Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ToesocksandFlipflops t1_j71bj9j wrote

I gotta tell you for some reason I am irrationally angry about the coverage about this cold snap. Like it's 36 hours of below zero, this is no big deal. Slow news week or something.

Wear a coat don't stay outside. Are people that stupid we need to talk about frost bite for 5 damn days. Ugh I gotta chill about this.

ecco-domenica t1_j72sbm6 wrote

When I was 13, I got tired of waiting for the bus in the Caribou middle school auditorium after early dismissal one day for a blizzard. It was a bad winter, we'd already had several blizzards, and it had all gotten pretty old, just so boring. So I decided to walk home about 8/10ths of a mile. NBD. Did it all the time. Oh yeah, and I'd forgot my mittens & hat that day.

I froze the tops of my ears and all my finger tips in the 10 minutes it took to run in the blowing snow to my father's office that was a little less than half way. He was closing up to go home but luckily was still there to let me in, and he got me thawed out. It was . . . painful. It took a week for all the black bits to peel off and they're still sensitive to cold 55 years later.

I think us all putting up with hearing about frostbite for 5 damn days is worth it if one dumb kid like me doesn't have that experience.

ToesocksandFlipflops t1_j74ar7h wrote

I had an experience where I frost bit my toes snowboarding in 1995, stupid stupid me, got home at 10 pm ran a hot bath and stuck my feet in.. and felt the worst pain of my life.. what an idiot I am.

dabeeman t1_j71zj27 wrote

it is irrational since it’s possible we break some records. it’s not the end of the world but it’s certainly news worthy.

Mist_deBall t1_j71jfox wrote

It was only 4 years ago when we had a cold snap that lasted two weeks. Sheesh

ToesocksandFlipflops t1_j71k6f3 wrote

Right!

Got a message from my kids superintendent last night, they can wait in the house the bus will still stop. This morning it was 22 degrees at 4am. Yesterday however it was 4. I get that this afternoon the Temps will drop like a rock but come on..

Zyra00 t1_j71yjqu wrote

22 degrees and-60 are 82 degrees apart just fyi

ToesocksandFlipflops t1_j71znr1 wrote

Sure wind chill in my area it's -32 to -40 with wind chill. Cold sure. But for 36 hours no need to have a panic.

I understand the stress on the unhoused population I really do, and there are a multitude of resources out there for them.

−1

Zyra00 t1_j7215d1 wrote

I mean, it makes sense that the news is covering it - people need to know to not leave their animals outside and try not to be caught in the weather. You can get frostbite in less than 10m.

RedBinome t1_j73lprl wrote

Nice! My school district won't do that, instead they messaged asking us to wait outside for the kids to be dropped off 🤔

WalkerBRiley t1_j72nq6e wrote

I'm actually pretty relieved that the news cycle is so slow that all they have to report on is it's a bit chillier than normal.