Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Psychological-Bear-9 t1_j2c30m7 wrote

It is wild how different Maine is from a lot of places. I remember when I lived out west for a while, I saw a woman on the side of the road with her car at night. Had a friend who was local, born and raised, with me. I go to slow down. He looks at me.

"What are you doing?"

"Stopping to see if she needs help."

"So we can get robbed and murdered by some gangbangers hiding in the shadows? Keep fucking driving, you aren't in Kansas anymore."

Come to find out that type of stuff was really common in that area and there was a good chance with this situation that she was a lure. I remember him giving me the low down on shit to look out for and avoid. 23 year old Mainer at the time I thought I knew some things but didn't he prove me wrong.

010kindsofpeople t1_j2cheev wrote

I'm from a shitty neighborhood in California originally. I obsessively lock my house and car doors, even if only leaving for a moment. My Mainer friends think it's weird. Can't take the Slater Slums outta this boy.

dedoubt t1_j2ciss1 wrote

You have house keys???

I always have to remind myself to lock my car when I visit family in NH. Even in their small town, my car would be empty by morning.

010kindsofpeople t1_j2ckfl4 wrote

I actually drilled my doors for deadbolts when I bought my house. I couldn't imagine not having deadbolts with big strike plates and long long screws into reenforced studs. I know, it's silly, but I've done this on every place I've lived. It's been a great list: LA, NYC, Oakland, Baltimore... Heh

MAD_WRX t1_j2dvuql wrote

One of the 1st things I did when I bought my house.

t2ktill t1_j2dzz3j wrote

Holey shit i did exactly the same grew up in boston and providence. Lmfao

curtludwig t1_j2dgy9w wrote

Don't keep anything of value in your car. A broken window in a car sucks forever

Antnee83 t1_j2d6chg wrote

For me (grew up in detroit) it was seeing bikes casually left in people's front yards. That shit does NOT happen there. Ganked in an instant.

Psychological-Bear-9 t1_j2dng2g wrote

Man, I can't tell you how often people poke fun at me for constantly locking my car and apartment out of habit after it being a necessity for about four years. I could be at a friends house in the middle of the woods, or running into a gas station for five minutes, and it's still getting locked to this day.

DidDunMegasploded t1_j2dy6ux wrote

I was raised in NJ for 3 years, been in Maine for over 20. I have family that works in law. It was just common sense to keep our doors locked at all times. Can't really trust anyone around here, especially nowadays.

Shilo788 t1_j2fvy5h wrote

Yet I lived in NJ ,PA and Maine in small towns and had to look for the keys when I sold my houses as we never used them.except when we went on vacation for weeks. Each area has its on character.

saintalvis t1_j2euk8q wrote

Not uncommon to see cars running at gas stations or supermarkets and people get food or shoot the shit.

BostonFoliage t1_j2eay11 wrote

Maine is the safest and also the whitest state in the nation.

−2

UniqueWhittyName t1_j2eozsi wrote

Correlation does not equal causation

JAP42 t1_j2era2z wrote

50 correlations gives more credence to the assumption

−4