Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Guygan t1_iwrxtib wrote

I have a QuadraFire Castile. Very nice traditional styling.

It has a remote programmable thermostat which is great. Set and forget. It also has a battery backup so it can run off a 12v car or boat battery during outages. Great feature.

I’ve had it for 8 years, and it works flawlessly. Makes less than 5 gallons of ash for every ton of pellets burned. When it’s hot and burning, there’s no visible smoke from the chimney and no smoke odor at all. Kind of amazing really.

Revan995 OP t1_iwryx4i wrote

We saw those when looking online and thought they looked good. Great to get someone's first-hand account though. Thanks!

fredezz t1_iwtikmr wrote

How long does a Quadra-Fire pellet stove last? When burned in a high efficiency pellet stove, a 40-lb bag of pellets can provide about 24 hours of steady heat for 1500 square feet of living space.

Is this Google answer true or false? @ 6-7$ per bag x 1 month = less than 300$ a month...not bad at all!

Guygan t1_iwu4bc9 wrote

> a 40-lb bag of pellets can provide about 24 hours of steady heat for 1500 square feet of living space.

That’s a very arbitrary calculation. It depends on how cold it is outside, where you set the thermostat, how well your house is insulated, etc.

DifferenceMore5431 t1_iwuhz93 wrote

I think you'd have trouble staying comfortable using only 1 bag per 24 hours in the middle of winter in Maine. But it depends a LOT on the insulation of the house and personal preference. (Also most houses are bigger than 1500 sf.)

fredezz t1_iwv4zta wrote

I agree. A friend of mine alternates between using his pellet stove for primary and secondary heat...he also uses three fans to help circulate the heat throughout his home.