and all I can think is how much they must smell lol. I recommend a couple of winter coats in different degrees of warmth. I wear a fleece jacket most of the time (with a hat and gloves) and it does fine for most weather. Again, I am not doing winter camping/outdoor sports and I don't wear it when it's 20 degrees. If you are a very outdoorsy person you will need much different gear.

Lemonchicken207 t1_ixzr3ck wrote

I also run really warm and the idea of wearing long underwear and wool sweaters make me immediately feel itchy and hot and claustrophobic, so take my advice with a grain of salt lol.

katahdindave t1_iy0d36c wrote

Key to warmth is "dry" dead air between you and outdoors. More is warmer. Your body heats up inner layers. As long as you don't allow wind to blow heated air layer away, you will feel warm in most any temp.

Rest is details....

A wind proof Winter coat is needed. Hooded is better. You will still need snug fitting hat for your ears too. Especially if your blood is thin from tropical area. I like synthetic insulation like Thinsulate. Windproof polarfleece feels warm also. You can tell if fabric is windproof by holding up to your mouth and blowing through it. If you feel airflow on other side, then not windproof.

Mittens are warmer than gloves, if all other variables are equal. Try them on. Don't buy gloves online.

If you don't want to but new, check out thrift stores. Lots of llbean stuff in Maine.

Layers of clothing is important. Especially layer against skin. Don't wear cotton. Really.

Managing moisture is needed, especially if you are exerting yourself. Pit zips are great. Zipper front is good. I avoid pullover stuff like anoraks and sweaters. Vest layer is great way to manage moisture and keep core warm.

Smart wool socks over polypropylene liners are good. Avoid tight fitting boots or gloves. You need blood circulation to keep appendages warm.

Sorry if overly explainy. I lived in southwest and was surprised how many folks didn't understand the basics that I grew up learning in the east.

Enjoy Maine winter activities. THE WAY LIFE SHOULD BE. It says so on the sign!

P.s. drink water even if you are not thirsty when exerting yourself outside. Winter air is dry. You lungs are an increadibly efficient evaporator. You can dehydrate quickly. End of psa.

k_mainer t1_iy0d58i wrote

If you drive anywhere, no matter what you wear, make sure you have footwear, hat, jacket, gloves/mittens. You never know. In my previous life as a driver of long distances, I had an emergency box in my trunk. Trapped in your car until rescue arrives? What do you need?

Proud-Narwhal5900 t1_iy0f8cq wrote

Definitely get a good coat! However, having a fleece or down vest too is handy and comfortable on car driving days. Used clothing places often have great vests. Canadians make the best boots and don’t be afraid to rock some earmuffs (invented in Maine)!

Cutlasss t1_iy0lpoj wrote

Everyone has to learn what works for them. You'll see people wearing shorts while shoveling snow, and the person next to them looks so bundled up you wonder how they can move.

bitchazel t1_iy0pocn wrote

I live in California and just spent a week in Maine where my husband is from. Let me tell you, it was not even close to the height of winter and we were cold. We would run out to the car or in a shop in just maybe a sweater but if we were outside for any length of time it would get to me (and the kids) after just a few minutes. I was advised to do lots of layers rather than a SUPER heavy coat and that was perfect, but it required an intentional base layer meant to hold in warmth. I’m not an expert on cold like natives would be, but I am an expert at spending time in cold places as a person who lives in a warm place. Regardless of how you layer, you’re going to want a nice coat of some sort, nice warm boots, and some gloves. Our cold hands were the only part that really felt uncomfortable (and that was with gloves, just not good ones.)

I will also add that the clothes you purchase there (in Maine) were much warmer and thicker than what we could easily buy here at home. We did do LL Bean because our family is in Freeport, but even at Old Navy and such, the fabric was heavier overall, so you can certainly add to your wardrobe once you get there.

SeaBear393 t1_iy13ors wrote

There’s a lot of great advice here. One thing I want to add, don’t dress for what’s adequate- dress for comfort and for extremes. You never know when you’re going to get stuck in your car or when the heat in your house is going to go out. I keep a blanket in my car during the winter and always have a spare pair of gloves and a hat. Cold kills! Plan for the worst ;)

dahliarose926 t1_iy155zo wrote

I've lived in Maine since 2010, all I use is a for a winter coat is an insulated hoodie

MrFittsworth t1_iy17lpo wrote

Parka. A vest is suitable for indoors most places in the throes of winter at best

Stickyfynger t1_iy1i85p wrote

Wool hat, wool socks, weatherproof boots and gloves will ensure your comfortable at our coldest

dperiod t1_iy1nf73 wrote

I have used a rugged ridge parka from LLBean for the past 12 years and just bought a second updated version this year. It is perfect for the really cold windy days that happen in the deep of the winter months. Wind chill is going to be what you need protection from, and this parka does a good job keeping the wind at bay. Otherwise, vests are good at 50° or so, and a light down jacket will take you between 50° and 25°, chillier if you layer a shirt and sweater or hoodie beneath. Give yourself plenty of time to acclimate to the temp differences. Your body is used to warmer temps, so warmer temps to Mainers will be much different than warmer temps to you, believe me. Dress as you need to for your comfort.

