Submitted by zdboslaw t3_10dz91n in Maine

I drive I-95 from NH border to Exit 63 regularly at off hours. Is there anything remotely interesting open late along this stretch? A non-chain burger joint or an old-fashioned 24 diner? Or are the only options the turnpike rest areas?

I feel like there must be at least 1-2 places interesting (ie not Dunks or a gas station C-store) in the greater Portland area open late. No?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

linuxdragons t1_j4o4l4i wrote

Greater Portland? Open 24/7? Do you like LL Bean, bud?

schilling207 t1_j4ofgwc wrote

Rapid Rays in Saco is open til 11 most nights. Old style burger stand, no seating, about 5-8 min off the turnpike. Unfortunately there isn’t much open past 10-11 around here.

Bullmooose47 t1_j4ojlir wrote

Came here to say this! Great burger, fries, clam cakes, onion rings etc. No indoor seating, used to be able to stand and eat at the railings pre-Covid but I think that’s gone by the wayside. They won’t take phone orders so if you’re not there by closing at 11 you’re S.O.L.

PGids t1_j4pgqxw wrote

> clam cakes

I’ve been awake about 10 minutes and read this as clam shakes, the gagging was audible

Bullmooose47 t1_j4qa4ds wrote

“Clam Frappe” A special Downeast treat, but only for folks from away! 🤣🤢

Kikutwo t1_j4q0k2u wrote

Always wonder why people don't open more of these. Nobody can resist. Must be impossible to make any money.

getniceonthis34 t1_j4obn9n wrote

I’m pretty sure this state shuts down after 8pm for anything outside of Portland. Maybe BK at the rest stops but couldn’t tell ya post covid.

Existing_Bat1939 t1_j4olauk wrote

I know you're looking for local and better, but the BK at Exit 48 is open 24/7 and at least it's cheaper than the Turnpike versions.

When i was a kid, Cole Farms was open 5 Am to midnight, but that whole sentence is heartbreaking.

curtludwig t1_j4qrwag wrote

When I was a kid Cole Farms was run by a molester...

Existing_Bat1939 t1_j4rc7lg wrote

I'm aware of this. :(

curtludwig t1_j4rrhsl wrote

To be fair I was probably in middle school when that news came out.

We didn't go to Cole Farms a lot but I remember liking it...

zdboslaw OP t1_j4odzai wrote

I just figured folks who don’t work 9-5 might have options other than Circle K, Big Apple, Cumbys etc. Guess not.

You can take care of a lot of needs at C-stores but something local and non corporate is usually better

gamertag0311 t1_j4ppam6 wrote

I hear ya. I worked a job that was usually 6am till at least 5-6 pm. I quit last year and feel a lot better because my diet doesn't consist of gas station pizza or burgers twice a day. Sorry, no suggestions tho. Unless you like to eat firearms. Then go to Kittery Trading Post

moxie-maniac t1_j4og8pb wrote

An old joke, the Maine Turnpike breakfast was a coke and a devil dog.

Super-Lychee8852 t1_j4od924 wrote

LLBean is about the only thing we have that's open 24/7 and that's not exactly on that path

PGids t1_j4phdyr wrote

One thing I miss about traveling for work is the availability of 24/7 everything

When I was at the shop in St. Louis (apples to oranges to our whole state) I could get out at 3am, swing by Walmart and buy my lunch stuff for the week then have my choice of like 3 diners, a gaggle of Waffle Houses, Taco Bell or Chinese. The Chinese place was the farthest out if my way at a whopping 10 minutes.

That being said I’ll take our complete lack of traffic over the creature comforts of a large metro area. Getting on the highway there was an exercise in hoping and praying you didn’t die lol

nuevoguero t1_j4qht04 wrote

If you get off at exit 48 Westbrook/ Portland, I'm pretty sure Tasty Fried Chicken (next to JoAnn Fabric) is open until midnight if not later? If you are willing to venture further downtown, there's a few spot open until 1 or 2.

spintrackz t1_j4rylap wrote

Yep, tasty is open til 3. Chicken is awesome there but the lamb and rice platter is where it's at!

zdboslaw OP t1_j4qt6d9 wrote

Thank you so much! This is the perfect recommendation. The I 95 trip is part of a 4 hr trip that I make often at off-peak hours and I need something to break up the monotony, and also make it seem a little more exciting or special or fun than just a rest area, and also make me feel like I’m not just putting more money in the pockets of “The Man. “

tracyinge t1_j4rswli wrote

Tasty used to be open til 2am daily but now I think it's Thurs Fri Sat. They close earlier (midnight?) on other days. It's hit or miss (both the food & the service) but usually good. I suppose late at night you might get some fries that have been sitting for awhile or something like that. It's run by a family from Afghanistan I think, the chicken kabobs are really good. Avoid the chk nuggets, those are just from the freezer. The fried chicken and the kabobs are cooked-to-order, so call ahead if you don't have 10 mins to spare.

spintrackz t1_j4ryr5v wrote

Yup, guys who own it are all ex-Afghani Army Commandos. Awesome food, great people.

curtludwig t1_j4qsd41 wrote

Is it good? I'm always on the lookout for good fried chicken

DidDunMegasploded t1_j4o5jrb wrote

> non-chain burger joint

> non-chain

No, and...

> an old-fashioned 24-hour diner

...no. Maine doesn't have stuff that's open 24 hours aside from convenience stores, unfortunately. And the rest plazas, of course.

Closest non-chain burger joint I can think of is Elevation Burger, they were good when I ate there a couple days ago. But they don't stay open into the wee hours of the night.

Different-Truth3662 t1_j4owahm wrote

zdboslaw OP t1_j4oywto wrote

I’m not sure this is correct as of now. I think the BKs on the turnpike are back at 24/7 now.

Different-Truth3662 t1_j4oz2gz wrote

It mentioned those

−1

zdboslaw OP t1_j4pbx6d wrote

It left out Gray , Cumberland, West Gardiner. Now they are all 24hr BK. In peak Covid they were not.

eljefino t1_j4t7ur0 wrote

The Gray one you can sneak in the back door via route 100 as well.

MaineGal2022 t1_j4qxrve wrote

Boda on Congress Street in Portland is open until 11:30 pm on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

ralphy1010 t1_j4r8jka wrote

Rick's cabaret is open till about 1am

maine_buzzard t1_j4tyc10 wrote

It closes at 8pm weekdays, but if you have a chance, stop at the A-1 Diner in Gardiner. Take Exit 102 on I-95 head 3 miles east on Hwy 126. The food is worth it.

SadExtension524 t1_j4ufkge wrote

I think Mainers are all in bed by 8 pm lol

I will never forget landing one time at the jetport after 6 pm on a Sunday and this fellow passenger could not grasp WHY Starbucks was closed!