Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Psychological-Bear-9 t1_ixbeduw wrote

Growing up in Maine in the 90s was like growing up in the rest of the country in the 40s and 50s. Millennials are now having kids, and the culture is changing, but it's still very frequent. Isolated, generally uneducated, and a lot of people being poor and miserable and just pumping out kids to get a check. This doesn't surprise me in the least.

Some of the shit I saw growing up in Maine and even out and about in public nowadays with knuckle draggers and their kids was/is jaw-dropping. Especially in the weirder backwoods places where incest/ sexual abuse of children is very common even though most people keep it Maine's dirty little secret. Wouldn't want to scare the tourists away.

AdmiralWackbar t1_ixclqwi wrote

I mean i grew up in Maine in the 90s it was just normal middle class America for me. It’s not like that’s the situation for everyone, it is sad though

goodbyekitty83 t1_ixc34yx wrote

What do you mean gen Y are just now having kids? We've been having kids since 20 years ago

mlo9109 t1_ixcf2x2 wrote

Now it's Gen. Z having kids here. My niece is 24 and has a 1 year old and she's considered to have had kids "later" in life when compared to her peers/our other family members except my sad, single 30 something self.

ralphy1010 t1_ixctuks wrote

good grief, why the rush? only thing worse than running out and buying a new truck after HS is having a baby right off the bat. I could just never understand why people encouraged it, it's like they wanted them to be stuck in that small town and not be able to move away

mlo9109 t1_ixcuwpr wrote

Jesus (things are pretty Jesus-y up north) and peer/family pressure are pretty strong motivators (or demotivators to do anything else, really)

I'm the only one of my high school graduating class of 36 who "escaped" the north and the only one without kids. Coincidence? I think not.

ralphy1010 t1_ixdlepl wrote

my hs was similar in that sense along the coast, 96 graduating seniors, it served like 10 towns. prob a third never did any school beyond HS and a good number of those who did go away for school came back. I don't recall there being much of a bible thumping scene in those days but there was a very pervasive mind set that could be seen as demotivating for anyone who might have thought differently or dreamed of a world beyond that rural collection of towns on the coast.

Psychological-Bear-9 t1_ixcq055 wrote

Sometimes, I forget millennials encompass as far back as 1980. Not the best with time. Shoot me 🤷‍♂️. Also, younger millenials are just now having kids as they enter their 30's and very late 20's. So, the statement is still technically correct. But that's not really the point of the thread, is it?

goodbyekitty83 t1_ixcxtq3 wrote

And we definitely need to stop referring to ourselves as millennials, that was a word made up to be used as a swear word to call us lazy and other types of shit. We are Gin y, not millennials so we need to drop that shit right now

Psychological-Bear-9 t1_ixcyugq wrote

I mean... chicken or the egg. I heard the term millennial used as just a generational label before it was ever used in a derogatory sense. I like Millennial, it's indicative of coming of age during... the millennium. Gen Y is bland and boring. Boomers get shit on, too, but they're still baby boomers. 😂 So I disagree. It's wild, though, how you found an issue with everything in the post except. The main topic, which was literal child abuse.

goodbyekitty83 t1_ixd5ph7 wrote

It's just doesn't make sense to go from Gen X July Gen z and then why being used as men millennial again

207Simone t1_ixgw1ia wrote

Oh have I got a story for you. Was at my local food pantry a week or so ago waiting outside in line. It was cold that morning. Was chatting it up w/2 other moms (age wise prob late 20s early 30s) cause I had a question about baby gear they had. While they were waiting for their number to be called, they took their infants who were in their car seats, put them back in their SUV then came back in line to wait. NOBODY was in the SUV w/the babies they literally just put these 2 babies in their respective seats walked away got back in line & kept chatting like nothing happened. I’m not that “old” (36) but i was shocked to see this. Might be how I was raised by 2 old school parents from Boston, IDK.i just shook my head in disbelief & continued to mind my business

Psychological-Bear-9 t1_ixhpqkq wrote

Oh, it's awful, the amount of people I've seen straight up wack their kids on the back of the head or something at restaurants or out at the grocery store for just being a kid. I remember years ago I was eating Chinese with a friend, and this family came in and were immediately just.... trashy. The waitress is taking their orders, and they get to this boy that looks broken at like seven years old. "Mom," whaps him on the head and goes, "Well, tell her what you want dumbass."

Multiple tables spoke up, and even the waitress spoke up, and they freaked out to the point of them leaving. It wasn't a win, though, because that kid just ended up having to go right back to whatever hellhole those "parents," had him in.

All the while yelling about how parents nowadays are pussies yadda yadda. Shit like that is not uncommon in rural areas.