-Hedonism_Bot- t1_iy1soq6 wrote

If I break out anything more than a hoodie, you know it's cold. I might pull out a rain jacket on if we're getting freezing rain. And I dont bother with gloves when I get out of my plow truck to shovel.

But I was born and raised here, and I've worked outside since is was 14. You, coming from a tropical climate are gonna be cold in July. Good jacket, warm gloves and something waterproof on your feet are gonna be essential for you.

HughDanforth t1_iy1vqj2 wrote

You need two coats coming from the tropics.

Practice splitting wood too - you are going to want a lot of that. I moved from teh equator and it was freezing for years, till I got acclimated..

Dear-Addendum925 t1_iy20vwt wrote

Get a good, warm coat. I'm originally from MA and haven't had a winter up here yet, but even down there it is blistering cold sometimes. Just the wind is enough to chap your skin

Weary_Bowler9503 t1_iy34myy wrote

I like a nice neck warmer / gaiter. They are great on very cold days, especially if it's windy. You can wear it around your neck and pull it over your mouth and nose if it gets too cold. And it makes it easier to breathe when the wind picks up.

Maineguy58 t1_iy35gne wrote

That works for November maybe early December. Jan and February you need a big boy coat.

International-Pen940 t1_iy38yos wrote

Get at least two pairs of gloves and two hats. You will probably get these things wet sometimes (even with water-resistant items) so a backup is important. Each fall I would check these and get new ones if needed. When you are clearing snow gloves often take a beating.

IcyLetter5200 t1_iy3v4z6 wrote

There is a local retail Renys they have great boots for 0%weather. You can search there web to see what they have but I agree with the comment above it is a must to try on. Also something for mud season

ecco-domenica t1_iy895zc wrote

I had to look up heat tech, then realized I've seen visitors from away wearing it in the spring and fall. It looks quite fancy, but I've never seen it on anyone in Maine in the winter. I don't get out much though, I guess. Is this something stylish people in Portland wear?

Morlain7285 t1_iy9c53q wrote

Having lived in Maine most of my life, I think everyone's exaggerating a bit. I get on fine with just a light padded jacket in the winter, as long as I'm wearing long sleeves underneath. Just make sure you've got good snow boots, a hat that covers your ears, and a scarf and you should be fine

DidDunMegasploded t1_ixz99b8 wrote

Depends on where you live.

For coastal living, you're gonna need a good winter coat. It can get pretty damn cold here and if you are as thin as a twig then you will get cold easily. Just don't buy it from Burlington...I got a coat for a good amount of money there and the zipper broke in the same season. Was not happy lol.

meowtacoduck t1_ixzgzdu wrote

I've experienced negative 26 degrees celcius before and holy hell it's a COLD hell in Maine. Beautiful but frigid. Heat tech alone won't save you. You'll need a down puffer coat that's long as a shell layer and at least a few other layers underneath

KeiserX13 t1_ixziqpx wrote

Just a sweatshirt is good enough for me

MaineBoston t1_ixzv1q9 wrote

I am in central Maine and I need a down coat.

imunoriginalofcourse t1_ixzw1ol wrote

The heat tech stuff is great this time of the year or early spring. But you will need an actual winter coat. February routinely gets -20+ with wind chill

Petey60 t1_iy02w49 wrote

Wind will go right through a sweater. Don’t underestimate the warmth of fleece, great for layering with a wind breaking shell when you’re walking around shopping, etc. it is going to take a while for your body to acclimate to cold, it won’t happen in one season.

No matter what, make sure you have a warm blanket, gloves, socks and hat in car in case you get stuck somewhere.

Renegade0848 t1_iy09ngr wrote

I have a coat for snowmobiling and snlowblowing. Beyond outdoor activities I hate the coat more than I hate the cold.

IamSauerKraut t1_ixz4m9h wrote

"heat tech"??

wtf?

Yer in Maine, not Floriduh. Get some johnnies, a good turtle, a non-shitty sweater and a leather coat. Dont forget the hat.

−1

imnotyourbrahh t1_iy1brmq wrote

Mods should ban this type of crap post.

−2