Submitted by VaNillaRunner t3_zf3xn2 in Maine

Are you limited to borrowing books in the town your card was issued or can you use other libraries in the same county? TIA

Edit: Thank you guys for all the responses.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

xach t1_iz9vnm0 wrote

It varies. Ask the librarian of the issuing library to know for sure.

Bissel328 t1_iza2b6f wrote

The libraries transfer books as well. Windham does it for me all the time

dragonlovestacos t1_izaoxyj wrote

Speaking as a Maine Librarian: It depends on your home library. 60+ libraries participate in the Minerva Consortium - lending freely between those libraries using a van delivery system to transport items. A number libraries participate in the Maine Reciprocal Borrowing Program that allows walk-in borrowing (physical card required), some libraries have more local borrowing agreements with other nearby towns. Any resident in Cumberland and York (and some in Oxford) County can get a Portland Public Library Card, and any resident in Maine can get a Maine State Library Card or a Bangor Public Library Card. PPL, BPL, and MSL are all currently part of the ME Reciprocal Borrowing Program. PPL has partner libraries that can issue cards, but MSL and BPL physical cards need to be picked up in person.

MuForceShoelace t1_izaqbao wrote

I think most maine libraries don't share access in the building but many/most share books and can order books from other libraries.

AhhhLeah t1_izasrd3 wrote

Did you know that if you have a library card you have access to the free streaming channel Kanopy?

WalkerBRiley t1_izec93n wrote

Quite literally posted a link showing every library in maine that participates in reciprocal borrowing and yet for whatever reason "I dunno, ask I guess" gets the most upvotes and so will get seen the most. Just amazing.

xach t1_ized8eb wrote

There’s a bias towards the first reasonable-looking answer on Reddit. Asking your librarian is reasonable. You will get a definitive answer from them. Thanks for sharing the list. That’s good info.