Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Difficult-Region-103 t1_j8peoyc wrote

Yes! There was a Master Chef episode where a guy put potato in his desert& the judges were like, who puts potato in DESERT? Mainers, thats who! Long live the Needham!!

DidDunMegasploded t1_j8p70bn wrote

Who here has ever even heard of a needham? Generally curious.

[deleted] t1_j8pcm19 wrote

[deleted]

DidDunMegasploded t1_j8peume wrote

I haven't. I've lived here for 20+ years and have never heard of needhams until now.

Hotpickledsprouts t1_j8pcrcx wrote

Bro they sell them at Renys. Ever been? I heard it's nice there

DidDunMegasploded t1_j8pek71 wrote

I haven't been inside a Reny's in...gosh, how long has it been? 6 years? Yeah.

Still never seen nor heard of these things.

−1

Hotpickledsprouts t1_j8pfg9x wrote

Bro my only advice for you is to be more aware of your surroundings. You're probably missing a lot. Have you looked into maybe, opening your eyes?

DidDunMegasploded t1_j8qzkbv wrote

I've tried, but when you wear $30 glasses for your nearsightedness and are chronically fatigued, it takes a lot of effort to actually see shit, y'know?

I don't even look at the stuff that's at store checkouts half the time. I just want to pay for my shit and leave.

Hotpickledsprouts t1_j8rzg76 wrote

You can have my eyes bud. When we go out together I'll tell you in vivid detail the many arranged sweet treats that you're missing out on

ecco-domenica t1_j8posml wrote

They're like whoopie pie's country cousin that never got famous. Used to be a common home made treat that your mother would put in your lunch box. Cheap to make at home. Because potatoes & paraffin wax were always on hand. Coconut and bakers chocolate easy to buy and available even in the boonies.

jpGrind t1_j8q9j88 wrote

i've known them as nonpareils since i was a kid. i never knew they were also called needhams until somewhat recently.

BlaineThePainInMaine t1_j8qzxmd wrote

Aren't nonpareils those little chocolate discs covered in white sprinkles?

jpGrind t1_j8rky4b wrote

i thought that's what we were talking about lol

nevermind i guess

ScenePlayful1872 t1_j9347zj wrote

Needhams are kinda like a Mounds bar— chocolate covered, coconut, but the sweet white part is just potato & powdered sugar instead of monosodoguckitymuckcrose

jpGrind t1_j94nze8 wrote

i must have got my wires crossed somehow

my dad loves nonpareils. he would buy them by the bag when hannaford used to stock them in their self-serv candy chute things. you'd scoop them into your bag and then pay by weight at the register. if it wasn't that, it was a couple boxes of snocaps.

i have no idea why i held such confident beliefs that needhams and nonpareils are the same thing. but that's on brand for me.

ecco-domenica t1_j8r5b5d wrote

Nonpareils are a completely different candy. No relationship whatsoever.

jpGrind t1_j8rl43c wrote

well, clearly i am a dunce lol

ecco-domenica t1_j8roax2 wrote

No, no. Nonpareils and needhams just don't happen to be your area of expertise, that's all!

ella0la t1_j8qbbyx wrote

i’ve always seen them next to gas station and grocery store registers

ScenePlayful1872 t1_j8p8gdz wrote

Yes indeed! Maine Potato candy is unique. Grew up eating Seavey’s, now we make our own for the holidays.

JonesoftheNorth t1_j8p7r3y wrote

Grew up in The County and had never heard of them until reading the article. Are those a "down south" thing?

ecco-domenica t1_j8pp08m wrote

Very much a County thing. They were kind of a poverty food in the County so maybe before your time. Kids often brought them to school in their lunchboxes. Like whoopie pies used to be before they went viral.

KNORTHWIND t1_j8v89j4 wrote

The real question is: why isn't there already a State Needham Day?

Icolan t1_j8se4x3 wrote

Yes, Maine State Needham Day needs to be January 1st through December 31st of every year.

rofopp t1_j8t5vu5 wrote

Need ‘em? Don’t want them

Oniriggers t1_j8pb9ix wrote

I never heard of them until moving to maine 2 years ago, asked why they existed and were called a town in mass?